2024 State of Origin - Game II Discussion

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
It's just an incredibly frustrating game to watch these days. You're at the mercy of the ref and how he decides to ref the game on the night. And don't get me started on the bunker. That experiment should have ended years ago. Just can't fathom how they come up with some of their decisions. If I hadn't have been watching the fucking game for the last 45+ years, I would have walked years ago.
It's insane that refs getting caught up in betting scandals hasn't happened yet... their influence is second to none on the footy field and they're not getting paid $1m a year like the players are... the NRL as an administration basically support them with their incompetence swept under the rug, because this is how the NRL want it "closest comp ever"... who knows maybe there are some rings out there making an absolute mint out of the refs and the NRL aren't even aware of it, because look at the ladder right now

Nerd

Nerd

QCup Player
Sep 27, 2020
They'll be ****-a-hoot but I'm curious once things die down how the media will reflect on the performance.

It would have been one of the early 2010s series, where even after the Blues won, it was largely agreed that the refs let way too much go and one of the officials had to fall on their sword.
The fact that Klown has got the first 2 Origin matches is just embarrassing for the game. I have been playing and watching the game since the 70's and I have no idea why Klown is awarding some of the 6 agains he comes up with for either side.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Considering DCE went well out of his way to get it over to Coates on the right wing I'd say they didn't trust our left edge of Taulagi up against Crichton and Lomax.

DCE looked extremely uncomfortable sending it right as well... was a short stabbing kick.

Walsh would need to do the short drop outs in that sense... and his boot was off all night anyway ... kicked two out on the full off kick offs and the second kick of the night was looking like it was heading that way as well.

I was thinking the same as you that it wouldn't matter going deep because Klown would give a third tackle six again and you're no better off... just didn't look like they wanted to go for it though
I don't just don't understand it. Who gives a **** if you kick it out on the full or they bat it back. When Klein is giving a 6 again for breathing on somebody you have to try and get the ball back. If Dearden and Sua didn't **** up that easy tackle Klein would have found a way in the next few tackles for another 6 again. Don't let him get the opportunity. Give away an actual penalty somehow. Do a sly strip. Make them have to think about taking the 2. Letting yourself drown the fuel tank with set after set is moronic

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I need somebody to explain to me why they didn't do a short drop out after those first 4 sets when Klein was riding them bareback. Cherry Evans kicked it 40m down the field and they scored in 3 plays. Looked better defensively on the line. You have Coates on To'o ffs. This isn't the fucking Broncos. Try and get the ball back. Completely changes the momentum if you do.

How did we go with the ones we did kick short? That start completely destroyed any confidence that Qld team had and they were running on fumes from 15mins in.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
6 agains and the bunker just make it impossible to enjoy games.

It's way too often just one team getting reemed and then there's no coming back.

Then you factor in that each ref gives them differently and they can without scrutiny dictate a match with them and how they do and don't give them, it's shit viewing. Not to mention how skewed the stats at the end of the game can look. 2x 6 agains on 4th and 5th tackle are far more valuable than 4x 6 agains on 1st tackle, but that is not shown in the stats.

QLD were blown out of the game within 15/20 mins.

If you offered to rid the game of 6 agains and have a 2nd ref again I'd bite your hand off.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Not much to write home about in the second half, the Blues knew they had the game won so were constantly looking for the big shots and the hero plays. Unsurprisingly, the Maroons received a better whistle and made some effective use of it, but it never felt like they had any momentum.

The Blues just far too good in that first half. Close to the best Origin performance you'll see. Can they reproduce it at Suncorp? How will the Maroons respond?

Also curious to see what the general reaction to Klein is. Obviously die-hard Maroons supporters aren't happy, but will the scoreline and the stats save him?
Save him? He is the best the NRL has. That is why he is getting the top gigs. He is the best at controlling the game. I would welcome another ref, but honestly, they would be much clunkier in their calls. It would either be a free-for-all, or a clearly biased performance. I.e., clearer than tonight's.

Edit: This article even says he is the top NRL ref.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I don't just don't understand it. Who gives a **** if you kick it out on the full or they bat it back. When Klein is giving a 6 again for breathing on somebody you have to try and get the ball back. If Dearden and Sua didn't **** up that easy tackle Klein would have found a way in the next few tackles for another 6 again. Don't let him get the opportunity. Give away an actual penalty somehow. Do a sly strip. Make them have to think about taking the 2. Letting yourself drown the fuel tank with set after set is moronic
Yeah definitely ... the best teams in the comp are the ones that realise they've lost the ruck and just hold down forever, because a six again off a slow ptb is better than conceding a try off a quick ptb, they'll be constantly offside on their goal line, etc.

They know the refs won't send them, because that would "ruin the spectacle"... and even if they did they know they aren't getting penalised with a man down, so they can just double and triple down on the slowing tactics anyway.

Good defence in NRL is basically just being fit as **** and cheating as much as possible, because eventually the ref will just stop giving penalties away.

