2023 State of Origin Discussion

I think Walsh needs to keep the form though, Hammer at this stage would be right on his heels, what favours Walsh, is by picking him Hammer can also be on the side as a Winger, Walsh would be a FB or nothing, Unless Billy wants to go experimental and use him as a 14 like Ponga was used years ago for some later game impact.
Unless Hunt/Grant are injured they are our 9/14.

Walsh should be 1 if Ponga isn't fit. But if Ponga is fit, he is our #1. Didn't he win MOTM in game 3 last year?

Unless Hunt/Grant are injured they are our 9/14.

Walsh should be 1 if Ponga isn't fit. But if Ponga is fit, he is our #1. Didn't he win MOTM in game 3 last year?
Unless Ponga actually plays before Origin and decent at it, it just looks like when Kevvie put Boyd over Slater, Walsh is one of the most inform players in the competition currently, but there is still time to work out what to do on this.

Agreed that Ponga walks in and really, I don't think there are that many spots up for debate. The make up of the bench and starting 13, that's about it really. You could argue the wingers but you'd fail, they will be Cobbo and Coates if they are fit by the time it rolls around.

Billy wont pick Ponga if he hasn't had a few games under his belt. He isn't dumb

He was silly for sticking with Taulagi for Game III though, fortunately COVID did the Maroons a solid there.

Otherwise I can't blame Billy. Taulagi was playing great footy and while you could certainly make a case for Oatesy, he'd had his chance, been dropped twice and it'd barely been a year since he'd been dropped to QCup for @meady. That takes a lot to come back from, so in a fairly even contest the idea of the more mobile younger option with the pre-existing club combo gave him the edge.

As talented as Walsh is I think he currently has far too many flaws that will be exposed in origin
He is far too good to not be the fullback, I think it's insanity that it's still a debate, he is the best fullback in the competition atm, Ponga has never been at that level ever and one good origin game in a position he no longer plays doesn't change it.

The soo called flaws Walsh has, is others jumping at Shadows not living in reality.

I hope the QLD selectors lose the plot and go Ponga over Walsh so the Broncos can jag a few more wins over the origin period.

He is far too good to not be the fullback, I think it's insanity that it's still a debate, he is the best fullback in the competition atm, Ponga has never been at that level ever and one good origin game in a position he no longer plays doesn't change it.

The soo called flaws Walsh has, is others jumping at Shadows not living in reality.

Have you watched Ponga at origin? He's been elite. His game last year in the decider was epic, an all time great origin performance in an absolute cracking level of a game.

Have you watched Ponga at origin? He's been elite. His game last year in the decider was epic, an all time great origin performance in an absolute cracking level of a game.
It's delaying the inevitable not having Walsh in the team, but to be fair we should see Ponga play a bit before Origin starts to get more of a picture, I just think looking at Newcastle, Miller has been a better fullback than Ponga has for them and they have improved alot since he has been out, compare that to Walsh when he came to our team and he has transformed our attack to an elite level.

If Queensland picked players on club form alone Gagai or somebody like Nate Myles would never have got a shirt. Its just not how Queensland works. Ponga if fit will be fullback.

If Queensland picked players on club form alone Gagai or somebody like Nate Myles would never have got a shirt. Its just not how Queensland works. Ponga if fit will be fullback.
I think it's a different ask when it comes to spine players, you need them sharp because effort alone isn't enough.

I think it's a different ask when it comes to spine players, you need them sharp because effort alone isn't enough.

I honestly dont think it is. Queensland dont really go away from using players they trust, do the job and what has worked previously. If Ponga gets a few games under his belt before Origin he's a given unless he's absolutely atrocious for Newcastle. Origin is just a different beast when it comes to Rugby League. Plenty of quality players who have killed it for their club sides havent made the jump to Origin. As much as its become a bit of a cliche, Queenslanders just get Origin and thats why we do so well.

At the moment all Reece needs to do is just concentrate and play his own game for us. If he gets the chance, he needs to step up just like Dearden did.

Cliches are a damn lazy argument, but there is still some time to see what Ponga is playing like before Origin.

Cliches are a damn lazy argument, but there is still some time to see what Ponga is playing like before Origin.
Not sure its a lazy argument when its true. Queensland are a cliche tbf. We are just more passionate about Origin footy. Its why bang average players just perform and find ways to win in Origin. Thats what gets up the nose of those blue grubs. The fact we win unwinnable games and series with inferior sides burns that lot to the core.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Tim K
  • Rambstien
  • Old Mate
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dazza 92
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncos4life
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Fitzy
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.