2024 NRL Injury Discussion

Head clashes aren't illegal. The MRC can still charge you if it's really bad and they don't think you showed enough duty of care, but that really comes down to their discretion.
To me that rule should be black and white, if the tackler never attempts to get low than any head on head clash should be deemed reckless. Because well it is.

Difference there being, head on head contact isn't illegal and it comes down to the discretion of the MRC. He probably should have been charged, he wasn't. In the case of Lussick, contact with the legs of a kicker is very illegal and any injury that comes as a result of that is going to lead to a harsher penalty.
pretty sure the crackdown on charge downs was specifically diving at the legs of the kicker not jumping to make contact with the ball,trying to remember what game it was arey got clipped in the leg last year while kicking was enough to injure him but no break so no punishment.

Head clashes aren't illegal. The MRC can still charge you if it's really bad and they don't think you showed enough duty of care, but that really comes down to their discretion.

From the NRL:

High Tackle – Reckless​

A Reckless High Tackle is when a defending player makes forceful contact with the head or neck of an attacking player. The high contact will be deemed reckless when a player foresees high contact before or during the action of a tackle and carries on with the tackle regardless of that risk. A player may “foresee” high contact when starting (or even during) a tackle even if he closes his eyes or looks away at the last moment.

What are the key indicators of this charge?

The defender is not attempting to make a genuine attempt at making a wrapping or grabbing tackle. The defender’s hand/s may be clinched in a fist. The defender’s arm may be swinging in an upwards direction. The attempted tackle was made in the marginal target area, which is high around the upper chest and shoulders of the defending player.

I can't believe you're even arguing this mate. Forceful contact with the head is very much illegal.

What's the definition of illegal contact on a kicker? I can't find anything current in the couple mins I looked.

From the NRL:

I can't believe you're even arguing this mate. Forceful contact with the head is very much illegal.

What's the definition of illegal contact on a kicker? I can't find anything current in the couple mins I looked.

That category is talking about when you come into a tackle with a swinging or stiff arm and make forceful contact with the head.

There would be a lot more charges if head clashes are illegal. Like I said, if it's bad enough and the MRC deem you didn't show enough duty of care, you can be charged. Sometimes they **** it up.

pretty sure the crackdown on charge downs was specifically diving at the legs of the kicker not jumping to make contact with the ball,trying to remember what game it was arey got clipped in the leg last year while kicking was enough to injure him but no break so no punishment.

Started out that way years ago, it changed over the years due to the constant bitching from the commentary and media about protecting the kickers. The onus is on the defender to not do so. If he didn't jump and cause any injury to Ilias, it likely just would have been a penalty and no charge.

Are you talking about the incident in Magic Round 2022? The only incident I can recall where Reynolds got an injury from being clipped after a kick.

Started out that way years ago, it changed over the years due to the constant bitching from the commentary and media about protecting the kickers. The onus is on the defender to not do so. If he didn't jump and cause any injury to Ilias, it likely just would have been a penalty and no charge.

Are you talking about the incident in Magic Round 2022? The only incident I can recall where Reynolds got an injury from being clipped after a kick.
No pretty sure it was last year will look for it when i get time if i could be arsed might have even been storm in Melbourne last year or panthers in gf maybe lol i havent had enough sleep to remember clear

Injury problems for Souths ...

Tavita Tatola has broken a bone in his foot, looking at 12 weeks on the sidelines

Tyrone Munro has a fractured collarbone that will likely require surgery... Also facing an extended stint on the sidelines

Injury problems for Souths ...

Tavita Tatola has broken a bone in his foot, looking at 12 weeks on the sidelines

Tyrone Munro has a fractured collarbone that will likely require surgery... Also facing an extended stint on the sidelines

They have seemed to have a lot of long injuries the last two seasons, I wonder why.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Organix
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • jarro65
  • Skathen
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.