Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Great try from the Souths winger with a big leap off a kick from Kelly

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Mozer with a try. Chancing his hand on the last with a kick.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Mozer throws a foreword pass from dummy half and that lets the air out of South’s ballon

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
How Souths is that- score a try, next set forward pass from the same player- Townsville score.

Hunt needs to recruit on smartness in 25.
Yeah it was ordinary for sure. To be fair they had a crack when they went to 12 men. Looked like a team who have a had a lot of changes every week.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Mozer 41 tackles and 0 misses. He's busting his arse out there for them.

Blackhawks sets went 11m further, so Souths were pretty much doing an extra tackle every set.

He's no longer the cool as hooker, a few times this year he's been fired up and angry out there.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Mozer 41 tackles and 0 misses. He's busting his arse out there for them.

Blackhawks sets went 11m further, so Souths were pretty much doing an extra tackle every set.

He's no longer the cool as hooker, a few times this year he's been fired up and angry out there.
If only we could somehow transfer that attitude to the firsts!

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Both Mozer and Paix scored kick ahead tries yesterday.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

8. Fletcher Baker – Burleigh Bears​

In his first game for the Bears, Baker was explosive. The Brisbane Broncos affiliate had been shifted to Burleigh ahead of Round 14 and in 46 minutes, made quite the statement against the Brisbane Tigers. The 24-year-old ran for 127 metres and recorded a try assist, three offloads, two tackle busts and a line break assist, as well as 19 tackles.

9. Cory Paix – Wynnum Manly Seagulls​

In a stunning all-round performance, Paix was instrumental against the Capras on Sunday. The Brisbane Broncos affiliate bagged a double in the draw at BMD Kougari Oval and made 35 tackles. He also registered 73 run metres, three tackle breaks and two line breaks. It was a strong week from hookers across the competition, with Souths Logan's Blake Mozer and Townsville's Jayden Hodges also starring.

10. Martin Taupau – Souths Logan Magpies​

In his first week with Souths Logan - swapping from Burleigh - the Brisbane Broncos affiliate flexed his muscle against Townsville. While he couldn't do enough to help his new side to a win, Taupau made his presence be felt with a huge 171 run metres, four tackle breaks, three offloads and 20 tackles in 54 minutes on the field. Other standout props included Ipswich's Clayton Mack, Western Clydesdales forward Emry Pere, Central Queensland's Zev John and Norths' Tukimihia Simpkins.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Paix is too good for Q Cup level. It’s a shame he hasn’t found a new home.

If baker just ran hard and tackled hard he could have been useful. Seems like he’s a bit of a bully in lower grades

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

If baker just ran hard and tackled hard he could have been useful. Seems like he’s a bit of a bully in lower grades
I wonder if it's that he can't lead the pack in NRL... maybe he would go better as a starter with Haas and Patty rather than having to be the leader off the bench?

It would be harsh on Jenson, but a consistent bench of Jensen and Willison with Kobe, is far different to Willison, Baker and Kobe... a lot of pressure on Willison in that second bench, whereas that first bench looks very balanced and could provide some room for Kobe.

Also Kobe needs to learn how to play second row pronto... just looking at those benches made me realise that our current regular bench of Willison, Kobe and Gos, is just not enough size.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Baker's last two Cup games have been good, I thought that Hunters game would be a turning point but then he got recalled and went backwards. He's got a lot of bad habits that need breaking.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Baker's last two Cup games have been good, I thought that Hunters game would be a turning point but then he got recalled and went backwards. He's got a lot of bad habits that need breaking.

Thanks Rorters, great development... This is what happens when we sign NSW blow-ins...

In all seriousness I hope he comes good, he's a big body and has some good skills in his kit bag, he could potentially be a good player for us if he can get the crap stuff out of his game.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Baker has a big skillset you can see but he lacks big on the fundamentals of being a middle forward and needs to focus on that, I don't think it's a quick fix though because it's the high effort work rate stuff we are talking about.

it definitely seems like who ever picked him up was too focused on what skills he had and not soo focused on his ability to actually play the position properly.

Imo he might be better served leaning out and being a backrower instead of being a middle.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Baker has a big skillset you can see but he lacks big on the fundamentals of being a middle forward and needs to focus on that, I don't think it's a quick fix though because it's the high effort work rate stuff we are talking about.

it definitely seems like who ever picked him up was too focused on what skills he had and not soo focused on his ability to actually play the position properly.

Imo he might be better served leaning out and being a backrower instead of being a middle.
I think you're right with the skills... he has a nice offload, has setup some tries already (cut out in cows game and the one off a bat back) and quick ptb seems to be his best asset.

I think where he lacks is physicality... he's been dominated in the middle often, even by smaller men.

He looks a big unit on TV, but they've got him at 107kg... might need to put some more mass on to compete better with the bigger bodies in the middle.

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
it definitely seems like who ever picked him up was too focused on what skills he had and not soo focused on his ability to actually play the position properly
I'm pretty sure whoever does our recruiting just watches highlight vids

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I took an interest in Baker post Broncos’ signing and I saw some lazy habits. Against the Storm in finals Grant took advantage of him being slow out of the tackle and followed him to make ground and then the NSW Cup Grand Final thought his attack was very lacking- coming off the bench in a GF you need impact and he didn’t provide that.

I know he’s had lots of knee disruptions but he’s still played 35/46 Cup/NRL games after the disappointment of the Roosters exit he should have been frothing to play a GF.

I saw some worrying things at the end of last season, and they've carried over into this season.

That fend from Cleary stands out this year, Cleary has straight armed anyone in his life.

His attention to detail just isn't there.

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • KickHaas
  • Fitzy
  • RolledOates
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.