2023 State of Origin Discussion

If Ponga and Oates are out as expected / likely, I wouldn't be surprised to see this side named (and this is not necessarily what I would go with either):

1. Hammer
2. Coates
3. Holmes
4. Gagai (Cobbo is next in line I think)
5. Cobbo
6. Munster
7. DCE (c)
8. Tino
9. Grant
10. Welch
11. Capewell
12. Kaufusi
13. Carrigan

14. Hunt
15. Cotter
16. Collins
17. Nanai

Then you've still got all these guys outside who could comfortably take one of those spots: Walsh (if he can somehow maintain last round's insane level, he will be the fullback but that is a big ask), Tuilagi, Mam, Dearden, Papalii, Fifita, Gilbert (I reckon he will get in there somewhere), Arrow, Flegler, Jensen, Brimson, Mo.

In fact, the second team looks pretty decent as well aside from centres:

1. Walsh
2. Tuilagi
3. Sami
4. Tass?
5. Fifita
6. Mam
7. Dearden
8. Papalii
9. Mahoney
10. Flegler
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Gilbert

14. Brimson
15. Arrow
16. Mo
17. Hess

If Ponga and Oates are out as expected / likely, I wouldn't be surprised to see this side named (and this is not necessarily what I would go with either):

1. Hammer
2. Coates
3. Holmes
4. Gagai (Cobbo is next in line I think)
5. Cobbo
6. Munster
7. DCE (c)
8. Tino
9. Grant
10. Welch
11. Capewell
12. Kaufusi
13. Carrigan

14. Hunt
15. Cotter
16. Collins
17. Nanai

Then you've still got all these guys outside who could comfortably take one of those spots: Walsh (if he can somehow maintain last round's insane level, he will be the fullback but that is a big ask), Tuilagi, Mam, Dearden, Papalii, Fifita, Gilbert (I reckon he will get in there somewhere), Arrow, Flegler, Jensen, Brimson, Mo.

In fact, the second team looks pretty decent as well aside from centres:

1. Walsh
2. Tuilagi
3. Sami
4. Tass?
5. Fifita
6. Mam
7. Dearden
8. Papalii
9. Mahoney
10. Flegler
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Gilbert

14. Brimson
15. Arrow
16. Mo
17. Hess
Not sure why you'd pick Hammer over Walsh.

He wasn't even making the Cowboys side last year......and had to change clubs to get another shot at playing fullback.
The ceiling is much higher with Walsh ...IMO.

One of the reasons we lost is because we were stuck in our own half and not making those metres. Oates changed the way we played massively.
Oates played well, but I can't agree he had that much of an influence. It was the kicking game and the performance of Ponga that played a 'massive' influence on the night. Even Nanai changed the way Queensland kicked in attacking situations and they played to him a ton on the night (Queensland may have set a record for the most amount of no tries).

Walsh is definitely ahead of Hammer for now, Kaufusi is definitely ahead of Nanai, but something just tells me Billy is going to pick Nanai no matter what, he has been in favour of youth in many situations where he could of picked a better player who is older.

I think Capewells Versatility helps him keep his position, he might get dropped to bench but he will be in the 17, I think he has shown multiple times now he is the best Makeshift centre in the game and really performs in big games as one.

Not sure why you'd pick Hammer over Walsh.

He wasn't even making the Cowboys side last year......and had to change clubs to get another shot at playing fullback.
The ceiling is much higher with Walsh ...IMO.

Like I said, these aren't the teams I would pick, I just think they will go with Hammer for the Dolphins' feel good story etc.

Oates played well, but I can't agree he had that much of an influence. It was the kicking game and the performance of Ponga that played a 'massive' influence on the night. Even Nanai changed the way Queensland kicked in attacking situations and they played to him a ton on the night (Queensland may have set a record for the most amount of no tries).
We struggled for those metres in the game we lost and being able to worry about that less when Oates was selected meant the rest of the game could be played easier. It's not necessarily that he changed the entire game with one play, but he made the game easier for those who were kicking because they weren't having to do so from our own half all night.

We struggled for those metres in the game we lost and being able to worry about that less when Oates was selected meant the rest of the game could be played easier. It's not necessarily that he changed the entire game with one play, but he made the game easier for those who were kicking because they weren't having to do so from our own half all night.
One of the biggest talking points out of the game was Queensland's kicking game inside their own half. DCE & Hunt nailed their assignments and Hunt's 40/20 was a pivotal moment in the game.

Oates did his part, but it's dishonest to frame it that he was the difference.

Like I said, these aren't the teams I would pick, I just think they will go with Hammer for the Dolphins' feel good story etc.

correct me if I'm wrong but Hammer has played in the centres for QLD. a position we are weak in.

Cam Smith also said that Slater is a big fan of Walsh, and thinks he's an excellent shot at being the QLD fullback.

so we could go with:

1. Walsh
3. Hammer

correct me if I'm wrong but Hammer has played in the centres for QLD. a position we are weak in.

Cam Smith also said that Slater is a big fan of Walsh, and thinks he's an excellent shot at being the QLD fullback.

so we could go with:

1. Walsh
3. Hammer

For sure but I don't see Qld not picking Holmes or Gagai in the centres.

For sure but I don't see Qld not picking Holmes or Gagai in the centres.
I think Gagai's time is about done unfortunately, he looked off the pace last year and he's obviously another year older... I'd like to be wrong, he's been an amazing servant for Qld, but if he's not performing I hope Billy taps him on the shoulder if someone else is banging down the door. We can't be complacent - we snatched it from them last year and will be backs against the wall this year again I fear.

Gagai could easily slot back on the wing with Hammer in the centres.

I think Hopgood will make the team this year on the bench in some capacity, watching Parra games this year he has honestly had the team on his back, his ball playing has been the best I've seen this season from a 13 soo far.

1 Kalyn Ponga/Reece Walsh (Depending on injuries)
2 Corey Oates/Xavier Coates (Depending on injuries)
3 Dane Gagai
4 Valentine Holmes
5 Selwyn Cobbo
6 Cameron Munster
7 Daly Cherry Evans
8 Christian Welch
9 Ben Hunt
10 Patrick Carrigan
11 Kurt Capewell
12 Felise Kaufusi
13 Tino Fa’asuamaleaui

14 Harry Grant
15 Reuben Cotter
16 J’Maine Hopgood
17 David Fifita/Jeremiah Nanai (Depending on whether he steps up)

18 Reece Walsh/Tom Dearden
19 Thomas Flegler

@Cult looks good, and to show that QLD have maybe more forward depth than they ever have, that side is without Papalii, Collins and Arrow. I think Collins and Arrow will make it but the spine and forwards are looking great.

Marking Latrell and Turbo in the centres is gonna be the issue.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Jazza
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • bazza
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • Nerd
  • Broncosgirl
  • Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.