2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

I think Brohmans most annoyed that this is the kind of player you celebrate and put in the hall of fame. A bloke best remembered for being a an absolute grub on the field. Your hall of fame shouldn't just be on playing ability, it should be on how you played the game with sportsmanship and what kind of character you were on the field.
And I agree with him. I mean to call Boyd a grub doesn’t do it justice. He played in an era of grubs and he stands so far out from all of them in his grubbiness. It’s a joke that he was even considered for the hall of fame but not surprising as it is the NRL.

I think Brohmans most annoyed that this is the kind of player you celebrate and put in the hall of fame. A bloke best remembered for being a an absolute grub on the field. Your hall of fame shouldn't just be on playing ability, it should be on how you played the game with sportsmanship and what kind of character you were on the field.
Then take a deep fucking breath and calm your nerves Alex McKinnon. Cam Smith will be in soon.

Forgive my naivety but I’m trying to find out how the proposed PNG team will be funded after shit c*** albanese gifts them 600 mil?
Sure, they will sell out the home games but how do the locals even afford to attend and add on the cost of security for a start.
I’d say us tax payers are funding the whole scam and only be the grubs in govt and ol mate Pete gaining anything. Just another bullshit cash grab by vlandys

The NRL head honchos will have already decided which year they are the 'fairytale' team and #gamemanage their season.

The NRL head honchos will have already decided which year they are the 'fairytale' team and #gamemanage their season.
**** it will be a fair bloody effort to game manage them through to a fairytale GF... who the hell will play for them??

Maybe they can game manage them out of a spoon in their first year.

lol @ Knight

for some unknown reason the Knights agreed to a clause in O'Brien's contract that automatically grants him an extension for the 2027 season if he finishes this season inside the top 12.

the Knights don't even require him to make the top 8 to grant the extension. all this clause does is increase the payout figure if the grow some balls and sack him.

FTR. Knights are currently in 11th, so the clause is very much in play

Well it looks like there will be some form of international football in October and November this year.

Is there a reason why the international fixtures calendar has been released so late in the year?? and why is it NZRL announcing this, but nothing from ARL as yet??

Can basically write off Patty from returning to preseason until January... Hopefully Haas pulls out of internationals this year given his injury issues throughout all of 2024.

Who else will be in contention from Broncos given how important this upcoming off season will be?

Well it looks like there will be some form of international football in October and November this year.

Is there a reason why the international fixtures calendar has been released so late in the year?? and why is it NZRL announcing this, but nothing from ARL as yet??

Can basically write off Patty from returning to preseason until January... Hopefully Haas pulls out of internationals this year given his injury issues throughout all of 2024.

Who else will be in contention from Broncos given how important this upcoming off season will be?

Depends on if any players are playing with injuries. Most clubs will just send them in for surgeries when the season finishes immediately so they can being their recovery really quick.

Panther's probably dropping a few games .. so they can go for the first team since 1995 to win it from outside the top 4. HUGE and NEVERENDING celebrations for them if they can jag it. 🙄 🤢🤮

The media. ****. It'd be shoved down our throats .. like .. forever.

Prediction - Broncos to go on a white hot run .. and are the ones who flog them, and destroy all their joy, hopes and dreams come true shit. 😍 lol.

I Like Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live

Bookies have been tipped off or fully expecting storm to rest next week not the week after....

Bookies have been tipped off or fully expecting storm to rest next week not the week after....

View attachment 29292
They are on a 5 day turnaround flying up to Townsville playing against us after a bye. That is some wild scheduling. He took a shot at it in the presser and basically said it is probably going to be a bad look for the game because he is going to rest alot of guys but he has to do what he has to do.. Hughes and Grant for starters.

They still have enough talent. I fully expect us to **** around and make it closer than it should be. Never take understrength teams seriously enough.

Then take a deep fucking breath and calm your nerves Alex McKinnon. Cam Smith will be in soon.

In what world are you operating in to compare Cam Smith to Les Boyd?

Get a grip FFS.......

And Smith was a grub anyway. At least a quarter of his tackles was some kind of armbar or headlock. However good they were, I hated watching them play.

The NRL are reportedly considering reviving the NYC.

This would be a national under-21s comp

the has commissioned a committee consisting of Ben Ikin, Trent Robinson, Storm football boss Frank Ponissi and Penrith chief executive Matt Cameron; to investigate this proposal.

if given the green light, the new NYC would be made up of the existing Jersey Flegg teams + teams from the 4 QLD clubs.

Broncos CEO, Dave Donaghy said:

“My first thought would be we need to look at all of this holistically,”

“Often we bring in a new competition or a new idea without a thorough thought for what the unintended consequences may be.

“It’s great that the committee is approaching it in that manner, but I think it’s really important as a Queensland-based club that there needs to be parity with our competitors.

“The previous NYC was too expensive to run and for me it was too long, so it was a lot to ask young men to be copying the exact program of the NRL.

“There were also a range of welfare issues, so if we’re serious about bringing it back, let’s give it thought based on the challenges that we’ve experienced in the past.”

Rabbitohs CEO, Blake Solly said:

“We don’t have a great deal of information on the proposal, and whether it is a replacement for the current NSWRL Jersey Flegg competition,” Solly said.

“But if the proposal (for a return to NYC) is funded properly, reduces the rampant inflation in pathways costs, and makes the whole system far more efficient and responsible, we’re supportive.”

QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher, said:

“Ben Ikin is part of a committee that includes people from some of the really strong NRL clubs,” Hatcher said.

“It’s really about looking at areas where we can develop the game better.

“A national under-21s competition creates an ideal pathway and it virtually gets the clubs operating hand-in-glove with their junior structures.”

How did they result at those four being the ones investigating it? There an eclectic mix of people and roles.

I'm pretty sure the clubs wanted the NYC comp scrapped because it cost too much money.

For mine, bringing the NYC back is a bad idea. It just destroyed careers too often. Players were hyped up in the NYC and when they didn't hit the ground running because NYC was a terrible comp for development, they were turned on. It literally led to players killing themselves.

As I said before, it was a terrible comp for development. It shouldn't be brought back.

Active Now

• scobie
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.