2024 State of Origin - Game I Discussion

You two just seem to want to die on interesting hills to look 'radical' or 'cool'

Nah ...
Just not biased enough to be outraged by an accident .

I`m sad for Reece , that was a brain injury that had him stiff on the ground .

But Sualliiii just fcked up . He wanted to ball and all tackle and it went wrong .

No mention of the spear tackle by Qld that was not a sin bin though ?

Like I said Madge didn`t rehearse that up in the Blue Mountains .

He wanted to ball and all tackle and it went wrong
Ball and all? Dont you have to wrap with the arms to do that? Because Sua'li'i made no attempt to wrap and led with the shoulder.
I reckon you are just baiting at this point.

So Del, you would have been happy if the outcome was that we lose Walsh for the whole game to a reckless/dangerous tackle and they only get a guy sat down for 10?

Klein had no option but to send him, and while that may upset some who think Origin should be exempt from send-offs, he would have been in fucking hot water with the NRL if he had done anything else, particularly with the focus on concussions in the modern game.

The morning after and I still find little satisfaction from thumping the cockroaches. The whole game was ruined after the 7 or 8th minute by some careless and reckless dickhead who thinks nothing of kneeing the opposition.

Our game lost a heap of potential new followers because-a- they never got to see the excitement that Walsh brings to the game and -b- tens of thousands of mums watching that with their young sons suddenly saw what was potentially on offer for their own kids.

It’s fucked that.a generational talent is being taken out of the game by sheer bloody mindlessness. If the ref had dealt with the first tackle on Walsh (which was late and also while he was in the air) it may have tempered any future attempts to nail him.

The fact Klein did nothing for the first three hits is just reeks of amateur hour on steroids. Four weeks for that shit stain act of thuggery is tantamount to the NRL saying “we’re coming down heavy on head shots, but only if it’s a NSW favourite “.

If that was Cleary, Turbo or Tedesco the commentators and the Sydney media would be in meltdown at this stage and they would be calling for 10 to 12 weeks for the perpetrator to stamp this shit out of the game.

Instead we get 4 weeks with an early plea and crickets.

Slater’s refusal to comment on the hit was also a cowardly cop out. Back up our boys ffs and call it out for what it was ffs. Saying nothing allows it slip away under the radar.

Most people upset with send off are upset game was over after 7 minutes.
Hard to evaluate game for either coach playing at such a huge disadvantage.
Regardless if you think send off was the correct call. Was nsw defence really that bad even they conceded 38 points? Was Queensland attack that good?
NSW were winning arm wrestle most of second half until fatigue set it.

Queensland probably should have put on another two tries down the left in the first half, but players got in each others' way. I don't know if it was really a great defensive effort from New South Wales, or at least not wholly that - I think Queensland just didn't click, and switched off through parts of the game. When they decided to play, they turned it on again. Of course fatigue from playing seventy-odd minutes down a man is going to play into that.

I'd definitely say the Blues were resilient, and chancing their hand in attack against a not necessarily fully committed Queensland team gave them good field position for a large chunk of the game.

Nah ...
Just not biased enough to be outraged by an accident .

I`m sad for Reece , that was a brain injury that had him stiff on the ground .

But Sualliiii just fcked up . He wanted to ball and all tackle and it went wrong .

No mention of the spear tackle by Qld that was not a sin bin though ?

Like I said Madge didn`t rehearse that up in the Blue Mountains .

When has a tackle where the player is barely lifted, lands on his upper back, ever been a send off?

It was as "we have to penalise it due to precident" as it gets.

So that's twice this year. v Penrith they tackled his head (not much action) and now they've done it again. I get that he's slipping, and that he's a small boi. Onus on protection of the player is on the tackler. We know, and they know, Walsh feints close to the line to throw the ball and slumps a little - its not a surprise at this point.

Will there be a 3rd time? Will the NRL be happy their poster child is rubbed out of the game? Will it take a career ending neck injury for the NRL to wake up?

Absolutely furious.

They 100% had a plan to bash Walsh out of the game. Late hits, going in hard with the shoulder. Tackled in the air. Probably would've tried to take his legs out if he went after a high ball. Suaali fucked it up by going too late and getting him in the head.

So Del, you would have been happy if the outcome was that we lose Walsh for the whole game to a reckless/dangerous tackle and they only get a guy sat down for 10?