Look at the titans season... they were absolute shithouse and getting flogged every game... then Dessie went full storm mode and they gave away like 30 penalties and six agains vs Canberra to lose by 1... their for and against has gone from -85 after 6 rounds to +15 in the following 10 rounds

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
How did we go with the ones we did kick short? That start completely destroyed any confidence that Qld team had and they were running on fumes from 15mins in.
What the **** does it matter? We were down 20 before he even went short. What do you have to lose? You were kicking 40m anyway. Its not like they were kicking it 60. That's my point. They were running on fumes because they were tackling for the first 15. Try and get the ball back so you aren't running on fumes. If you hold out there you get a boost and a seed of doubt is in there head. They might have lost anyway but give yourself a chance. Are they that naive that they thought Klein was going to do it straight down the line tonight? If QLD would have lost the first game we would have got that whistle the first 20. You have to try and take it out of his hands and change the momentum.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Save him? He is the best the NRL has. That is why he is getting the top gigs. He is the best at controlling the game. I would welcome another ref, but honestly, they would be much clunkier in their calls. It would either be a free-for-all, or a clearly biased performance. I.e., clearer than tonight's.
I'm not sure if I'd ever describe Klein as controlled.

Controversial, entertaining, kind-hearted, infuriating - sure, but controlled?

Most fans would argue Gee is better.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
The fact that Klown has got the first 2 Origin matches is just embarrassing for the game. I have been playing and watching the game since the 70's and I have no idea why Klown is awarding some of the 6 agains he comes up with for either side.
you aren't supposed to know, the idea is that it just happens, nobody can question it and before you know it, there is some exciting new, shiny event happening to distract people from asking. If it were a penalty, you would see a replay (maybe not anymore, and not for offside), but a 6-again is the best game manipulator the NRL could invent.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012

Controlled as in the desired effect is achieved. Want NSW to win, but the penalty count to look fair and balanced? Klein. Plenty of ball to one team early. Plenty of tackles for the other. Tired legs, blowout scoreline, even penalty count. Control the game, who cares about the biffo? That is just spice.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Yeah definitely ... the best teams in the comp are the ones that realise they've lost the ruck and just hold down forever, because a six again off a slow ptb is better than conceding a try off a quick ptb, they'll be constantly offside on their goal line, etc.

They know the refs won't send them, because that would "ruin the spectacle"... and even if they did they know they aren't getting penalised with a man down, so they can just double and triple down on the slowing tactics anyway.

Good defence in NRL is basically just being fit as **** and cheating as much as possible, because eventually the ref will just stop giving penalties away.

Look at the titans season... they were absolute shithouse and getting flogged every game... then Dessie went full storm mode and they gave away like 30 penalties and six agains vs Canberra to lose by 1... their for and against has gone from -85 after 6 games to +15 in the following 10 games
Exactly. You have to be smarter. Even if it's against the spirit. I didn't even think we gave proper 6 agains. Maybe 1 offside one but you have to know he is going to lean one way. Call it corrupt or human nature. It's how it is. Don't just go up to the line against the rules.... go over the fucking thing and make it even slower. Storm 2008 style. Then once you hold out reset and get into the game. Change the momentum. They just looked like they were happy to go with the flow.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Controlled as in the desired effect is achieved. Want NSW to win, but the penalty count to look fair and balanced? Klein. Plenty of ball to one team early. Plenty of tackles for the other. Tired legs, blowout scoreline, even penalty count. Control the game, who cares about the biffo? That is just spice.
Klein is on the nose which is why he's been dropped in the past.

I wonder if 'monkey' gate cost Gee his spot? He seemed prime for this role, especially coming off the GF.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

I find Klein to actually be incompetent... tonight was an absolute piss take, but there are a lot of things that he just gets completely wrong in his explanations.

I don't think you'd want to pin your hopes on an incompetent ref to get the result that you want, whilst also making it look like a game actually took place... pinning your hopes on Klown to get the result ends up with games like tonight. He murdered any chance of a game breaking out straight away... maybe he saw Qld cut NSW open early on and got shit scared and decided to give NSW a head start, but it was just way too much and it completely killed any chance for a game to happen in the end.

I felt like he got to somewhere near the top because he's pommy or something? so that makes it look like he's impartial... especially from an origin perspective. He was getting a lot of Aus vs NZ games, etc.

Him being the "top ref" but not getting the GF last year was a bit like ... yeah we don't want your total incompetence to come in here and completely **** this game up.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
you aren't supposed to know, the idea is that it just happens, nobody can question it and before you know it, there is some exciting new, shiny event happening to distract people from asking. If it were a penalty, you would see a replay (maybe not anymore, and not for offside), but a 6-again is the best game manipulator the NRL could invent.
Unquestionable

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
This whole referee thing shouldn't be surprising. This is what happens in game 2s for the losing team of game 1s. It's the same with other sports that have series. NBA for example. There is a reason Scott Foster is called the "extender". They lean to the team under the pump in a series. Of course it shouldn't be like that but that's how it is.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • IceWorks
  • Harry Sack
  • westy316
  • kwomo
  • Howie
  • KickHaas
  • Brocko
  • Totally Unr3al
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • pennywisealfie
  • Bronco bob
  • Battler
  • Financeguy
  • mrslong
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • thenry
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • Sproj
... and 75 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.