POST GAME 2023 NRL Grand Final - Penrith vs Brisbane

Two telling things for me is the set distance- at half time Penrith were going at 10m more and by full time that was 8m more a set- that's an extra tackle a set.

This allowed Penrith to be more attacking with their kicks- four repeat sets. compared to zero, six short grubbers compared to one seven bombs compared to two.

If you take out Mam's running explosion and it stays 8-6 Penrith probably still score three tries at the end full of running.

It's the classic bash them early win late.

" Line Speed " ...

" Line Speed " ...

Brisbane precontact metres was actually more than Penrith. Just. Which shocked me.

Brisbane 6.98m
Penrith 6.81m

So, they were getting up quickly, but Penrith still made ground. That's 30m more the Broncos made than Penrith.

Brisbane precontact metres was actually more than Penrith. Just. Which shocked me.

Brisbane 6.98m
Penrith 6.81m

So, they were getting up quickly, but Penrith still made ground. That's 30m more the Broncos made than Penrith.

Where do they measure it from, from the ruck, or where the ball is caught? Our runners were having to come from a lot further back just to get up some speed before the defence was on them, so their metres from where they caught the ball would look okay until you saw where that was in relation to the ruck.

I'm actually finding a lot of respect from people around me about how they are treating me after this loss.

I haven't had a single person throw it in my face, most people are just giving space and not even talking about it.

I've had a few clients even give me a call to offer condolences.

Has been a heartening part of the process I feel.

Not sure how everyone else is going and whether they have had assholes rubbing it in?

Where do they measure it from, from the ruck, or where the ball is caught? Our runners were having to come from a lot further back just to get up some speed before the defence was on them, so their metres from where they caught the ball would look okay until you saw where that was in relation to the ruck.

Teams just take post contact metres away from total run metres then divide by the number of runs.

It's pretty crude but it gives an indication of line speed and nearly every time the team that wins the pre contact metres wins the game.

Teams just take post contact metres away from total run metres then divide by the number of runs.

It's pretty crude but it gives an indication of line speed and nearly every time the team that wins the pre contact metres wins the game.

I don't understand this really. All you need to do is to have watched the Grand Final to know that the Broncos line speed was slow moving garbage.

Brisbane 6.98m
Penrith 6.81m

So the difference may have been the team with the better wrestle won the field position game

The minute it was game over, i switched off the stream, haven't looked at any NRL related stories, and same with any social media. No need to really, when you know that all you are going to see/read/hear is how good penrith were .. and how horrific Broncos were. 😡👿

As far as any s*** being put on Reynolds .. all that is journos attempting to undermine Adam. Hate hearing s*** like "oh Adam has been a great servant to the game, brilliant player, but it's time for him to go. They always say something nice, and then just s*** all over him. My take on that kinda s*** is that they know, that in so many different aspects, Reyno will still be a weapon for us. And of course lowlife nsw media ****** don't want that happening. Especially so when they know that Adam is probably burning right now and maybe he is a bit vulnerable. Kick them when they are down, and try to get into Bronx players heads. I suspect that Adam is going to come out next season on fire, and put the scumbags journos and his other detractors right back in their places.

******* ridiculous for anyone to suggest his time is up.

Really hope that the order for a total media blackout comes down from Kev & Dave.

Players just don't need that kinda s***.
I did the exact same thing after Cleary scored the last try. Absolutely no point watching it. This is the only place I visited and that too after a day. Like everyone, I’m gutted BUT the good thing is - it’s only a 5 month break during which our team can learn from the mistakes and be back much stronger.
As to Adam being targeted by the media, well, who gives a rats ass?

I for one, reckon that whole team coming to LA for a mini preseason at Rams training base is a big boon to the group especially, to Adam. The team will learn & experience a lot. The positive effects of that trip will be witnessed by everyone next season.

2024 is the year of Broncos. Period!

It took me so long and I still haven’t recovered from 2015 and it’s happened all again why just why!!!???

I did the exact same thing after Cleary scored the last try. Absolutely no point watching it. This is the only place I visited and that too after a day. Like everyone, I’m gutted BUT the good thing is - it’s only a 5 month break during which our team can learn from the mistakes and be back much stronger.
As to Adam being targeted by the media, well, who gives a rats ass?

I for one, reckon that whole team coming to LA for a mini preseason at Rams training base is a big boon to the group especially, to Adam. The team will learn & experience a lot. The positive effects of that trip will be witnessed by everyone next season.

2024 is the year of Broncos. Period!

Yeah I think the LA trip is going to be good for the team it's going to bring an tight group even tighter together.
Also a big thing for me is Staggs and Cobbo being picked in the Aust side, especially Staggs. After being dropped from the NSW side his form/confidence went with it. This will do his confidence the world of good for next year.

So the difference may have been the team with the better wrestle won the field position game
100%. This is Penriths super power. The referees interpretation is the attacking player gets advantage if they win the ruck but Penrith hold down regardless. It's a piss take and they have trained the refs and everyone in media that this is just their style. Same as Melb did for years.
Gee is getting rave reviews for the GF based on low penalty count and 6 agains but for all the holding down in that first half the only side that got a 6 again was Penrtith when they needed it.

Yep, my depression is turning to anger because they have won 3 Premierships on the back of being allowed to cheat in the ruck.

100%. This is Penriths super power. The referees interpretation is the attacking player gets advantage if they win the ruck but Penrith hold down regardless. It's a piss take and they have trained the refs and everyone in media that this is just their style. Same as Melb did for years.
Gee is getting rave reviews for the GF based on low penalty count and 6 agains but for all the holding down in that first half the only side that got a 6 again was Penrtith when they needed it.

Yep, my depression is turning to anger because they have won 3 Premierships on the back of being allowed to cheat in the ruck.

Yeah but we also should have recognized that Gee had put the whistle away and returned serve by doing the same. Even if it was just a leg pull to stop them getting a quick PTB.

We weren't willing to get dirty and we paid a price for it.

Forget all the other stats - if we make It to the GF next year and concede 11 errors to 1 with bugger all possession in the first half we’ll lose again. That stat is overwhelming and it’s a credit to the Bronc’s defence we miraculously held them to 8-6 at half time. Poor game management and being gassed from the first half effort lost us what should have been an unlosable game mid way through the second half.

Lessons from this game will serve our young team well in the future. If we’d have snuck home with a win despite our poor discipline we would have learnt nothing and would probably pay the price in another big game sometime in the future. Harsh lesson to lose such a close GF but it will set us up for future success unless of course we struggle to replace our aging but very good halfback which will reduce our premiership window.

All things considered it’s been a fabulous year for our team but we can and will get better. Penrith were clearly the best team this year but we’re coming to get ‘em in 2024.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • johnny plath
  • RolledOates
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Dee
  • Foordy
  • mitch222
  • MrMoore
  • BroncoFan94
  • kman
  • Wolfie
  • Gympie devil
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.