2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

Lockyer will be the next immortal IMO.
Haven't watched 360 for a couple of months .. caught the second half of tonight's episode tho .. Locky's name was thrown in at the end of the convo, almost as an afterthought. I found it to be really insulting towards him tbh.

Media driven .. Locky doesn't stand a chance? 😢

Haven't watched 360 for a couple of months .. caught the second half of tonight's episode tho .. Locky's name was thrown in at the end of the convo, almost as an afterthought. I found it to be really insulting towards him tbh.

Media driven .. Locky doesn't stand a chance? 😢

Everything on 360 is insulting these days tbf. I just can't watch it anymore...which tells you how much weight I give to their opinions.

I guess it all depends on which way they go with it, do they pluck another name from the past like an Alf or do they go for a more recent name? If they go more recent, I think they go Lockyer. It wouldn't surprise me if they induct Lockyer and Smith at the same time though.

Yeah this. Calls that Slater revolutionised the fullback role are bullshit. Slater was very good, but he just did what fullbacks had been doing for years, mastering it. But Lockyer is the one that changed fullback play forever. He was thrust in to the role as a matter of circumstance, with Langer and Walters owning the halves spots, but Locker utilising his ball-playing at the back is what changed how fullbacks have now played for the last 20 years.
Correct.
Pity he’s a part of the shithouse front office though

Everything on 360 is insulting these days tbf. I just can't watch it anymore...which tells you how much weight I give to their opinions.

I guess it all depends on which way they go with it, do they pluck another name from the past like an Alf or do they go for a more recent name? If they go more recent, I think they go Lockyer. It wouldn't surprise me if they induct Lockyer and Smith at the same time though.
The way the media bang on I think they’ll go for Cleary and Dylan brown🥸

Just like we were bent over with the introduction of the 6 again.
I may be wrong but I thought we were the Guinea pig against manly for the rule that’s killed the game
Close it was against Parra, but I'm pretty sure we were first game back

Yeah this. Calls that Slater revolutionised the fullback role are bullshit. Slater was very good, but he just did what fullbacks had been doing for years, mastering it. But Lockyer is the one that changed fullback play forever. He was thrust in to the role as a matter of circumstance, with Langer and Walters owning the halves spots, but Locker utilising his ball-playing at the back is what changed how fullbacks have now played for the last 20 years.

Well Billy did change the way fullbacks played .
Just like Darren did .

Billy : never let the ball bounce Slater . The way he caught kicks on the run was revolutionary . His ball playing developed to an elite level in the last years of his career .
His speed and anticipation which I think increased also in his twilight years was unmatched over a long period .
Not Darren , just different .

Digging through some old Big Leagues, came across this gem from 1998.

REFS BEING UNFAIRLY BASHED

Former top referee Graham Annesley has responded strongly to the welter of criticism directed at the "coaching" of whistle-blowers by video referees seated in the grand-stand.

Annesley pioneered the "video ref" concept in Super League. He was also a key advocate for the wiring up of match referees to the video ref who could then offer advice from the grandstand during the game.

The latter development has led to critics maintaining some video refs are over-doing the "chatter" and intimidating the man in the middle with an overload of information.

"After years of calls for refereeing to be brought into the 20th century, and for the whistle-blowers to given more assistance, we now have the professional knockers screaming 'leave them alone'," said Annesley who is on the NRL's Match Review Committee and works full-time for the organisation.

"These ill-informed critics might well follow this advice themselves and all those who are qualified and experienced in the field, and are out there each week helping to coach and motivate the referees, to get on with the job.

"The fact is that the two-way communication system linking the referee with his touch judges and coach in the grandstand together with the introduction of the video referee, are the greatest innovations to help referees in the history of the game."

Annersely probably: The laws of physics are less accurate than our interpretations, everyone needs to lay off science.

Imo, Cam Smith and all his storm mates that knowingly signed 2 contracts should be nowhere near these type of personal awards.

They are a blight on the game and that shouldn't be celebrated in this degree.

The cheating allowed them to keep a team together that shouldn't have been able to be kept together, and it benefited them all substantially. Look also at how much negative crap the likes of Smith and the storm brought into the sport.

I just dont feel like that should be rewarded. But what can you do, Smith will be made an immortal at some point if not tonight.

Lol Locky is never becoming an Immortal. In actual fact none of us will live long enough to see a lifetime Bronco join the list.

The moment A. Johns was rushed in proved beyond doubt the whole concept is owned by RL politics, and the NSWRL own that scene in kind. What I would give to see the QRL grow a spine worthy of the name.

Because the NRL is just such a well run organisation, the next immortals will be:

Paul Gallen
Jarryd Hayne
Sam burgess.
The bloke who drove his kids around whilst coked to the eyeballs on more than one occasion

Active Now

• Galah
  • Alec
  • Skyblues87
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.