2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

You get inducted! and You get inducted!........................ We ALL get inducted! đź‘Ź
It does come across that way.

In fairness, the big four and JT were always going to be first round hall of famers. Burgess and Benji were bound to get there eventually as well. However it just comes across haphazardly because the Hall of Fame laid dormant for so long.

They also changed the eligibility rules and removed the five years since retired clause. Smith shouldn't have got in until 2026.

If the Hall of Fame was organised properly - 2023 would have been the year of JT and Slater, 2024 would have been Cronk's year and 2025 would be Smith's year with GI and Benji looking at 2026.
And Burgess doesn't seem to fit the mould.
He was always going to get in after winning the Clive Churchill medal with a broken cheekbone. I don't think he was ever the same player after that but he's remembered as one of the best forwards of his generation so he was always going to be a shoe-in.

It does seem like they squeezed him in for more representation in the forwards and being an international player doesn't hurt.

Too many Queenslanders! Too many spine players! Who's the best forward who played for a Sydney team?

At least they knew Gallen would be too on the nose.

It does come across that way.

In fairness, the big four and JT were always going to be first round hall of famers. Burgess and Benji were bound to get there eventually as well. However it just comes across haphazardly because the Hall of Fame laid dormant for so long.

They also changed the eligibility rules and removed the five years since retired clause. Smith shouldn't have got in until 2026.

If the Hall of Fame was organised properly - 2023 would have been the year of JT and Slater, 2024 would have been Cronk's year and 2025 would be Smith's year with GI and Benji looking at 2026.

He was always going to get in after winning the Clive Churchill medal with a broken cheekbone. I don't think he was ever the same player after that but he's remembered as one of the best forwards of his generation so he was always going to be a shoe-in.

It does seem like they squeezed him in for more representation in the forwards and being an international player doesn't hurt.

Too many Queenslanders! Too many spine players! Who's the best forward who played for a Sydney team?

At least they knew Gallen would be too on the nose.
It's just all over the shop.

Some guys from the 80's... couple from the 90's.... none from the 00's and then a ton from 10's who become eligible by deciding to change the rules.

Are these guys even in their team's Hall of Fame??

Do teams even have their own a hall of fame??

Having the team decide if a player is eligible for their own HOF could be a good way of deciding who is then eligible for the NRL... that's basically every team putting forward their shortlist for who should get considered for the NRL HOF

At least it would narrow the selection criteria down a bit.

Do the NRL even do it annually?

Putting so many in all at once cheapens the whole thing and doesnt allow individuals to be recognised.

The whole administration of the NRL is an absolute mess... everything is dictated by Sydney media... how long has Elias been retired for??

Now all of a sudden chuck him in the HOF because he appears on Foxtel.

I'd say he should be there, but why has he been getting overlooked for like 30yr

Some guys from the 80's... couple from the 90's.... none from the 00's and then a ton from 10's who become eligible by deciding to change the rules.

Having the team decide if a player is eligible for their own HOF could be a good way of deciding who is then eligible for the NRL... that's basically every team putting forward their shortlist for who should get considered for the NRL HOF

Putting so many in all at once cheapens the whole thing and doesnt allow individuals to be recognised.

The whole administration of the NRL is an absolute mess... everything is dictated by Sydney media... how long has Elias been retired for??

I'd say he should be there, but why has he been getting overlooked for like 30yr

The answer to all of these questions is the same - NRL. When do they do anything with forward planning and well-thought out processes?

Certain clubs have a Hall of Fame.

For instance, the Brisbane Broncos have a Hall of Fame that's laid dormant since 2012.

Inductees:
2003 - Allan Langer
2003 - Glenn Lazarus
2003 - Kevin Walters
2003 - Michael Hancock
2004 - Kerrod Walters
2005 - Chris Johns
2006 - Steve Renouf
2007 - Terry Matterson
2007 - Willie Carne
2009 - Andrew Gee
2010 - Gorden Tallis
2012 - Wally Lewis
2012 - Gene Miles
2012 - Shane Webcke

I remember they tweaked the eligibility rules to fit Lewis in. When the concept was first drafted up, it seemed like it was put together to keep Wally out (had to play a certain amount of games etc.). Coincidentally Wally went from the Broncos harshest critic to one of their biggest supporters on Channel 9 after the induction.

If the Broncos followed the NRL method, they'd induct 12 players right away, including Payne Haas. It definitely should be brought back and I agree every club should have their own Hall of Fame to help preserve the legacy of the game.

As far as the NRL, it seems like every five years or so they get Hall of Fame fever, induct a bunch of players out of the blue and then they eventually get bored of it. Should be every year, judges should be doing their research and pushing historical examples and it'd be a great opportunity to promote the history of the game. I don't have a big issue with these inductions being first ballot, but they should have had their own induction years alongside other greats of the game. Especially when those other greats are still with us, it could give them some extra spending money on merch and memorabilia. If the NRL were smart they'd also have a competent video game series where these Hall of Fame players can mix it up with current plays aka Ultimate Team but they're too busy making overseas trips to Las Vegas.

