2024 State of Origin - Game II Discussion

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Without delving into too much analysis, nsw were superb in the first half and we gave them way too much of a head start. Once they went 22-0 up it was out of sight. Don't think anyone covered themselves in glory apart from maybe dce in the 2nd half.

It's probably one of those games you just accept happens from time to time and you move on from it. Sure, plenty of lessons to learn, but don't beat yourself up about it too much. Shit happens. Game 3 will be different at Suncorp and everyone knows it.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Klein is on the nose which is why he's been dropped in the past.

I wonder if 'monkey' gate cost Gee his spot? He seemed prime for this role, especially coming off the GF.
Dropped after he messed up in a match between Melbourne and Roosters. One is financially a huge player in the sport, the other is a huge investment for the NRL. I would not say he is a good ref. I am only saying that he can typically manage the game. Making good, correct calls is a different matter. Furthermore, the NRL benefits from such droppings, because it allows them to make the same argument you are making here. If Klein is being dropped, how the hell is he now reffing the pinacle game?

Volvo Driver

Volvo Driver

QCup Player
Jul 9, 2020
The decider will be a very different contest. The refs will put the whistle away.

This side can still win, but they need to fix their starts and their discipline.

We should have lost by 50 tonight considering how much NSW dominated.
Everything went NSW way in that first half but they took ALL their chances. Those 3 six agains were BS and should be removed from the game, no one fucking knows what they're for.

That break Taulagi made (thanks to Walsh) who then kicked it dead was the end for us. Finally got field position and we end up giving them a 7 tackle set.

Su'a needs to go. Experiment didn't work. Capewell has had a shit year but gets picked??? He's had one ONE! line break all year, and on top of that makes only 55m a game.

Deardan had a shocker but he is our future so got to stick with him, for now. NSW plan was to rush him and it worked bloody well. They also combated our speed out wide by rushing in and stopping the spread. Happened so often. Walsh was rusty but still was dangerous but because we had no possession in that first half he couldn't do much.

Tough watch overall. We cannot let them come out of the blocks hard like tonight. We just can't.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Without delving into too much analysis, nsw were superb in the first half and we gave them way too much of a head start. Once they went 22-0 up it was out of sight. Don't think anyone covered themselves in glory apart from maybe dce in the 2nd half.

It's probably one of those games you just accept happens from time to time and you move on from it. Sure, plenty of lessons to learn, but don't beat yourself up about it too much. Shit happens. Game 3 will be different at Suncorp and everyone knows it.

Even before they scored any points, I knew Qld were in trouble.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
It's insane that refs getting caught up in betting scandals hasn't happened yet... their influence is second to none on the footy field and they're not getting paid $1m a year like the players are... the NRL as an administration basically support them with their incompetence swept under the rug, because this is how the NRL want it "closest comp ever"... who knows maybe there are some rings out there making an absolute mint out of the refs and the NRL aren't even aware of it, because look at the ladder right now

The money getting made is via legit gambling organisations... who then pay the NRL a % of the takings. This has 100% been Vlandys' main priority since getting the gig, his history was in horse racing which only exists as an avenue of gambling (would anyone watch it if you couldn't bet on it?).

The refs aren't going rogue, or acting in isolation in order to affect these games for their own shadowy purposes. It is very clear that they are just puppets acting on a directive that they are given. The refs that best follow those directives are given the higher profile gigs, that's their motivation. We've known for years how they do it whilst magically making the stat sheets look innocuous after 80 minutes, it's become an artform - watching everyone pre-empt the square-up, the early tackle (read: useless) 6-agains, and the 2-3 tries that inevitably came in the second half just shows that most on here are on to it.

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
Sure there was some bad ref decisions but anyway that decided the game. Be interesting to see if Billy swings the axe.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
I am NEVER going to another important match again.

Tonights game I was there. jinx.

Last years grand final I was there. Jinx
Was going to say that you are worse than Ashley Klein, but he was also there on both occasions!

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I am NEVER going to another important match again.

Tonights game I was there. jinx.

