2024 State of Origin discussion

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Interesting you say not caring too much because I reckon that might have something to do with his omission.
On 360 tonight he mentioned that Cobbo has been playing with painkillers and specifically talked about how young he is. Also that if Broncos were playing this week then he didn't think he'd be playing for them either.

So maybe he can just see that Selwyn is bashed up at the moment and needing a break.

Selwyn has played every game, except the Tigers game, so far this year and basically every minute of every game he's played in. He's averaging 144m running per game from centre.

Maybe he just thinks Selwyn could do with a rest and then bring him back for Game 3... maybe he didn't want to show his hand with how he intends to use him off the bench and wants to keep it a secret if needed in a decider.... maybe it's something else...

I don't think you could look at Cobbo's game against the bunnies and think... he doesn't look like he's doing enough. He ended up topping the run meters for both teams despite being off for a HIA. It looked like he was trying to do too much to rectify his errors and get us back in the game.

Either way it's beneficial to us, because now Selwyn does get a break after 15 games.. maybe that will be enough to fix up whatever niggle he has and he comes out firing against the warriors in a couple weeks.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Concerned that we're (Broncos) forcing a young player to play through injury.

who says we're forcing him to play.

assuming playing doesn't make the injury worse, there is a good chance it's Cobbo's choice to play

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Did anyone watch 360 and watch Billy embarrass Read for the questions he asked regarding Madge's glass houses comment?

Someone didn't do their research.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Did anyone watch 360 and watch Billy embarrass Read for the questions he asked regarding Madge's glass houses comment?

Someone didn't do their research.

Slater did comment on it- Read was right.

“I honestly don’t like watching it too much, it’s pretty sickening and it’s not good for our game. I can’t imagine too many mums and dads would want to throw their kids in the car and take them and sign them up after watching this sort of stuff”

“I was really disappointed, because I know how hard he [Walsh] prepared for the game and he had great clarity around what his game looked like. He was ready to go after it and that was taken away from him only seven minutes into the contest.

That's the exact quote Madge was responding to and the question Read was asking.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

“I honestly don’t like watching it too much, it’s pretty sickening and it’s not good for our game. I can’t imagine too many mums and dads would want to throw their kids in the car and take them and sign them up after watching this sort of stuff”

“I was really disappointed, because I know how hard he [Walsh] prepared for the game and he had great clarity around what his game looked like. He was ready to go after it and that was taken away from him only seven minutes into the contest.

That's the exact quote Madge was responding to and the question Read was asking.

Read was talking about the comments made by members of the coaching staff where they flat out accused NSW of targeting Walsh and now he's back-pedaling.

Slater has never accused NSW of targeting Walsh.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

How's that got anything to do with Madge's 'Glass Houses' comment. Madge is either referring to the suggestion that NSW instructed Suaali to target Walsh illegally which Billy has never said, or he is saying that Billy shouldn't live in glass houses around the action yet I can never recall Billy knocking anyone out from a reckless shoulder to the head.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Read was talking about the comments made by members of the coaching staff where they flat out accused NSW of targeting Walsh and now he's back-pedaling.

Slater has never accused NSW of targeting Walsh.

No he wasn't.

“You could hear the crickets then,” Anasta quipped after the completion of the interview.

“Well he did make some comments. He spoke about it being a bad look,” Read responded.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
How's that got anything to do with Madge's 'Glass Houses' comment. Madge is either referring to the suggestion that NSW instructed Suaali to target Walsh illegally which Billy has never said, or he is saying that Billy shouldn't live in glass houses around the action yet I can never recall Billy knocking anyone out from a reckless shoulder to the head.

No but Billy did kick John Skandalis in the head. He's clearly referencing Billy's less than clean record.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

Solid bit of shade from Gordie that.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Read came in completely unprepared to ask the question.

It was like "Madge today said QLD shouldn't comment from glasshouses do you have a response?"

There was no context initially from Read to Billy, so he rightfully had no idea what he was talking about.

Then Read said something like... "it's believed it was in response to what you said after the game."

Billy interpreted that as comments he made in the presser rightfully pointing out that he purposely didnt make any comments

Then Read was like "it was something you said on channel 9 or something"

At that point the question is so up in the air and messy that Billy would have no idea what he's actually asking anymore .. what is Billy meant to be responding to from that line of questioning.

Read couldn't even recite the comment that Billy made on the Sunday Footy show

He was unprepared and Billy rightfully palmed it off, because the question that was being asked was all over the shop.

Then afterwards after they've stopped talking to Billy they're like... surely Billy knows what comments Madge made... it's been everywhere.

Maybe it's been everywhere on Fox but who says that Billy watches Fox... he probably doesnt look at social media either... and the whole interview was promoted as an exclusive on 360... so how is he meant to know context around the entire thing when the interview hadn't even been played in its entirety before they spoke to him.