Certain clubs have a Hall of Fame.

For instance, the Brisbane Broncos have a Hall of Fame that's laid dormant since 2012.

Inductees:
2003 - Allan Langer
2003 - Glenn Lazarus
2003 - Kevin Walters
2003 - Michael Hancock
2004 - Kerrod Walters
2005 - Chris Johns
2006 - Steve Renouf
2007 - Terry Matterson
2007 - Willie Carne
2009 - Andrew Gee
2010 - Gorden Tallis
2012 - Wally Lewis
2012 - Gene Miles
2012 - Shane Webcke

I remember they tweaked the eligibility rules to fit Lewis in. When the concept was first drafted up, it seemed like it was put together to keep Wally out (had to play a certain amount of games etc.). Coincidentally Wally went from the Broncos harshest critic to one of their biggest supporters on Channel 9 after the induction.

If the Broncos followed the NRL method, they'd induct 12 players right away, including Payne Haas. It definitely should be brought back and I agree every club should have their own Hall of Fame to help preserve the legacy of the game.

As far as the NRL, it seems like every five years or so they get Hall of Fame fever, induct a bunch of players out of the blue and then they eventually get bored of it. Should be every year, judges should be doing their research and pushing historical examples and it'd be a great opportunity to promote the history of the game. I don't have a big issue with these inductions being first ballot, but they should have had their own induction years alongside other greats of the game. Especially when those other greats are still with us, it could give them some extra spending money on merch and memorabilia. If the NRL were smart they'd also have a competent video game series where these Hall of Fame players can mix it up with current plays aka Ultimate Team but they're too busy making overseas trips to Las Vegas.
So the Broncos HOF doesnt include Petero... yet he's in the NRL HOF... it just seems all over the shop.

There's probably immortals that arent in a club HOF.

It just seems so haphazard how it's all played out... making the hall of fame is a massive achievement in the US, but it's given **** all respect in Australia because all they want to talk about are immortals... and even that concept is tarnished because of how much Sydney dictate on it.

Qld fans are calling for Alfie and Lockyer... and NSW fans are calling for Sterlo, Kenny, Fittler, Lazzo, etc.

The criteria to being selected is all over the shop... limitations from an era, etc.

There will be talk about Cronk going in whilst Lockyer and Alfie are left behind... which is just wrong on so many levels... but Cronk is in Foxtel media so he gets an automatic push

So the Broncos HOF doesnt include Petero... yet he's in the NRL HOF... it just seems all over the shop.

There's probably immortals that arent in a club HOF.

It just seems so haphazard how it's all played out... making the hall of fame is a massive achievement in the US, but it's given **** all respect in Australia because all they want to talk about are immortals... and even that concept is tarnished because of how much Sydney dictate on it.

Qld fans are calling for Alfie and Lockyer... and NSW fans are calling for Sterlo, Kenny, Fittler, Lazzo, etc.

The criteria to being selected is all over the shop... limitations from an era, etc.

There will be talk about Cronk going in whilst Lockyer and Alfie are left behind... which is just wrong on so many levels... but Cronk is in Foxtel media so he gets an automatic push

I think Lockyer and Langer are already there but...

apparently so too is Steve Walters but not Kevvie.

I think Lockyer and Langer are already there but...

apparently so too is Steve Walters but not Kevvie.
Into the NRL HOF or Broncos??

Because I was referring to Cronk will get calls to go into the immortals before those two... largely because he has mates in the media

As it is it's basically been forgotten that Lockyer was instrumental in the QLD dynasty until his retirement in 2011... apparently Cronk was a main man despite the dynasty ending in the 2014 series

Into the NRL HOF or Broncos??

Because I was referring to Cronk will get calls to go into the immortals before those two... largely because he has mates in the media

As it is it's basically been forgotten that Lockyer was instrumental in the QLD dynasty until his retirement in 2011... apparently Cronk was a main man despite the dynasty ending in the 2014 series

NRL HoF

I would if they got there and Lockyer didn't

Yeah this. Calls that Slater revolutionised the fullback role are bullshit. Slater was very good, but he just did what fullbacks had been doing for years, mastering it. But Lockyer is the one that changed fullback play forever. He was thrust in to the role as a matter of circumstance, with Langer and Walters owning the halves spots, but Locker utilising his ball-playing at the back is what changed how fullbacks have now played for the last 20 years.

I would if they got there and Lockyer didn't
It’s why there is the push to get Cameron Smith in so quick when previously it had to be at least 5 years. They can put him in and say that guys like Lockyer and Alfie have missed out now because they have moved to the next generation, it will then be Slater and JT etc.

They are so transparent it’s disgusting.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Alec
  • Skyblues87
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.