2024 State of Origin - Game I Discussion

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Will Suaalii have the shortest origin career in history... Just 7.5 minutes

He'll miss the second game suspended, so ...

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
How is this idiot a commentator!?

You have to wonder what happened to Vossy. Used to be the only half decent commentator in the sport now just resorts to engagement farming no matter how stupid it makes him look. If you read through that thread he never replies at all, just throws it out knowing he will get a fuckload of comments.

In quiet moments he must reflect on his career and be seriously embarrassed.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
I watched the game this morning again. Saw a few things that atood out and a few things are different then what I originally thought.

Holmes had some great carries when we needed them. Played better on replay then I thought. Thought he was horrible originally. He still has the bad errors.

S Chricton really helped that edge once he moved over there. Just a great defender. Shut down a number of things. Especially covering Hynes the liability.

Luai was the only spark they had. Hynes and Tedesco were awful. Hynes kicking game was horrible. He had the wheels turning every time he had to make a decision. Alot of the time it ended up with a nothing run himself. Why he ran 128m. Tedesco just gets involved too much. He has fallen off a cliff as a creator.

Leniu was great for his role. He looked pissed when they took him off for that last barnstorming run. He had only just come on in the previous set too from the "HIA". Not sure why they didn't keep him on for the next 10mins atleast. Was one of the only forwards bending the line. Felt like Madge having too many forward options and trying to get mins for all of them. Bad interchange use.

Haumole came on and went mental for 3 tackles in a row and was spent for the rest of his stint. Looked like he was playing in the middle. A nothing selection.

Trbojevic. 29mins. What is the point. Was a token last 4mins too at the end of the game. He had 2 runs in a set in qlds half where he fell to his knees trying to get a quick play the ball and they were rightly called surrender by Klein and QLD got to reset their D line. Offers nothing unless he plays 60.

Yeo is struggling to find his way in origin. I thought he was ok just his ballplaying isnt as effective at this level. Maybe because the synergy isnt there with all the other components of the shape. Still think his leg speed in the middle was good.

Lomax was very good for a debut. Fotuaika and Hopgood really offered something in their mins. Collins and Cotter second stint was excellent. Grant was awful. Just had looked a bit off the last year imo. Workload might be getting to him. Looks fatigued alot. Hunt was great as usual. DCE came up with every big play. Dearden was solid. The timing was off sometimes with that edge especially when Walsh went off. Got better towards the end.

Cobbo was awesome with the ball. He might not want to watch that Liam Martin run though. He looked like the backrower on that play. Sometimes he looks lime he is in cement defensively. Got better as the night went on though.

I thought QLD could have played alot better tbh. Like people have said its hard to take much from the game. The mindset and intensity completely changes when you know its 13 on 12. NSW were.desperate and QLD were just going through the motions and that was always going to be good enough with a man advantage. Cameron Smith I thought nailed it in the post game. They looked like they went into their shell with the ball and Billy will mention that. The errors werent exactly from them trying to create chances. Was just simple drop balls.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Agree with most of this. I think the edict is to go out there and make him feel uncomfortable, rough him up so he's less likely to go to the line. This isn't the 80's where they're going to do a Boyd on Brohman type of attack.

Suaalii had basically lined him up to smash him legally, Walsh slips as he's coming into the line and therefore his body position is a lot lower than it was 1.5 seconds prior, Suaalii cannot adjust in that time (no one can) and he smashes him in the head.

Yes it was a bad hit, yes it was a send off. Do I think they went out there to do exactly what transpired? I very much doubt it.

Of course this is right, the same way Queensland spoke about ways to make it as hard for Hynes and had plans in place to be physical. They just didn't get it wrong and belt him in the head.

Queensland spoke about Joe's defence and how he shoots up and in aggressively and had plans to tip it on quickly which Walsh did do.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The issue with Walsh is that this isn't the first time this has happened. This is the second time, in the same season where Walsh has been cleaned up running the exact same shape. Contrary to what's been stated here, Suaalii initiated the contact and came screaming out of the line.

The officials got it right last night, but they could have set the tone earlier when Martin got him with not one but two cheap shots. First late on the kicker and then a blatant Tevita Pangai esque flop. The Blues thought they had free reign and in the end it blew up in their face.

