2024 State of Origin discussion

We've been overpowered in the forwards in both games and we have 2 on the bench. Just weird.
Don't need 2 hookers and Ponga.
We loose 1 forward to HIA early and we are shot.
Grant was the obvious one to miss out if Ponga HAD to be picked.
Im not picking up what Billy is putting down .

Capewell selection screams "we're still Queenslanders"...

Seems to me the decision to keep him in the side is a defensive one.. While he hasn't been that good, the other options haven't been any better.

I don't fucking know. I was willing to give him a chance but he didn't exactly justify his selection.

Of Carrigan or Collins are injured during play it will be extremely difficult to contain NSW.

The absolute only reason I can see Capewell being picked over Fifita is the flexibility that Capewell brings to allow for Ponga on the bench... and that's kind of clutching at straws there.

If a centre or winger goes down Capewell can shift out and Kaufusi to second row... but Ponga is there that can do it as well... so it's an interesting one.

If his line of thinking is to shift Capewell instead of Ponga... then he must have some sort of plan ready for Ponga.

The absolute only reason I can see Capewell being picked over Fifita is the flexibility that Capewell brings to allow for Ponga on the bench... and that's kind of clutching at straws there.

If a centre or winger goes down Capewell can shift out and Kaufusi to second row... but Ponga is there that can do it as well... so it's an interesting one.

If his line of thinking is to shift Capewell instead of Ponga... then he must have some sort of plan ready for Ponga.

I’m guessing Ponga may come on as a lock/link role?

Having Grant and Ponga come on through the middle against tired forwards could be deadly and allow Reece to have a field day on their edges.

Whether we’re able to set enough of a platform for them is another question though.

Indeed it is an interesting one.....makes no sense of the face of it. The only reason I can see Capewell's inclusion is because he provides cover/replacement value for the backs. As you suggest, with Ponga there....Capewell's cover isn't needed.

Surely there's more to gain by having Fifita on the field than Capewell.

Dunno....feels like Billy's got this one wrong.

Ponga is an interesting selection. Wonder if Billy is running out of patience with walsh.

Lol how does piakura make the extended squad? I know it doesn't mean much but why reward complete mediocrity.
Agreed... it seems odd that Billy talks about standards, but is bringing Piakura through who noticeably struggles with the 1%'ers on the field and struggles to put together an 80min performance at NRL level.

He would need to have some sort of off season and then come flying out of the gates next year to be anywhere near origin.

I get that Billy wants him there to expose him to QLD camps, etc. but it's a little bit like handing out jerseys rather than earning them. I would say Fermor has earned it more and should be ahead of him at this stage, but hasnt really been talked about at all.

If there's one player coming through that really needs to earn a QLD jersey it's probably Piakura.

For his career so far he got a big contract based on potential, spent it basically injured or in reserve grade, got himself an extension... most likely on potential again... found himself getting some games off the bench, finally earning something, but was then immediately rewarded with the starting spot and 80min role the following year.

He hasnt really been great in that starting role, but there's no competition for his spot, and it's non stop cheerleading from all the media and getting call ups to the Qld extended squad.

He is super talented and has a heap of potential, but it feels like it's all just falling into his lap and he's not really undergone all that much adversity at this point in his career... outside of injuries here and there that has delayed his first grade spot... but it didnt really affect him as he's there now.

If Piakura became the kind of player that was hammering home his fitness, defence and the 1%'ers he could be one of the best second rowers running around in the game, but he's not near that yet and getting all these plaudits without really achieving anything could see him get complacent with his development, as he might think he's already achieved it all.

This is where back in the day the strong leadership from Webke, Tallis, Thorn, etc. would bring him way back to earth.... there is no way they would be allowing him to get away with lapses like he does on the field at the moment.

Patty and Payne need to be the ones driving those standards now, but even then do they have that real hard edge to knock a young guy back and demand he be better.

I get the sense Jensen would and if Kobe can get himself back on track he could as well... that's why these guys are needed in a squad. They've had to earn absolutely everything they get out of the game... they weren't allowed to take shortcuts and still have it fall into their laps. You want those guys as leaders in the team so the young guys know their place and what's required to be in first grade week in week out.

I'm just not sure how Fifita isn't there. He could cover middle for short stints and can break the game open on the edge. And he's miles ahead of Capes and Kaufusi...
Perplexing

Looking at the bench I'd probably be starting Kaufusi at prop over Cotter.

Have Kaufusi out there to cut some blokes in half and then bring Cotter on later to use his footwork in the middle.

Could also start Cotter at second row and bring Nanai on later against tired forwards, but Cotter there to provide defence on the edge... because that's where NSW will be coming again.

People reading too much into the forward pack stuff. It was an attitude and want thing. Not a size or ability thing. Especially defensively. We actually did fine in our sets early with the ball. Then Klein put his imprint on things and we just ran out of gas. I think the attitude is key at the start and standing up for yourself. That's why I hate Sua being dropped and for Capewell? I would rather Kaufusi start on an edge than him. He atleast makes you think defensively. Capewell can barely move. Kaufusi and Capewell out for Sua and Fifita would have been perfect but Billy knows best I guess.... will see how they respond.

Unread

Active Now

• Dexter
  • kwomo
  • Gaz
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • Griffo
  • teampjta
  • marw
  • Financeguy
  • theshed
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.