2024 State of Origin discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
They’ll put a lot of pressure on themselves with a poor kicking game with Hynes and Luai running the show. Plus Robson isn’t known for kicking out of dummy half. I thought Burton was the selection as a running 6 with a good kicking game.

Latrell the obvious selection in the centres instead of Suaalii who always plays his best on the wing anyway.

their bench looks a bit lost I’d reckon. 4 forward but why?
In an ideal world Latrell would be one of the first players picked at 4, but his form has been so poor he's played himself out of the team. I still have question marks over how legitimate his hamstring injury was last year.

It just seems like they couldn't decide who they wanted between Oloakauatu and Young and did the old 'why not both'. They're both talented players and it looks like the Blues will really challenge the Maroons around the ruck but it could all backfire if they cop an injury to the backs.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
If NSW manage to get up the lols about Cleary not being a top tier half will be fun,

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Insane if the rumours are true that Fifita isn't even in the QLD 20 man squad.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

Billy just thinks different I guess?

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
View attachment 28084

Billy just thinks different I guess?
Don't get why they wouldn't just drop one of Tualigi or Val for Cobbo. The cows have been in shocking form, two close wins against horrific competition doesn't change that.

Obviously doing it on behalf of Uncle Nick. How dare Dave do that to him!!!

Didn't even have the courtesy to give him a call smh. Apparently that disrespect shook Hoops to tears

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Don't get why they wouldn't just drop one of Tualigi or Val for Cobbo. The cows have been in shocking form, two close wins against horrific competition doesn't change that.

The picture is misleading considering the headline about Fifita, although I haven't read the article.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Here is the QLD team according to Badel / Meyn / Riccio

1 Reece Walsh
2 Xavier Coates
3 Valentine Holmes
4 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
5 Murray Taulagi
6 Tom Dearden
7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8 Reuben Cotter
9 Ben Hunt
10 Lindsay Collins
11 Jaydn Su’A
12 Jeremiah Nanai
13 Pat Carrigan

Bench
14 Harry Grant
15 Moeaki Fotuaika
16 J’Maine Hopgood
17 Selwyn Cobbo

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
My concern is Billy planning to run with Cobbo on the bench or something in place of Fifita

Edit: Well, there you go I guess.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Cobbo on the bench is good for the Broncos at least. The team picked should dust up whatever the hell NSW are putting out.

Hopefully Val turns up in defence because his club form has been dreadful

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
I hate that bench. Why are we picking hopgood? His defence has been horrible this year. He was great last year and has been average this year.

I do not understand not picking Fifita. Once he has got over his injury he has been excellent for the Titans. Sua? Meh. Im not sure what they are doing with Cobbo either.

Don't love the team overall. Pretty evenly matched teams on paper if Im being honest.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
I cannot believe Fifita wasn't picked. What has he done wrong to be axed? The mind boggles.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I'll wait to hear it from Billy first tbh. I'm sure I read an article earlier about Fifi needing to prove himself for Billy to pick him...considering he was excellent against us I'm not sure how you leave him out.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I seriously don't understand the Cobbo selection. It feels like Billy couldn't decide between Cobbo and the outside backs picked to start, so he just selected them all.

IMO you can't carry a hooker AND an outside back (even one that can also play fullback) on the bench

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I seriously don't understand the Cobbo selection. It feels like Billy couldn't decide between Cobbo and the outside backs picked to start, so he just selected them all.

IMO you can't carry a hooker AND an outside back (even one that can also play fullback) on the bench

That's my concern. I can see him playing Cobbo in a hybrid style backrow position. He's been talking all week about "Why do we have and need position x, y and z?" in any interviews I've heard

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Looks like both teams have stupid asf picks this year.

Don't understand Cobbo on the bench at all just like I don't understand how he isn't starting.

Active Now

• mystico
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wendall Taylor
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • Jedhead
  • Skyblues87
  • Rowdy124
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.