Going back further, if the officials got it right with the Taylan May incident maybe it would have made coaches think twice. Madge incriminated himself when he brought the incident up in the post match press conference and coaches clearly thought they had some leeway, hopefully it'll make them think twice.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
You have to wonder what happened to Vossy. Used to be the only half decent commentator in the sport now just resorts to engagement farming no matter how stupid it makes him look. If you read through that thread he never replies at all, just throws it out knowing he will get a fuckload of comments.

In quiet moments he must reflect on his career and be seriously embarrassed.
He did reply with "where?" when a guy posted a still shot of the clear shoulder on his head. He has turned into a clown.

I originally thought it might have only been the whiplash and contact with the ground when I kept looking at the behind the ball replay but somebody showed me the front on and in slow motion and you can clearly see his shoulder get him. It wasnt a richochet either where sometimes you hit them in the chest and their head bounces down into the shoulder from the whiplash.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I agree there is some bias.
I'm still angry this happened because its Walsh, and probably wouldn't be this wound up if it was Tedesco.
However.
There is a pattern here, and not just with Walsh, but players like Ponga as well, who are targeted because of their ability (rightfully so) but it is often ending with them concussed and missing from one or more games of footy, AND potentially shortening their careers.
Two games this year Walsh has been taken out of the game with head shots (which the NRL are trying to crack down on) and the start of last season with Ponga was the same.

Newcastle are a far easier side to beat without Ponga, and the Broncos for sure lose a lot of sting in their attack without Walsh.
Now im not saying coaches are telling their players to injure or maim these guys, but they are 100% coaching them to smash them hard in order to shut them down, and its going wrong often enough to be of concern.
I agree. In the Walsh/May incident Reece missed 5 weeks how many did May miss?
In last night's incident The shitstain is looking at 4 weeks with an early plea and Reece is looking at 3 games (if you count last night's), and it's the Broncos who have to wear the cost of player welfare, emotional and mental welfare as well as the burden it puts on the team of having to cover for the loss of their number one attacking option.. The NRL needs to send a clear message that this sort of shit is not worth it.

Les Boyd (NSW) breaks Darryl Browman's (QLD)
Mark Geyer (NSW) elbow to the face of Paul Hauff (QLD)
Brett White (NSW) knocks out Steve Price (QLD) Justin Poore (NSW) then comes over and lifts the unconscious price up by the scruff of the neck and drops him.
Suualii (NSW) tries to relocate Reece Walsh's head (QLD)

There is quite an easy discernible pattern here. Cockroaches think they can do what they like on the field and somehow think they are immune to the consequences. They have never played the game on a fair dinkum basis. They always have to resort to thuggery because they just don't get the idea of bleeding FOR your state.

You can say I'm biased here but look at the times shit has happened and invariably it's the NSW player who is dishing out the dog act. It's in their DNA to cheat.

That try that was taken off us last night as 'knock-on' Cam Smith called it that he caught the ball first so the bunker had no right to adjudicate on it as a knock on. the rest of the commentary team said zilch!

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Ben Hunt 10 v Harry Grant 3. As soon as Hunt came back on we looked much more dangerous with the ball and possibly Grant's worse game for the Maroons.

Carrigan as usual did a mountain of work, I thought Haas played better the longer the game went on so hopefully he's over that leg injury he's been carrying. The Hammer was his usual brilliant self and Cobbo had some damaging runs but also some air swings in defence.

Having Cobbo on the bench proved to be a masterstroke from Billy in whom we trust.
I agree Hunt and Dearden looked more threatening out of dummy half.

I'm guilty of getting a bit fixated on dummy halves and have been noticing Grant's decline for some time. He hasn't been the player he was when he was getting "next big thing" accolades since at least last season. He puts in the odd deft grubber but he's not wreaking the havoc he used to.

I would still rate him above our hookers in terms of having more strings to his bow, but it's a while since he's looked elite.

I'm still picking him for Origin 2, though. QLD doesn't have anyone better.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Amidst all the broohah over young Walshy I forget to make a special mention of Jayden Su'a's performance last night. One of his line breaks led to a try and his overall defence was simply outstanding. It's the best I've seen him play and he has had a few good games this year with the Dragqueens. Perhaps it's another vindication that Billy knew what he was doing when he dropped Fifita.

