SPOILER 2020 was a hiccup. Normal programming to resume today

do you ever get tired of being wrong ... just admit you have no interest in reading anything positive (especially from me) and i'll move on myself.

the posts in question were quite long and detailed ... I can understand you not remembering them because you would have swiped left immediately and not bothered reading them.

I love being wrong in my negativity about the Broncos but I would also like to think I am capable of seeing things from others' points of view. I remember something from you and I may have even liked the post. That said, I do remember a lot of being based on unfounded reasons and pure hope. This is the thing, I WANT reasons to be positive but I want them to be genuine, not just blind hope or misguided support of a regime that has done nothing to warrant it. This is exactly what you do though, you blindly believe that the Broncos powers that be have done nothing wrong and are all really good, competent guys that we should all trust because...reasons (that are not currently accurate or true).

I know you likely don't believe it but I want to have hope and yes, there are reasons to be positive that I can too see, though these are VASTLY outweighed by reasons to be negative. Even though it appears we will get a new CEO, he isn't signed on yet and as it currently stands, nothing has changed and in terms of the wooden spoon playing squad, it has gotten weaker overall. Hopefully, that change before the season starts but again, this is all based on hope that injuries will not strike again and one or two more key signings are incoming. Nothing has happened in that regard yet unless you count Dale Copley and John Asiata as stars. It also appears two more of our very best kids can't wait to leave.

So I guess more accurately, tell me why I shouldn't be negative in light of the above reasons and yes, I am GENUINELY asking for your counter arguments on these points, not some ridiculous jab at my swiping preferences and frequency of wrongness that you somehow seem to think make your points better somehow.

Nothing amiss with fans having differing opinions at this point in proceedings.
At this stage last year our faith was in a rookie coach who was coach of the year and I for one had every hope we were on a winner to take us into the years ahead - a team to be feared. He took us the other way to the spoon and players along with fans and supporters lost faith and some players began to test the market and look at other clubs.
Now this year we have put that faith again in a rookie coach who has struggled to get a head coaching job in the NRL anywhere else. I again have every hope and as they say in the racing game “ you never give up when you have an untried 2yr old”
Thing is those same players shopping themselves around back then are reported to be still doing just that so I guess there’s every reason for some to look at the glass half full and others half empty.
Like with Seibold, I am more than happy to give Walters every chance to prove he is either successful or a dud. No doubt this time next year there is every likelihood we may well have the answer.

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone. This is the year we win the premiership.

This is what I've been saying all along!

Bruce Willis Reaction GIF

Pundits are far too recency biased with sports betting.

I read one website tipping that the top 8 will be the same as last year aside from one team joining (titans) and another team dropping (Cronulla I think)

Another forecasting Broncs to get the spoon again, I think objectively a club that can get thousands of bottoms on seats whilst dishing up the tripe of the last two years would be hard pressed to not rise significantly.

My tip for most places higher on the ladder is Brisbane and most fallen is the Roosters.

I love being wrong in my negativity about the Broncos but I would also like to think I am capable of seeing things from others' points of view. I remember something from you and I may have even liked the post. That said, I do remember a lot of being based on unfounded reasons and pure hope. This is the thing, I WANT reasons to be positive but I want them to be genuine, not just blind hope or misguided support of a regime that has done nothing to warrant it. This is exactly what you do though, you blindly believe that the Broncos powers that be have done nothing wrong and are all really good, competent guys that we should all trust because...reasons (that are not currently accurate or true).

I know you likely don't believe it but I want to have hope and yes, there are reasons to be positive that I can too see, though these are VASTLY outweighed by reasons to be negative. Even though it appears we will get a new CEO, he isn't signed on yet and as it currently stands, nothing has changed and in terms of the wooden spoon playing squad, it has gotten weaker overall. Hopefully, that change before the season starts but again, this is all based on hope that injuries will not strike again and one or two more key signings are incoming. Nothing has happened in that regard yet unless you count Dale Copley and John Asiata as stars. It also appears two more of our very best kids can't wait to leave.

So I guess more accurately, tell me why I shouldn't be negative in light of the above reasons and yes, I am GENUINELY asking for your counter arguments on these points, not some ridiculous jab at my swiping preferences and frequency of wrongness that you somehow seem to think make your points better somehow.
I think the issue is accurate understanding of the situation. I probably should say an understanding of exactly where the Broncos sit.

The thing is there's probably less than a handful of people who are across EVERY aspect or variable within the organization.

None of them are on this forum. If we take that as factual it begs the question 'why work yourself in to a lather without all the facts?'

Whether a person has an optimistic or pessimistic outlook it should still be acknowledged that we all do not have the information to adopt either outlook with any real conviction or certainty.

