POST GAME [2022 State of Origin - Game I] NSW vs QLD

Storm have found their new coach. Hope Billy loves living in Melbourne. Aware he had help from others but the players were all on the same page and that’s a big part of his job.

people need to hold their horses on this ... as big Mal (and even Freddy) will tell you there is a very big difference between Origin coaching and club coaching

Billy Slater is a supercoach in the making. I can see him replacing Bellamy when he retires. I'd swap Kevvie for Billy if given the chance.
Based on what are you so sure he's a supercoach? Bit early to be giving Kev the boot..

Can anyone seriously name a bad player from either side? Coates was pretty ordinary but given he was taken off, I'll give him a pass because he might have warmed to the task a little more. Crichton got thrown to the wolves, Staggs looked threatening at times but didn't get too much ball and also didn't really go looking for it. Genuinely struggling to think of a bad player. Great game.

Can anyone seriously name a bad player from either side? Coates was pretty ordinary but given he was taken off, I'll give him a pass because he might have warmed to the task a little more. Crichton got thrown to the wolves, Staggs looked threatening at times but didn't get too much ball and also didn't really go looking for it. Genuinely struggling to think of a bad player. Great game.
Luai was pretty ordinary.

It's amazing the team you can build if you don't have a cap to worry about.

I'm not giving Coates a pass mark, he gets folded back every time he takes a hit up and for a bloke of his size it shouldn't be happening

He absolutely should've scored an intercept try too, I reckon Selwyn takes that and scores

That's a fair shout. Same with Cleary, not the same player without his pimples. But were they ordinary or just well contained?
I think Cleary was well-contained, but at least IMO you could see him trying. Luai seemed to shirk a lot of responsibility last night.

Edit: His stats give him 2 try assists and 3 LB assists, funny the difference between the eye test and the stats.

I'm not giving Coates a pass mark, he gets folded back every time he takes a hit up and for a bloke of his size it shouldn't be happening

He absolutely should've scored an intercept try too, I reckon Selwyn takes that and scores
Agree, he had a fair grab at that.

I think Cleary was well-contained, but at least IMO you could see him trying. Luai seemed to shirk a lot of responsibility last night.

Luai doesn't make any rep side without a bloke like Cleary beside him, I don't think he's even the best 5/8 for NSW. They've just gone with him because of his "combination" with Cleary. If they go with the same halves in Game 2 I reckon Billy will be feeling confident that he can shut them down, again

Based on what are you so sure he's a supercoach? Bit early to be giving Kev the boot..

Yep...rep football coaching is a completely different game to coaching in the NRL.

Slater has all of the right tools to be a very successful coach. He's had a good education and he's very highly rated among the coaching ranks.

But, it's too early to tell whether he will be successful. He wouldn't be the first "next supercoach" to hit the ground running, but end up not being able to handle the weekly pressure of being a head coach.

Active Now

• AscotinOz
  • kiwibronco
  • Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.