2023 State of Origin Discussion

Not sure its a lazy argument when its true. Queensland are a cliche tbf. We are just more passionate about Origin footy. Its why bang average players just perform and find ways to win in Origin. Thats what gets up the nose of those blue grubs. The fact we win unwinnable games and series with inferior sides burns that lot to the core.
There is more passion but I think it's lazy to take away from players efforts because of the jersey, at the end of the day they are the reason why.

There is more passion but I think it's lazy to take away from players efforts because of the jersey, at the end of the day they are the reason why.
Explain Nate Myles then, Or Adam Mogg, or Jacob Lillyman. Sometimes the best players in the NRL arent Origin players and they arent even good NRL performers. I'm sure there will be a point Walsh will get a shot, Hopefully it could even be this year, up to him then to show he has the attitude and mentality to handle Origin. We know he has the skillset, but thats not enough to perform at that level.

Explain Nate Myles then, Or Adam Mogg, or Jacob Lillyman. Sometimes the best players in the NRL arent Origin players and they arent even good NRL performers. I'm sure there will be a point Walsh will get a shot, Hopefully it could even be this year, up to him then to show he has the attitude and mentality to handle Origin. We know he has the skillset, but thats not enough to perform at that level.
At the end of the day those players did what they did, not because putting a qld jersey on a plodder will make them play good but because they still had to play good, passion matters but all of the reasons for that passion is built on the back of other players building that reputation for them to live up to.

Everything I see from Walsh says Origin player, Unlimited stamina and involved in everything, he has a great skillset but it's not just natural talent making him a good player.

Brenko and Edrick Lee.

At the end of the day those players did what they did, not because putting a qld jersey on a plodder will make them play good but because they still had to play good, passion matters but all of the reasons for that passion is built on the back of other players building that reputation for them to live up to.

Everything I see from Walsh says Origin player, Unlimited stamina and involved in everything, he has a great skillset but it's not just natural talent making him a good player.

I just think picking him right now goes against everything that makes Queensland, well, Queensland. Why would we change whats been working for literally decades for us to accommodate Walsh unless necessity demands it? And i'd actually argue putting on that Queensland Jersey does lift players and make them play good, like Gagai for example. He's never, ever performed at club level anywhere close to his Queensland performances. Same with Myles and many others. Origin has never been about footballing ability. Look at the 1995 team as well for example.

I'm not even saying Walsh isnt going to be a good Origin player i think he will. Not quite convinced about his defence yet, but that will come. What I'm saying is Queensland arent going to throw out a player like Ponga if he is fit because he has proved himself on the big stage in Origin and hasnt let Billy down. When you dont let your team mates and coach down, you earn loyalty from them. Thats what Queensland is built on.

I just think picking him right now goes against everything that makes Queensland, well, Queensland. Why would we change whats been working for literally decades for us to accommodate Walsh unless necessity demands it? And i'd actually argue putting on that Queensland Jersey does lift players and make them play good, like Gagai for example. He's never, ever performed at club level anywhere close to his Queensland performances. Same with Myles and many others. Origin has never been about footballing ability. Look at the 1995 team as well for example.

I'm not even saying Walsh isnt going to be a good Origin player i think he will. Not quite convinced about his defence yet, but that will come. What I'm saying is Queensland arent going to throw out a player like Ponga if he is fit because he has proved himself on the big stage in Origin and hasnt let Billy down. When you dont let your team mates and coach down, you earn loyalty from them. Thats what Queensland is built on.
No it doesn't, there is always a limit if a player is too good they should be in, Walsh is doing that if you take away the ability for a player to earn their way in what is the point?

No it doesn't, there is always a limit if a player is too good they should be in, Walsh is doing that if you take away the ability for a player to earn their way in what is the point?

Kind of the same s what you are suggesting for Ponga. He was great all series and in that epic last game which was seriously high quality, he was comfortably best on ground. He’s earned first shot and rightly so. It isn’t going to do Walsh any harm to bide his time, in fact it might make him hungrier.

Ponga is currently a better and more rounded fullback than Walsh.