Me personally, I think the future is bright. I base that on my belief that the administration has heard the calls from all points. The cries of outrage about the spoon. Change for the better has become the imperative and I don't doubt it will happen.

I believe people behind the scenes are working feverishly towards that goal. I cannot be absolutely certain of this but I have spoken with one influential and important person within the organization and that's what they believe.

and as it currently stands, nothing has changed and in terms of the wooden spoon playing squad, it has gotten weaker overall.
Just on this bit, the squad may be weaker but they were never a wooden spoon level squad. They just massively, massively underperformed due to a combination of a big fat wanker who couldn't coach his way out of a greasy paper bag, a clueless incompetent CEO who bought whatever garbage Isaac Moses was shilling at double the going rate and whose only meaningful contribution to the club culture was sacking an actual successful coach because he and the chair were jealous, the first two combining to produce stellar deals like sending away our only other experienced hooker on a money back deal, an horrific injury toll, and in the end a mentally beaten team exhausted from ongoing thrashings who managed to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Even if the squad is weaker on paper I expect better performances this year under an actual coach. And things will get even better again when White goes gentle into that good night, with Morris hopefully hot on his heels.

Just on this bit, the squad may be weaker but they were never a wooden spoon level squad. They just massively, massively underperformed due to a combination of a big fat wanker who couldn't coach his way out of a greasy paper bag, a clueless incompetent CEO who bought whatever garbage Isaac Moses was shilling at double the going rate and whose only meaningful contribution to the club culture was sacking an actual successful coach because he and the chair were jealous, the first two combining to produce stellar deals like sending away our only other experienced hooker on a money back deal, an horrific injury toll, and in the end a mentally beaten team exhausted from ongoing thrashings who managed to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Even if the squad is weaker on paper I expect better performances this year under an actual coach. And things will get even better again when White goes gentle into that good night, with Morris hopefully hot on his heels.

I hope this is the case but it just highlights there are massive cultural problems from the top down. When the going got really tough last season...well we learned that only Carrigan, Haas, Staggs and Farnworth were willing to rise to the occasion. One of those guys though has one foot out the door already.

I am hopeful and expecting this season will be better too but it is based only on hope, nothing else substantial. I am hopeful that the new coach is good but no one really knows. I am hopeful that this squad will play more to their potential but I fear they won't. I am hopeful we will get Donuts but I am fearful that our board will somehow manage to screw this one up too based on very substantial recent evidence in terms of decision making. I am hopeful the club will turn it all around but not hopeful it will happen under current management. I know this gets me labelled a pessimist but I just don't want to get my hopes up when the current perceivable reality and the known knowns do not provide much to be optimistic about.

Last edited:
I think the issue is accurate understanding of the situation. I probably should say an understanding of exactly where the Broncos sit.

The thing is there's probably less than a handful of people who are across EVERY aspect or variable within the organization.

None of them are on this forum. If we take that as factual it begs the question 'why work yourself in to a lather without all the facts?'

Whether a person has an optimistic or pessimistic outlook it should still be acknowledged that we all do not have the information to adopt either outlook with any real conviction or certainty.

Me personally, I think the future is bright. I base that on my belief that the administration has heard the calls from all points. The cries of outrage about the spoon. Change for the better has become the imperative and I don't doubt it will happen.

I believe people behind the scenes are working feverishly towards that goal. I cannot be absolutely certain of this but I have spoken with one influential and important person within the organization and that's what they believe.
Great post, I completely agree.

It's not just hope, also probability.

Every season you expect the Gold Coast team to have a much higher probability of going bankrupt than winning the comp, reverse for the Broncos.

Strong club that has been shooting itself in the foot has started removing the weapons, that is more than hope.

I hope this is the case but it just highlights there are massive cultural problems from the top down. When the going got really tough last season...well we learned that only Carrigan, Haas, Staggs and Farnworth were willing to rise to the occasion. One of those guys though has one foot out the door already.

