2024 NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Do we know if Lomax took the biggest offer when he signed with St George Illawarra? That's where the argument falls down for me. St George may have ended up with him, but you'd have to imagine there were other clubs involved who made significant offers and Lomax sacrificed some cash out of loyalty to the club.

Punishing St George Illawarra when there are other members involved seems absurd.

Maybe the point would resonate better if we were talking about another player. Let's say hypothetically the Dragons decided to oust Hunt years earlier and he ends up at Melbourne on a much more favourable contract. Would that be fair on the Broncos or the rest of the NRL?
I think the dragons need to cop the difference or dont release him till he finds a equitable contract that they are happy with what they are kicking in,need to own these shit contracts like us and some other clubs have had too

With manlys predicament with schuster they should cop the difference on wherever he ends up too

There is talk that if Demetriou gets the boot this year, souths are looking at Meninga as the interim coach for the year :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
That seems insane... bunnies imploding!!

IMG 1899

Do we know if the Cobbo rumour is true?

Firstly, I have no idea who that mob are. never seen them before ... so their credibility is zero

secondly, the big decisions part is almost a word for word recap of a Courier Mail article earlier in the week talking about this same thing.

thirdly, Rothfield has been trying to float that Roosters rumour for ages, looks like someone took the bait and ran with it.

fourthly, the Roosters are unlikely to guarantee anyone a position. not to mention that they can't offer him a contract for another 7 months anyway.

and finally this desperation to play fullback seems to be massively overblown to me. While i have seen Cobbo talk about fullback once, it was before he had even cemented a spot in the team. IIRC, he also mentioned centre in that convo. now i could be wrong, but this seems more like the media talking up his desire to be a fulltime fullback rather than Cobbo himself.

Will be very interesting to see what broncos do with Cobbo, Staggs and Mariner vying for 2 spots and possibly 2 contracts, because can we keep bumping players up.

Mariner is locked down until 2027 and looks an absolute weapon on the wing... I think he could stay there and be a gun for his career, but you know he'll get itchy feet and want to move in one.

I think Cobbo is a star centre in the making and he's been killing it to start the year, so I have him as the priority out of Cobbo and Staggs.

It's a big call they'll have to make because Staggs has been a mainstay for the broncos and they won't necessarily want to leave him high and dry and potentially see him forced out, but I do wonder what the plan is.

If Staggs just looks to extend on his current deal or a slight upgrade and we can run with centres of Cobbo and Staggs, and Mariner keeps killing it at wing and is happy to bide his time then that is probably best case scenario.

Firstly, I have no idea who that mob are. never seen them before ... so their credibility is zero

secondly, the big decisions part is almost a word for word recap of a Courier Mail article earlier in the week talking about this same thing.

thirdly, Rothfield has been trying to float that Roosters rumour for ages, looks like someone took the bait and ran with it.

fourthly, the Roosters are unlikely to guarantee anyone a position. not to mention that they can't offer him a contract for another 7 months anyway.

and finally this desperation to play fullback seems to be massively overblown to me. While i have seen Cobbo talk about fullback once, it was before he had even cemented a spot in the team. IIRC, he also mentioned centre in that convo. now i could be wrong, but this seems more like the media talking up his desire to be a fulltime fullback rather than Cobbo himself.
Not to mention manu likely comes back in 2026 and slots in at fb

I think the dragons need to cop the difference or dont release him till he finds a equitable contract that they are happy with what they are kicking in,need to own these shit contracts like us and some other clubs have had too

With manlys predicament with schuster they should cop the difference on wherever he ends up too
I got too caught it up in the blame game. Yes, when you lay it out like that then Zac's 850,000 should be honoured in 2025.

The whole system needs to be reviewed. There needs to be more flexibility around player's salaries and the whole transfer system is ridiculous. Not enough clubs buy into the junior development pathways to make it worthwhile - what ends up happening is that a few clubs put in the hard work and others just pilfer talent.

I got too caught it up in the blame game. Yes, when you lay it out like that then Zac's 850,000 should be honoured in 2025.

The whole system needs to be reviewed. There needs to be more flexibility around player's salaries and the whole transfer system is ridiculous. Not enough clubs buy into the junior development pathways to make it worthwhile - what ends up happening is that a few clubs put in the hard work and others just pilfer talent.
They really need to sit down and nut out the finer details of how old is considered a junior of your club and the salary cap concessions that come with it biggest crime is the tigers by rights should have been set for the last 10 years 1 tedesco 6 brooks 7 moses instead all three are off at different clubs,im sure the tigers being a shit show played its part but that spine would have a few comps in it you would think

100%. Flegler is the one that hits really hard for me. The broncos persisted through the sin bins, suspensions and penalties and when it finally started bearing fruit someone else comes and throws money at him. Don’t know the answer but we should get something for all the quality first graders we develop.

Anyone club can talk to him whenever they like. They just cant talk money.
They can still talk money, just not money within their existing contract period

ie.
Hey Selwyn... how does $1m sound?? Maybe dont sign that extension and we'll be back in November.

We've also got that money available now if you happen to get out of your existing contract... not saying you should look for a release, because that would be us conspiring for you to break the contract.

Just saying if you happen to be out of contract before 2026 then we've certainly got that money available
😏😏

And personally I reckon Selwyn would struggle in Sydney. If we lose Cobbo it will be Reddy or the Cows. If we win the GF this year i think most will, at a minimum ink a one year extension on market unders

Gray signed with Souths for another two years.

Both happy and sad.

Rugby League Guru saying he’s got mail that Dragons will sign Schuster and release Ben Hunt to fit him under the cap. Hunt was spotted in Sydney coming from Brisbane recently and rumours are starting despite him and his partner having family in QLD.

I hope it’s true. I really do. That would be such a Dragons thing to do. Offload their best player for an overhyped lazy flop.

By all reports Hunt has backflipped on wanting to return to QLD and wants to re-sign with the Dragons.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • jarro65
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Tim K
  • Volvo Driver
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Tmac
  • ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncoscope
  • Dash
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • kman
  • LittleDavey
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.