2023 State of Origin Discussion

I don't think it has anything to do with his ability in the position. I'm pretty confident it has to do with Ponga's welfare, full stop. He copped a nothing shot to the chin on Sunday, stayed down and had to go off for a HIA. Correct decision for mine.

I think without that head knock and that brain fart he had he would have been in. They couldnt pick him after that.

Tim Burton Halloween GIF by Freeform
Tim Burton Wtf GIF by O&O, Inc

I think without that head knock and that brain fart he had he would have been in. They couldnt pick him after that.
Yep... it looked a Cat 1 on the weekend and it was basically the same as the one in the Tigers game.

O'Brien has effectively caused it by putting Ponga into the front line, but it's also exposed how susceptible he is to head knocks.

He basically had his name stamped down as the Qld fullback spot for as long as he wants after last year's series, but AOB decided to follow the Johns' advice and try him out at 6...

Yep... it looked a Cat 1 on the weekend and it was basically the same as the one in the Tigers game.

O'Brien has effectively caused it by putting Ponga into the front line, but it's also exposed how susceptible he is to head knocks.

He basically had his name stamped down as the Qld fullback spot for as long as he wants after last year's series, but AOB decided to follow the Johns' advice and try him out at 6...
Don’t tell me johns didn’t have that in the back of his head.

no one has agreed with him playing there.

Really going to be interesting to see what they do next year because they have spent good money on Will Pryce for fullback. Thought it was a bad move for Pryce as it was going there but if they are dropping Ponga back they are going to throw Pryce into 6 and i dont think he's ready for that position yet.

Don’t tell me johns didn’t have that in the back of his head.

no one has agreed with him playing there.
They've been calling for it and trialing it since the Nathan Brown days and it has never worked out.

Then AOB comes in and fully commits by buying fullbacks everywhere... even though his plan out of it all is to just park Ponga on the left hand side of the field.

What makes Ponga dangerous is his ability to pop up and be effective on either side... which for some reason is only allowed by fullbacks in the current form of Rugba Leeeeeg.

If AOB doesn't have a plan to allow his 6 to play both sides of the field... then he should've left his best attacking player at 1 where he can do just that

They've been calling for it and trialing it since the Nathan Brown days and it has never worked out.

Then AOB comes in and fully commits by buying fullbacks everywhere... even though his plan out of it all is to just park Ponga on the left hand side of the field.

What makes Ponga dangerous is his ability to pop up and be effective on either side... which for some reason is only allowed by fullbacks in the current form of Rugba Leeeeeg.

If AOB doesn't have a plan to allow his 6 to play both sides of the field... then he should've left his best attacking player at 1 where he can do just that
It’s madness.

great comment by the way.

The point is that Dearden needs to be ready to go and he's training as Cleary this week- He was the opposition half yesterday at training.

If he plays tonight- misses training today and tomorrow or picks up an injury what then?

Everyone changes to- why would you risk your 18th man for a Cowboys game stupid Slater.
Nobody would care because it’s highly unlikely he’s ever going to play!

SMH reporting that Freddy was torn on who the NSW 6 should be ... so he asked Nathan Cleary

Robert Craddock reporting that several NSW clubs are attempting to shorten the traditional 10 day State of Origin camps. the QRK are strongly opposed to this.

these clubs have said that the camps are too long for the best interests of the clubs, who have found that their plays lose condition during their time away from their home bases.

QRL Chairman, Bruce Hatcher, said:

“My advice to the clubs would be if you had a problem with it don’t sign any players you think might be playing State of Origin and see how you go,”

“The camps are massive. They are really something special, chock full of coaching and media commitments. Billy Slater always says it is not his team, it’s Queensland’s team.

“I understand that NSW also feel as if a 10-day camp is appropriate. The explanation we have been given is that the NRL clubs don’t like it. But I understand there is only one NRL club who have an issue with it.

“We have all felt that the camp is time well spent and, for the sake of an inconvenience to a small number of clubs, it is time well spent.”

The NRL have reportedly told NSW to change their navy blue jersey back to the traditional sky blue over fears the navy will clash with QLD's dark maroon jersey.

NSW official are "scrambling" to make the change ... which is difficult at such short notice because the jersey's are individually made for the specific players.

only god knows why the NRL waited until the weekend before Origin starts to tell NSW this instead of informing them months ago ... or at the latest when the jersey were modelled 5-6 days ago

The NRL have reportedly told NSW to change their navy blue jersey back to the traditional sky blue over fears the navy will clash with QLD's dark maroon jersey.

NSW official are "scrambling" to make the change ... which is difficult at such short notice because the jersey's are individually made for the specific players.

only god knows why the NRL waited until the weekend before Origin starts to tell NSW this instead of informing them months ago ... or at the latest when the jersey were modelled 5-6 days ago
The professionalism - it's just so................non-existent.

Well Crichton was awful last year, maybe he’ll keep the trend flogging. That said he has levelled up since then.

Latrell Mitchell out of Origin 1 with a calf injury

He was the one big worrry I had in their backline as he can do anything with nothing from nowhere so I'd say he is a genuine 'huge' loss to the cockys.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.