I am hopeful and expecting this season will be better too but it is based only on hope, nothing else substantial. I am hopeful that the new coach is good but no one really knows. I am hopeful that this squad will play more to their potential but I fear they won't. I am hopeful we will get Donuts but I am fearful that our board will somehow manage to screw this one up too based on very substantial recent evidence in terms of decision making. I am hopeful the club will turn it all around but not hopeful it will happen under current management. I know this gets me labelled a pessimist but I just don't want to get my hopes up when the current perceivable reality and the known knowns do not provide much to be optimistic about.
I dont want to sound overtly "pie in the sky" optimistic but I think huge is right in that this squad was never a true wooden spoon squad. Yes they did under perform badly and they were led badly.
If things didn't change dramatically a wooden spoon would seem the logical conclusion given the nature of squad being weakened for talent.
But it was never about talent. It was about harnessing it. How many times a game would we put ourselves on the front foot to waste a fourth tackle play? How many times did we have defences on rack, only to kick it for a 20 metre tap, drop the ball, or squeeze the winger over the side line, releasing all the pressure. Often our opponents would then seize on our lack of concentration and counter-attack. Why? Because we lacked the concentration and experience to play the long game.
To understand defence is as important as attack and that every attacking play is potentially one you might end up tackling on.
Remember those games we'd trap our opponents down in a corner? Remember how much better we looked? And then we find a way to stuff it up.
We don't have to two cooper crooks who pick the right move every time, but we need that understanding too back each other up when things go wrong. To cover for each other. To know if Milford takes a dart on a 5th, another player follows who can finish it, either by backing up a pass or quickly putting in a strategic kick. That comes from halves and spine in general working as one.
If likewise our forwards are tired and theirs aren't, a risky play isn't always the best play, no matter how promising it might be. In those times you'd see a langer, Walters, or lockyer either take a ruck or kick for touch.
We finally have a bloke who understood all that and wasn't afraid to slow the game down if he needed.
He got it into their heads when he was an assistant. Now he is head coach he can drive home the message, with two experienced coaches (one a very underrated ex Nrl coach) to help him.
We have both ex forwards and ex halves to cover all the aspects of positional play.
I'm not saying we won't make mistakes and we won't lose games, but if we get a sniff of victory, we have the blokes to make our boys get the job done.
And after all that we still lose? 😯Well there's still the mighty bronco girls to show how its done 😁

My optimism almost solely relies on if and when White leaves and who replaces him.

We have not adapted to the new rules one bit when Seibold was in charge. We still looked as clueless even with Gentle so that should tell us that our halves and leaders in Glenn/Carrigan or Darius were just as shallow, football-IQ wise. The incoming coach is a legend and all but will the players continue on with their dumb wooden spoon level of play.

Bulldogs did not have the talent, but had some semblance of structure and were competitive most weeks. If we can match the Dogs for their 2020 effort, we can get off last place for sure. Problem is they have upgraded on their talent so it still could be a straight shot out for the spoon again.

I dont want to sound overtly "pie in the sky" optimistic but I think huge is right in that this squad was never a true wooden spoon squad. Yes they did under perform badly and they were led badly.
If things didn't change dramatically a wooden spoon would seem the logical conclusion given the nature of squad being weakened for talent.
But it was never about talent. It was about harnessing it. How many times a game would we put ourselves on the front foot to waste a fourth tackle play? How many times did we have defences on rack, only to kick it for a 20 metre tap, drop the ball, or squeeze the winger over the side line, releasing all the pressure. Often our opponents would then seize on our lack of concentration and counter-attack. Why? Because we lacked the concentration and experience to play the long game.
To understand defence is as important as attack and that every attacking play is potentially one you might end up tackling on.
Remember those games we'd trap our opponents down in a corner? Remember how much better we looked? And then we find a way to stuff it up.
We don't have to two cooper crooks who pick the right move every time, but we need that understanding too back each other up when things go wrong. To cover for each other. To know if Milford takes a dart on a 5th, another player follows who can finish it, either by backing up a pass or quickly putting in a strategic kick. That comes from halves and spine in general working as one.
If likewise our forwards are tired and theirs aren't, a risky play isn't always the best play, no matter how promising it might be. In those times you'd see a langer, Walters, or lockyer either take a ruck or kick for touch.
We finally have a bloke who understood all that and wasn't afraid to slow the game down if he needed.
He got it into their heads when he was an assistant. Now he is head coach he can drive home the message, with two experienced coaches (one a very underrated ex Nrl coach) to help him.
We have both ex forwards and ex halves to cover all the aspects of positional play.
I'm not saying we won't make mistakes and we won't lose games, but if we get a sniff of victory, we have the blokes to make our boys get the job done.
And after all that we still lose? 😯Well there's still the mighty bronco girls to show how its done 😁
I thoroughly read all this post and would point out that it's Huge not huge, okay🌝

Pundits are far too recency biased with sports betting.

I read one website tipping that the top 8 will be the same as last year aside from one team joining (titans) and another team dropping (Cronulla I think)

Another forecasting Broncs to get the spoon again, I think objectively a club that can get thousands of bottoms on seats whilst dishing up the tripe of the last two years would be hard pressed to not rise significantly.

My tip for most places higher on the ladder is Brisbane and most fallen is the Roosters.
Hopefully we finish in front of rorters but i cant see it.....but the sharts could be competing with us down the bottom

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • heartly87
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
  • theshed
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.