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
Will Suaalii have the shortest origin career in history... Just 7.5 minutes

He'll miss the second game suspended, so ...
All likelihood he collects his $5M from rugby goes back to uncle Nick in 2028 he still be 25 so will good chance he plays again.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
How is this idiot a commentator!?

I saw that tweet last night... how does he think whiplash from the sternum when his head was snapped backwards??

I swear he's just trolling like all the other media clickbait merchants and his target audience is getting support from Sydney and NSWRL fans

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
That try that was taken off us last night as 'knock-on' Cam Smith called it that he caught the ball first so the bunker had no right to adjudicate on it as a knock on. the rest of the commentary team said zilch!

Honestly, happy with that call, even if they have to bend the rules a little to make it. I'd hate to see tries like that routinely given on a technicality. Also I don't think he even get really had a clean grab and control.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
I watched the game this morning again. Saw a few things that atood out and a few things are different then what I originally thought.

Holmes had some great carries when we needed them. Played better on replay then I thought. Thought he was horrible originally. He still has the bad errors.

S Chricton really helped that edge once he moved over there. Just a great defender. Shut down a number of things. Especially covering Hynes the liability.

Luai was the only spark they had. Hynes and Tedesco were awful. Hynes kicking game was horrible. He had the wheels turning every time he had to make a decision. Alot of the time it ended up with a nothing run himself. Why he ran 128m. Tedesco just gets involved too much. He has fallen off a cliff as a creator.

Leniu was great for his role. He looked pissed when they took him off for that last barnstorming run. He had only just come on in the previous set too from the "HIA". Not sure why they didn't keep him on for the next 10mins atleast. Was one of the only forwards bending the line. Felt like Madge having too many forward options and trying to get mins for all of them. Bad interchange use.

Haumole came on and went mental for 3 tackles in a row and was spent for the rest of his stint. Looked like he was playing in the middle. A nothing selection.

Trbojevic. 29mins. What is the point. Was a token last 4mins too at the end of the game. He had 2 runs in a set in qlds half where he fell to his knees trying to get a quick play the ball and they were rightly called surrender by Klein and QLD got to reset their D line. Offers nothing unless he plays 60.

Yeo is struggling to find his way in origin. I thought he was ok just his ballplaying isnt as effective at this level. Maybe because the synergy isnt there with all the other components of the shape. Still think his leg speed in the middle was good.

Lomax was very good for a debut. Fotuaika and Hopgood really offered something in their mins. Collins and Cotter second stint was excellent. Grant was awful. Just had looked a bit off the last year imo. Workload might be getting to him. Looks fatigued alot. Hunt was great as usual. DCE came up with every big play. Dearden was solid. The timing was off sometimes with that edge especially when Walsh went off. Got better towards the end.

Cobbo was awesome with the ball. He might not want to watch that Liam Martin run though. He looked like the backrower on that play. Sometimes he looks lime he is in cement defensively. Got better as the night went on though.

I thought QLD could have played alot better tbh. Like people have said its hard to take much from the game. The mindset and intensity completely changes when you know its 13 on 12. NSW were.desperate and QLD were just going through the motions and that was always going to be good enough with a man advantage. Cameron Smith I thought nailed it in the post game. They looked like they went into their shell with the ball and Billy will mention that. The errors werent exactly from them trying to create chances. Was just simple drop balls.
Perfect summary.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Paul Crawley has pretty much said that the Suaalii hit on Walsh was not an accident but part of an intentional campaign to bash Walsh.

This is what he said:

"It was obvious from the get-go the Blues had gone out to bash Walsh and this was not an accident, it was a reckless and avoidable tackle and Suaalii and the Blues have paid the price for their obvious intentions."

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Paul Crawley has pretty much said that the Suaalii hit on Walsh was not an accident but part of an intentional campaign to bash Walsh.

This is what he said:

"It was obvious from the get-go the Blues had gone out to bash Walsh and this was not an accident, it was a reckless and avoidable tackle and Suaalii and the Blues have paid the price for their obvious intentions."
Pure nonsense. I think players/coaches would be sued into oblivion if they intentionally went out and did this. It's assault.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Brocko
  • Cavalo
  • teampjta
  • GCBRONCO
  • john1420
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  • phoenix
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dexter
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.