Madge wasnt even specific about who or what he was referring to with the glasshouses comment.

No context was provided from Read and they've just assumed Madge was talking about Billy... but they havent necessarily pinpointed it to anything in particular ... Was Madge referring to something from Billy's playing days? Was it suggesting that Qld had targeted players in the past? Was it specifically about comments from Qld regarding the incidents ie Myles talking to Suaalii during it or JT afterwards about suggesting Reece was targeted?

I have no idea what Madge was referring to specifically because he provided no context... from what I can remember he was talking about NSW will stand by Joe or something like that and QLD talking from glasshouses.

It's so vague that maybe Madge was fishing so Fox would go and find something that he can now retrospectively say "yeah that... that's what I was talking about"

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Read came in completely unprepared to ask the question.

It was like "Madge today said QLD shouldn't comment from glasshouses do you have a response?"

There was no context initially from Read to Billy, so he rightfully had no idea what he was talking about.

Then Read said something like... "it's believed it was in response to what you said after the game."

Billy interpreted that as comments he made in the presser rightfully pointing out that he purposely didnt make any comments

Then Read was like "it was something you said on channel 9 or something"

At that point the question is so up in the air and messy that Billy would have no idea what he's actually asking anymore .. what is Billy meant to be responding to from that line of questioning.

Read couldn't even recite the comment that Billy made on the Sunday Footy show

He was unprepared and Billy rightfully palmed it off, because the question that was being asked was all over the shop.

Then afterwards after they've stopped talking to Billy they're like... surely Billy knows what comments Madge made... it's been everywhere.

Maybe it's been everywhere on Fox but who says that Billy watches Fox... he probably doesnt look at social media either... and the whole interview was promoted as an exclusive on 360... so how is he meant to know context around the entire thing when the interview hadn't even been played in its entirety before they spoke to him.

Madge wasnt even specific about who or what he was referring to with the glasshouses comment.

No context was provided from Read and they've just assumed Madge was talking about Billy... but they havent necessarily pinpointed it to anything in particular ... Was Madge referring to something from Billy's playing days? Was it suggesting that Qld had targeted players in the past? Was it specifically about comments from Qld regarding the incidents ie Myles talking to Suaalii during it or JT afterwards about suggesting Reece was targeted?

I have no idea what Madge was referring to specifically because he provided no context... from what I can remember he was talking about NSW will stand by Joe or something like that and QLD talking from glasshouses.

It's so vague that maybe Madge was fishing so Fox would go and find something that he can now retrospectively say "yeah that... that's what I was talking about"

I agree it wasn't exactly Parkinson, but it was pretty clear what it was all about.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
who says we're forcing him to play.

assuming playing doesn't make the injury worse, there is a good chance it's Cobbo's choice to play

That high ball he knocked on the other night might be a symptom ?
Is he having injections in his hand ?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Just hearing Madge's comments again now he says along the lines of "coming after a player like that is not on... and then something about Qld from glasshouses... and then along the lines of standing by his team"... What Fox have quoted in an article is below.

If I'm looking at all the context that Madge is talking about there then I'm thinking he's talking about comments from Myles and JT towards Suaalii more than anything... and then any follow up later on through the media that Reece was illegally targetted.

I can only think that he's suggesting it's unfair attention from the media and any claims that he outright went out to illegally attack a player... so to me he's talking about openly questioning a player's integrity in the media is not on.

I'm not sure where the glasshouses comment is directed based on the below though... and how it automatically relates to Billy.

“You’ve got to make sure that you don’t live in glasshouses, that’s all I’ll say,” he said.

“Things happen on the field. Joey is a special human being, and for him to have to deal with that (wasn’t on). He’ll be in and around the camp at some stage, but things happen on the field.

“It’s glasshouses. Interesting.

“He’s my player, they’re my players. If you want to have a crack at our players, we’re about us and what we’re doing, and you’ve got to make sure that when you’re with your players that you look after them. That’s what I’m doing.”

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
lol so Read couldn't even have the comments in front of him ready to recite if needed. It was probably gonna be their big gotcha of the show/origin week and he fluffed it.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
lol so Read couldn't even have the comments in front of him ready to recite if needed. It was probably gonna be their big gotcha of the show/origin week and he fluffed it.
Ah they're just running with ahh you ruffled his feathers. QLD in crisis etc.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Quality quote here from Reece Robson

" Everyone gets Origin, it’s why NSW has been successful over the last few years as well. We don’t go around saying they don’t get it "

Erm, hate to break it to you Reece, you have lost the last 2 series.

Unread

Active Now

• something
  • Brocko
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.