POST GAME 2023 NRL Grand Final - Penrith vs Brisbane

I think what grinds my gears the most about the loss is we gave the NRL exactly what they wanted.

Passionate QLD fans filled the stadiums, smashed the ratings and paid the exorbitant prices to line the NRL pockets............ and then we choked.

But we didn't just lose like they were hoping we would.........we did it to ourselves and in a manner that gave the media and NRL's darling team their friggin fairytale comeback and threepeat.

Me too, it was a choke, one of the great chokes too. We weren't up by 4 with 10 to go, trying to hold onto a lead, we were up by 16 with 20 to go. I was thinking "well they may score 1 try, perhaps 2".. to let them score 3 tries, unanswered? It's one of the great chokes.

All of the media would be no doubt getting stuck in and they are within their rights to do so.
Penrith did their thing but really it was Nathan Cleary making every single right decision where as our halfback barely made a play to apply any pressure to them.
Maybe a couple of our gun players really were carrying some injuries.

They can't come out and say that though can they?

They would be accused of making excuses.

All I know is we had backrowers missing simple one on one tackles late in the game and that was really the difference.
No doubt that brain explosions happened.

Many other factors came into the end result too though I think. Some of which were out of our control. It's never as simple as the label 'choke"

I agree, Herbies fucked pass to no one cost us more than any of the other mistakes. I honestly believe we score again if that doesn't happen. They were gone. FFS I just cannot stop thinking about it.

Has anyone heard from @ZTop
+1

I don't want to over analyze the game nor bring it down to one moment/player... but this was the play that really stood out for me the most.

The fact that no one desperately dived for the ball either was a worry.

We score there and its game over.

At the end of the day, it was definitely a mad tilt in the last ten minutes.

I think every Bronco fan had a sinking feeling at 24-20 and this is where the mental scars of 2015 come in (for us fans)

I don't know if we can handle another GF with a loss like this... that would be too much.

However the next GF will be ... oh so sweet.

I think what grinds my gears the most about the loss is we gave the NRL exactly what they wanted.

Passionate QLD fans filled the stadiums, smashed the ratings and paid the exorbitant prices to line the NRL pockets............ and then we choked.

But we didn't just lose like they were hoping we would.........we did it to ourselves and in a manner that gave the media and NRL's darling team their friggin fairytale comeback and threepeat.
To paraphrase V'landys: they couldn't have scripted it any better.
"For us, we couldn’t have orchestrated this any better, the rise of the Broncos is a marketing manager’s dream really."

Well, I’m super proud of them.

We went toe to toe with arguably the best side in recent history.

The season couldn’t separate us. Same points. Fact.

They only win the minor premiership because we rested players. Fact.

We won 1 lost 1 against them. Fact.

In the GF they threw everything at us and at HT we were only 2 pts behind them. Fact.

We played 20 mins of scintillating footy and smashed them for 3 converted tries in next to no time. Fact.

We’ve lost the GF by 2 points. Fact.

It’s tough to take given the lead we had, the way we played in that first part of the second half, but reflection gives a whole different slant on it.

Next season we will be seen as a serious contender, and what Kevvie, the coaching staff and the players have gone this season is make the league fear us again.

We’re back baby, watch out next season, we’re coming for your Mommas.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

I've watched the replay a couple of times now and always stop at that moment. If Palasia was 1 sec slower on his run it would have landed on his chest. ****!

And maybe he knocks on. Or maybe he busts through but drops it over the line. And the Panthers come back anyway.

The what ifs will drive you mad. I know it's hard not to revisit these moments, but I don't think you can point to any one moment as the reason we lost. A bunch of little things snowballed, and it was like watching a car crash you know is coming but can't stop.

We should focus on the future, and making sure this is the last GF Cleary and the Panthers win for a long time. We know how to beat them, and we've shown others how to do it too. They likely won't be able to immediately do it at the level we can, but I can't help but think there will be a lot of other coaches taking a long look at our style of play and thinking about how they can adapt. If anything, it should make for a better overall quality of game to watch, with any luck.

All I know is we had backrowers missing simple one on one tackles late in the game and that was really the difference.
I subjected myself to watching the whole thing again…They turned their attack under all night, like they didn’t attack our edges hardly all night. Our middles and second row were cooked. And Patty head butting Fish’s knee pretty much fucked him. It’s frustrating because our errors and defensive load meant we shouldn’t have been 16 points up and I think that fact would have been inside every one of the panthers heads. We needed to keep it together for a 5 minute period in the middle of the second half and we would have run away with it.

If we can put together an 80min performance, we won't have to worry about fitness as we won't have to make many tackles.. Reynolds will be able to go to 40 years old cos all he'll need to do is be out there waving his baton.

Two telling things for me is the set distance- at half time Penrith were going at 10m more and by full time that was 8m more a set- that's an extra tackle a set.

This allowed Penrith to be more attacking with their kicks- four repeat sets. compared to zero, six short grubbers compared to one seven bombs compared to two.

If you take out Mam's running explosion and it stays 8-6 Penrith probably still score three tries at the end full of running.

It's the classic bash them early win late.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.