2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
but a new ruled in introduced in 2024 — meaning short drop-outs and kick-offs are no longer penalised if they don’t go the required 10-metre distance or go out on the full

So what happens instead...? A scrum?

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
This is expected, but still absolutely hillarious.

Rankings for short drop out success rates.

View attachment 28326

Full article;
It's the idiots Reyno's kicking to.

I'd also be interested in how many short kick offs we win in defence. I'd guess 0 also. The Panthers showed their hand against newcastle yesterday, every time newcastle did a short kick off the tallest Panther batted it back towards the 50m line with all his strength. They got the ball every time.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

I'd also be interested in how many short kick offs we win in defence. I'd guess 0 also. The Panthers showed their hand against newcastle yesterday, every time newcastle did a short kick off the tallest Panther batted it back towards the 50m line with all his strength. They got the ball every time.
If we don’t adopt this style of play to short drop outs I could indeed burn something down!

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

The defensive counter to this ?
Send smaller skillful players after the ball like rovers in AFL . It`s not rocket surgery .

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
JD and Cheika are reportedly out of the running for the Eels job. They've been omitted from future interviews.

Barrett down to 3rd

Race appears to be down to Hannay and Ryles. Although at this stage the board are split

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Yep. Who ever has the biggest boot which I think is Walsh can just send it.
yeah that's what i think. I get the idea behind a short dropout, even if you don't get possession you've mostly got a set line, but punching it 50 back means their attack has to work a bit harder to get it within the danger zone. sap the energy instead of giving them a full set 10 out with a full set of lungs.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
yeah that's what i think. I get the idea behind a short dropout, even if you don't get possession you've mostly got a set line, but punching it 50 back means their attack has to work a bit harder to get it within the danger zone. sap the energy instead of giving them a full set 10 out with a full set of lungs.
I think mixing it up is an option as well

If they commit too hard to short drop outs it will mean less players back for the long one... might be able to find a prop on the full or having to defuse it.

If they ease up on the short one there's less players there to defuse

We also have Walsh and Reyno, so we should be flipping either side as well.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Is it correct that there have been 3 send off's this season and all three are Roosters committing the offenses?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Is it correct that there have been 3 send off's this season and all three are Roosters committing the offenses?
Yep

Young vs Dogs Rd 5
Pauga vs Dogs (yesterday)
Suaalii vs Qld

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Old mate Mam must be a proper laugh around the lads. He just gets the giggles every time.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • something
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.