No !
And I never once said it wasn`t a send off .

All this outrage . But Qlders tipped a bloke beyond horizontal and not a peep .

You and your gang saying it was deliberate is what I am disagreeing with .

Like it was practiced . Yeah Benny Elias said rough him up . Freddy said be rough on him . Neither of them said hit him in the head and take him out .

And if you still think Sualiiii deliberately took him out I call BULL SHIT .

No !

Like it was practiced . Yeah Benny Elias said rough him up . Freddy said be rough on him . Neither of them said hit him in the head and take him out .

And if you still think
No one in here is saying their plan was to hit him in the head mate!!

Their plan was most certainly to smash him hard, and harder than in club footy because there is more leniency in Origin.

Madge would 100% have coached his side to demolish Walsh as hard as they can, and with that kind of coaching, it brings risks of shit like what Sua'li'i did.

In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if he said to toe the line with contact because a sinbin is a cheap price to pay to wipe out the most dangerous attack on the QLD team,

The surprise at the send off, and the constant talk of their plan not working, and no one planning around a send off is pretty damning.

Slater’s refusal to comment on the hit was also a cowardly cop out. Back up our boys ffs and call it out for what it was ffs. Saying nothing allows it slip away under the radar.
JT was not so quiet to the media scrum outside the hotel this morning... outright claimed that they targeted Reece

That should get some attention put onto it now

JT was not so quiet to the media scrum outside the hotel this morning... outright claimed that they targeted Reece

That should get some attention put onto it now
Well they did target him. I said they would before the game. It was expected. It was just the illegal way they went about it. He’s a tough little rooster and can take the knocks. What he can’t take is illegal shit like last night and the shit in the Panthers game. We need to come down so heavy on that sort of shit.

We’ll they did target him. I said they would before the game. It was expected. It was just the illegal way they went about it. He’s a tough little rooster and can take the knocks. What he can’t take is illegal shit like last night and the shit in the Panthers game. We need to come down so heavy on that sort of shit.
Its potentially career ending. Look at Ponga and Keary.
Walsh is on the same trajectory and they are all coming off illegal hits.
Its fucking disgusting and the only good thing to come from that hit last night, is that its now undeniable.

Madge is a fucking moron of a coach and has not evolved to the way the game is played in 2024.

Random thoughts (cbf last night) re: nsw

Suaaili killed the game but gave the ref no choice. I was actually kinda shocked they sent him - not that it was unwarranted, but normally they don't have the balls and the whole origin is reffed differently bullshit.

Hynes shit the bed again as predicted. The bigger the spotlight the more he shrinks.

S Crichton, luai, lomax and Martin were all very good for nsw. I'd be considering Crichton for the captaincy if I was nsw.

Tedesco is yesterday's fullback. No ballplaying threat.

What does yeo do at origin level?

My mates brother flew from Adelaide to Sydney to watch game spent quite a bit of money to see them game hotel, flights tickets poor bugger game was over under ten minutes

No !

All this outrage . But Qlders tipped a bloke beyond horizontal and not a peep .

And if you still think Sualiiii deliberately took him out I call BULL SHIT .
You really should try watching that "spear tackle" again. Ridiculous that it was even a penalty.

You really should try watching that "spear tackle" again. Ridiculous that it was even a penalty.

Beyond horizontal is the definition .
What part of that didn`t it meet ?

I`ve seen a few lately that could`ve ended in disaster . More good luck than good management that the player landed on his shoulder rather than his neck .

There were a few leg pulls / lifts that were ignored last night that have been a penalty in NRL this season too .

The notion that oh it’s origin so it’s not a send off is the exact attitude that holds Rugby League back. It’s a send off at every level of the game!
The same sort of arguments for other sport:

“It’s a football World Cup final bro, you can’t red card the bloke for a late, studs up slide tackle that broke Messi’s leg! It ruined the game!”

“It’s a cricket World Cup final bro. The ump ruined the game by taking the bloke out of the attack for intentionally beamering Head and concussing him!”

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Browny
  • davidp
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • Tim K
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Sproj
  • heartly87
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Muros
  • Bronx48
  • TimWhatley
  • MrMoore
  • winslow_wong
  • Jason Simmons
  • Wolfie
  • Redux
  • theshed
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.