And he should be, he’s 5 years older than Walsh. I think Walsh has a better chance of playing 14 than 1 for a debut.

What you are saying simply isn't the Queensland way of doing things. The second we go away from that Queensland mentality we might as well put on a grubby blue shirt.

The forwards look stacked. Gonna be tough to narrow this down to 8:

Midde: Welch, Papalii, Carrigan, Tino, Cotter, Collins, Arrow*, Hopgood
Edge: Capewell, Nanai, Fifita, Gilbert*, Kaufusi
* = can play both roles

In the middle I'd play Welch and leave out papalii, good as he has been. Just can't pick him anymore over the younger guys who have also played well for QLD. In the backrow I really don't know, they all have a case.

I’d go:
8. Welch
10. Tino
11. Capewell
12. Nanai
13. Carrigan

15. Cotter
16. Collins
17. Gilbert

Id pick Kaufisi or Fitita over Nanai

Nanai just doesn't do enough of the hard yards and is really only seen in the attacking 20 jumping for kicks.

Its the QLD way to stick and pick......and Ponga in the QLD side has done no wrong.

Its his jersey to lose. Walsh will have to wait......preferably, not on the bench IMO.

With Ponga's glass head......Reece might not have to wait too long.

QLD normally do pick and stick but Ponga is a completely different scenario. As is PapalI this year. They might not be the players they were last year.

In saying that, Walsh will be in the squad so he will miss out on the Broncos game but won’t see the field for QLD.

I thinks its time we (QLD & Josh) give SOO a miss. Papali held his own last year, just.....

Its time to move on.

**** it, time to name a lineup of what I wanna see, no matter how unlikely of it actually happening.

Ponga (Walsh if there is another KO)
Oates
Gagai
Holmes
Coates
Munster
DCE
Carrigan
Hunt
Tino
Fifita
Kaufusi
Cotter

Grant
Flegler
Collins
Arrow

Squad members
Horsbourgh, Papalii, Fotuaika, Collins, Walsh, Hammer, Welch.

Few missing out like Cobbo and Welch, but I just don't think they deserve to be there. Nanai and Capewell are gone due to being defensive liabilities who Latrell and Trbo will absolutely expose.
Gone with Arrow as my last benchy as he can also cover an edge, and I don't want 3 middles on the pine.

QLD normally do pick and stick but Ponga is a completely different scenario. As is PapalI this year. They might not be the players they were last year.

In saying that, Walsh will be in the squad so he will miss out on the Broncos game but won’t see the field for QLD.
I think Walsh only misses the game if he's named 18th man. Dearden was 18th man last series, so would seem odd if it's not him again.

I still don't understand why the 18th man has to miss out though. They'll claim it's a player welfare thing, but there will be players playing on Friday night 2 days after origin... so what welfare is there for that?

If it's to do with 3 games in 7 days, then allow the 18th man to play the weekend before and if they get called into origin then they sit out the weekend after.

It just seems unfair to have a player missing because of origin duty ... only for that origin duty to most likely be just sitting on the bench.

**** it, time to name a lineup of what I wanna see, no matter how unlikely of it actually happening.

Ponga (Walsh if there is another KO)
Oates
Gagai
Holmes
Coates
Munster
DCE
Carrigan
Hunt
Tino
Fifita
Kaufusi
Cotter

Grant
Flegler
Collins
Arrow

Squad members
Horsbourgh, Papalii, Fotuaika, Collins, Walsh, Hammer, Welch.

Few missing out like Cobbo and Welch, but I just don't think they deserve to be there. Nanai and Capewell are gone due to being defensive liabilities who Latrell and Trbo will absolutely expose.
Gone with Arrow as my last benchy as he can also cover an edge, and I don't want 3 middles on the pine.

You'd have Coates over Hammer or Cobbo? I think Gilbert has also probably earnt a spot, he's been immense for the Phins this year.

I fear Gagai is going to be a liability this year as well particularly up against Latrell and Turbo but I don't know who else you put there really.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Midean
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • broncotville
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • broncos4life
  • LittleDavey
  • Jedhead
  • Broncorob
  • Wendall Taylor
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.