Last years grand final I was there. Jinx
Petition to ban Kaz from all Broncos games moving forward... setup a go fund me to buy you an IMAX wing for the house so you can invite 30k people over and 'feel' like you're at the game instead of actually going to the game

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
Reading these comments 90% is blaming the ref which is legit very sad. NSW ran all over us Martin Critchon Haas Leinu, Mitchell monsterd Walsh snr Holmes. Anyway we will win decider so not big deal in bigger picture.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I find Klein to actually be incompetent... tonight was an absolute piss take, but there are a lot of things that he just gets completely wrong in his explanations.

I don't think you'd want to pin your hopes on an incompetent ref to get the result that you want, whilst also making it look like a game actually took place... pinning your hopes on Klown to get the result ends up with games like tonight. He murdered any chance of a game breaking out straight away... maybe he saw Qld cut NSW open early on and got shit scared and decided to give NSW a head start, but it was just way too much and it completely killed any chance for a game to happen in the end.

I felt like he got to somewhere near the top because he's pommy or something? so that makes it look like he's impartial... especially from an origin perspective. He was getting a lot of Aus vs NZ games, etc.

Him being the "top ref" but not getting the GF last year was a bit like ... yeah we don't want your total incompetence to come in here and completely **** this game up.
Klein is an Aussie that got his start over in England. You're probably right though, as that experience gave him a leg up in adjudicating rep fixtures ahead of his time.

We share the same perception of him. He comes across like a reasonable bloke, but he dances to the beat of his own drummer and lacks common sense.

Remember the Kyle Feldt vs. Wests Tigers fiasco? Guess who made that call...

Perfect example of an Ashley Klein call: Liam Martin spear tackle on Cotter - penalty on report. Latrell leaves his feet and collects Xavier Coates high - penalty on report. Liam Martin rubs Su'A on the head - sin bin. Yes there was more context to it, but it's a dumb look and should have happened much earlier than it did.

It's not like Klein is running unopposed, they have Gee there who they can easily parachute in and they seemed eager to until something happened.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Reading these comments 90% is blaming the ref which is legit very sad. NSW ran all over us Martin Critchon Haas Leinu, Mitchell monsterd Walsh snr Holmes. Anyway we will win decider so not big deal in bigger picture.
I think we are all comfortable in admitting that they won the middle early. However, IMO there was a definite difference in the speed of the PTB and defense between the two early. NSW were very much able to control the ruck speed in defense, whereas QLD were being told to stand almost immediately. Markers for QLD were being called out and the early 6-agains called against QLD forced them to have multiple defensive sets that drained them entirely. That was very early in the game, and set the tone for the rest of the first half. Following that tiring period there was no real hope for QLD in the first half, which is really where the damage was done. The second half was better, but QLD were fighting an uphill battle and were slim chance.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Klein is an Aussie that got his start over in England. You're probably right though, as that experience gave him a leg up in adjudicating rep fixtures ahead of his time.

We share the same perception of him. He comes across like a reasonable bloke, but he dances to the beat of his own drummer and lacks common sense.

Remember the Kyle Feldt vs. Wests Tigers fiasco? Guess who made that call...

Perfect example of an Ashley Klein call: Liam Martin spear tackle on Cotter - penalty on report. Latrell leaves his feet and collects Xavier Coates - penalty on report. Liam Martin rubs Su'A on the head - sin bin. Yes there was more context to it, but it's a dumb look and should have happened much earlier than it did.

It's not like Klein is running unopposed, they have Gee there who they can easily parachute in and they seemed eager to until something happened.
Gee goes on the field and Klein injects himself from the Bunker. I have seen that somewhere before...

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Trell, Martin and Val all with fines only if they go early guilty plea for their respective on reports.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
imo this is the game we should question why 5 players are from a cowboys team.

that said It is not too disimilar to how we have treated being one up in the past.

But players like Cobbo have to be in the 13 going forward, I also feel like we need more size in the middle.

I think Jensen should be in the squad game 3 he has earned it.

Active Now

• Viti
  • bazza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • BruiserMk1
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fatboy
  • Skyblues87
  • Waynesaurus
  • bert_lifts
  • Galah
  • Battler
  • mieko
  • johnny plath
  • Allo
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosMan
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 53 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.