2020 Round 1 Line up

I'll say this. With a genuine half playing and genuine game plan for round 1, everyone (macca, boyd, bird milf etc) will play better. I have no doubts. This year required a lot of individual performances for us to be competitive.
With a halfback knowing what they have to do, our backlines strike power stretches wider, our backs good at fielding kicks (coates, kahu etc) become more dangerous and the player trying to carry the halfback role (turpin, boyd, milford, macca) can concentrate on what they do best.
I cant say who will flourish as a result, but macca's and boyd's hard work at training wont hurt. If milf followed suit, imagine the results.

I'll say this. With a genuine half playing and genuine game plan for round 1, everyone (macca, boyd, bird milf etc) will play better. I have no doubts. This year required a lot of individual performances for us to be competitive.
With a halfback knowing what they have to do, our backlines strike power stretches wider, our backs good at fielding kicks (coates, kahu etc) become more dangerous and the player trying to carry the halfback role (turpin, boyd, milford, macca) can concentrate on what they do best.
I cant say who will flourish as a result, but macca's and boyd's hard work at training wont hurt. If milf followed suit, imagine the results.
The missing element is a structured game plan both for attack and defence, if we can start working to a plan as opposed to the rabble that we had this season, combined with an actual half playing their role, we will be much better placed than last year.

as for who lines up for round 1?
I think we have to think about players who complement the new option from half. Milford could certainly play 5/8, but so too could bird (I think Milford will bet the first shot though to provide kicking options). We will probably be looking at a good contestant or two for the high ball (we have a few to choose from there, though Oates has been very good in the past and hopefully hits the start of the season in peak fitness). Kahu, coates, and farnsworth will all grow into their roles.
Boyd's position as a centre, wing etc depends on the other players at this stage.
If as others have said though, he trains hard and others do not I have no problem playing him in either centre or wing (attitude should certainly figure in selections and attitude to training is important). Macca and Kahu are also in similar positions.
The fullback position is up in the air for me. I don't discount the possibility of isaako, but it could also be milford or bird. It all depends on what the coach is trying to implement. It could also be someone out of the blue like nui (a long term strategy).
Our forwards pretty much pick themselves, with undoubtedly Carrigan having a larger role this year and the expectation of an improved and more consistent performance from TPJ, flegler and others as they mature.
Of course there are no guarantees and croft could prove a dud, Siebold struggle to put a game plan into action or a major injury occurr to the likes of one of our props or a spine player going good.

The missing element is a structured game plan both for attack and defence, if we can start working to a plan as opposed to the rabble that we had this season, combined with an actual half playing their role, we will be much better placed than last year.

My concern is that so much starts with/from the dummy half. Or ends in Macca's case. It's hard to create expansive ball play and support running with a myopic hooker whose game is to pass one out and rarely anything more. You end up with unconnected corridors which Croft or Milf will find hard to bridge to get the ball moving out wider to runners.

What depresses me about next season is Macca's influence on the team given the pivotal role the hooker plays (or doesn't).

Last edited:
My concern is that so much starts with/from the dummy half. Or ends in Macca's case. It's hard to create expansive ball play and support running with a myopic hooker whose game is to pass one out and rarely anything more. You end up with unconnected corridors which Croft or Milf will find hard to bridge to get the ball moving out wider to runners.

What depresses me about next season is Macca's influence on the team given the pivotal role the hooker plays (or doesn't).
If Macca is still standing between the ball and where it needs to go even in week one, I don't like Seibold's chances of making it through the season.

Our team is starting to take shape. We’re still short a good option for fullback and Turpin probably isn’t ready for 80 minutes. Hopefully Macca, Boyd, and Kahu move in in before 2021 and free enough space to fix these short comings.

For 2020:

1. Isaako
2, Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Farnworth (Boyd/kahu)
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. McCullough (opening 20 mins)
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (C)
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan (VC)

14. Turpin
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Flegler

Our team is starting to take shape. We’re still short a good option for fullback and Turpin probably isn’t ready for 80 minutes. Hopefully Macca, Boyd, and Kahu move in in before 2021 and free enough space to fix these short comings.

For 2020:

1. Isaako
2, Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Farnworth (Boyd/kahu)
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. McCullough (opening 20 mins)
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (C)
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan (VC)

14. Turpin
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Flegler
That's about right I reckon. Despite all the soundings McCullough will be first choice No. 9 again. There's three top flight goal kickers in that team.

I imagine Isaako will be given six/seven games to prove himself at fullback. Last year - tough year for him with family stuff and second year syndrome - so I'm predicting he'll lift in 2020.

Nui and Arthurs to provide the pressure on Issako.

That's about right I reckon. Despite all the soundings McCullough will be first choice No. 9 again. There's three top flight goal kickers in that team.

I imagine Isaako will be given six/seven games to prove himself at fullback. Last year - tough year for him with family stuff and second year syndrome - so I'm predicting he'll lift in 2020.

Nui and Arthurs to provide the pressure on Issako.

yeah and as much as most wont want to admit it, Kahu could always push Isaako out of fb if it isn’t working. He’ll be reliable but unspectacular.

I'm kind of wanting Niu to win the spot. Love the idea of a kid coming from the clouds.
I'm not saying it will be him but I just got a feeling siebold will make a statement in round 1 with a shock starter.
Its based on nothing but just a feeling from what he was saying at the season's end.
It could be Nui or perhaps a winger but I think he wants and probably needs to shake some of regulars up (both old and young players).
This seems especially necessary when you hear about poor diets, and slow starters with regular spots in the team.

Our best three in 2020 will be Boyd, Isaako and perese. The worse will be Lodge, Fifita and the forever shit macca. Isaako will be the Dally M. Mark my words.

Safe to say you either;

A - don't actually watch any games
B - are in fact under 8 years old

These are the only 2 reasons that could explain such a post

Goes without saying but whoever gets the #1 is going to be so important. Whether it is Isaako, Arthars or Niu I don’t have a preference, I just hope they kill it and I hope they keep Milford, Kahu and Boyd well away from that jersey.

Safe to say you either;

A - don't actually watch any games
B - are in fact under 8 years old

These are the only 2 reasons that could explain such a post
Choice C. Watched every game more than once, over 8 years old (may not act like it) and likes to make unorthodox predictions

Choice C. Watched every game more than once, over 8 years old (may not act like it) and likes to make unorthodox predictions
I refuse to believe any Broncos fan subjected themselves to that Semi Final more than once.

I was on a plane flight during the semi-final . I was really angry that I was missing the game but worked out in the end. So I never actually watched it.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.