2024 Grand Final

Who you got?

• Panthers

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Storm

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters
Its embarrassing. The AFL get a legit A lister in Katie Perry, the NRL get whatever one hit wonder they can find.
It's not embarrassing at all. What it is, is a matter of opinion. Yours is that an A-lister is a good get. It is not everyone's opinion though.

I totally admit, my initial reaction was the same as yours. AFL gets a star, NRL gets a nobody. But then I heard another opinion, pointing out how wonderful it was that the NRL entertainment is coming from an Australian, and more than that, a Sydney-sider who grew up loving the game and is a Rabbits fan(I think it was Rabbits). This compared to the AFL who parachute in a foreigner who doesn't give two sh!ts about the game she is singing at.

I'm not saying 1 is right and 1 is wrong, they are after all, opinions. But it pointed out to me that the NRL were not wrong with their choice, it's just a different approach, and 1 that resonated with some people.

In my view though, nothing could be less relevant or important anyway; I'm there to watch the footy, I could not care less who is singing a few songs before it. We'd all be better off without it entirely.

It's not embarrassing at all. What it is, is a matter of opinion. Yours is that an A-lister is a good get. It is not everyone's opinion though.

I totally admit, my initial reaction was the same as yours. AFL gets a star, NRL gets a nobody. But then I heard another opinion, pointing out how wonderful it was that the NRL entertainment is coming from an Australian, and more than that, a Sydney-sider who grew up loving the game and is a Rabbits fan(I think it was Rabbits). This compared to the AFL who parachute in a foreigner who doesn't give two sh!ts about the game she is singing at.

I'm not saying 1 is right and 1 is wrong, they are after all, opinions. But it pointed out to me that the NRL were not wrong with their choice, it's just a different approach, and 1 that resonated with some people.

In my view though, nothing could be less relevant or important anyway; I'm there to watch the footy, I could not care less who is singing a few songs before it. We'd all be better off without it entirely.
The thing is The Kid Laroi is nobody to 30yo's. He's quite big with the younger population. The NRL get slammed for getting the same old geriatric acts but they go young and appeal to a younger audience and they're slammed for getting a no one (read: someone born this millennium). They're getting fucked by the same thing twice.

I think the selection should be more about appealing to wider audiences.

The assumption being that Katy Perry fans around the world are seeing her perform at the AFL grand final on YouTube and it might snag someone in.

Kid Leroy is big in the US so there's that tie-in as well... except he actually has background with the sport and fans usually like to deep dive into their favourites so there's a chance for connection there as well.

Thinking along those lines they should be targeting acts for the demographic they're after... for NRL it's basically trying to target US NFL fans, I doubt Kid Leroy or Katy Perry appeal much to them so maybe they should go after a big Country Singer 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Unread

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Battler
  • YeahNahMate
  • Ondi
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Behind enemy lines
  • levikaden
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Howie
  • broncsgoat
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • ettybay
  • Xzei
  • mitch222
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.