POST GAME 2024 World Club Challenge - Wigan v Panthers

Penrith are falling victim to the salary cap.

I thought last year they'd find it very difficult to replace Api Koroisau and they did, at times their attack looked pedestrian but they were able to get moments of brilliance out of players like Stephen Crichton. I don't even think Luai is that big of a loss for them moving into next season, if you got Ivan Cleary in a room with no cameras or microphones involved, I reckon he would tell you that they let the wrong player go in Matt Burton. That's a sore point for their fans. I think they know it too but would rather not think about it.

Be interesting to see how they go this year, their pack will dominate a lot of teams and it won't matter at the end of the day, they'll just grind their opposition into submission with Cleary's accurate kicking game but if you get on top of their forwards which we have proven we are capable of doing, they're a very beatable team having lost a few key players which take away the unpredictability of how they score a try.

Peak Penrith had Api at hooker, Cleary running the show with his kicking/running game, then you had Luai laying it off for Viliame Kikau. They will go down as one of the great NRL teams. The salary cap has well and truly torn them apart though, they'll still be a good team with their pack and Nathan Cleary organizing them around the park but nowhere near as dominant as they were.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT PANTHERS!!

GO WIGAN

That game was comical. I will complain about some of the refereeing over here but it is 10 times better across the board than there.

Penrith dominated from start to finish and it was refereed like their was an instruction to keep Wigan in the game once they got guys to the ground. So bad. Not even mentioning the tries they scored. 2 of them being horrible calls.

Wigan scrambled and were tough but cmon that was a farce. Penrith didnt look much different to me. Solid start to the year. Dominated defensively out of yardage and their back 5 were great again. May looks bigger and stronger than last time I saw him. The young 5/8th was solid. Im sure he will be better by the time Luai leaves. Clearly they had a strategy to run the ball and not kick into those micro in goals. One issue I think they will have is punch off the bench. Surely they have a better young guy than that plodder Lindsey Smith. He nearly cost them the GF last year and he offers nothing.

I dont think they can win 4 straight right? But they will put up a strong showing. Im not doubting them anymore. I will have to see them get beaten in a final before I call them 2024 frauds.
Call it now: Penrith won't make the top 4 in 2024.

Penrith will still make the top 4.

They are a well coached team and make no mistake they will adapt to their losses just like they did with Api and Kikau.

Penrith are falling victim to the salary cap.

I thought last year they'd find it very difficult to replace Api Koroisau and they did, at times their attack looked pedestrian but they were able to get moments of brilliance out of players like Stephen Crichton. I don't even think Luai is that big of a loss for them moving into next season, if you got Ivan Cleary in a room with no cameras or microphones involved, I reckon he would tell you that they let the wrong player go in Matt Burton. That's a sore point for their fans. I think they know it too but would rather not think about it.

Be interesting to see how they go this year, their pack will dominate a lot of teams and it won't matter at the end of the day, they'll just grind their opposition into submission with Cleary's accurate kicking game but if you get on top of their forwards which we have proven we are capable of doing, they're a very beatable team having lost a few key players which take away the unpredictability of how they score a try.

Peak Penrith had Api at hooker, Cleary running the show with his kicking/running game, then you had Luai laying it off for Viliame Kikau. They will go down as one of the great NRL teams. The salary cap has well and truly torn them apart though, they'll still be a good team with their pack and Nathan Cleary organizing them around the park but nowhere near as dominant as they were.
Their starting fwds are obviously extremely good, but their depth is absolutely shocking. If yeo or jfh slows down with age or are injured then they will slide right down the ladder imo.

They have been blessed with a lack of long term injuries over their run.

Penrith are still easily top two if not still number one.

The reality is, the only other team who could match them last year has also been affected significantly by the salary cap - us. Like them, we are relying on the kids coming through to be ready and hopefully, ours are a bit more ready than theirs and I am quietly confident that they are. Honestly, Penrith's centres look like a real weakness area as does their bench, which you have not been able to see for the last four years. They also have Luai as a handbrake at 6 against the better sides still.

Of course the salary cap should also have affected the Roosters but you know, they suddenly had an issue that disappeared and allowed them to still sign Young and Leniu despite that.

But back to the game, I honestly feel sorry for Penrith and I never thought I would say that. I just can't help but feel annoyed for them because these WCC games don't come around all that often to be just totally stitched up and still have the professionalism to shake hands at the end and be gracious in defeat, it says a lot about them as a side.

Even so, imagine that was us there (as it should have been if not for 15 mins of the GF), that would be heart breaking. Penrith were the better side and had TWO completely dodgy tries, not controversial, completely wrong, lose them the game.

Their starting fwds are obviously extremely good, but their depth is absolutely shocking. If yeo or jfh slows down with age or are injured then they will slide right down the ladder imo.

They have been blessed with a lack of long term injuries over their run.
Yeah their golden run of injuries has really helped them.

The biggest losses have been to role players (May, etc.), but Cleary plays 80% of the year and wins pretty much every game he's in so they seem to just coast along to a top 4 spot every year.

Yeo, JFH, Leota, To'o, Edwards and Crichton have seemingly played every game available for the last 3yrs or so... unless Ivan is so far ahead he looks to rest them.

Call it now: Penrith won't make the top 4 in 2024.
Ds3YB0.gif

Penrith will still make the top 4.

They are a well coached team and make no mistake they will adapt to their losses just like they did with Api and Kikau.
Nope. Their time is over.

I'll be back here in Sep to tell you all "I told you so".

I've never been wrong about a prediction before.

Television replays appeared to show Wardle was stopped before the line by To’o and Penrith fullback Dylan Edwards, but referee Liam Moore advised the video official he thought it was a try on the field. The decision stood after closer inspection from the eye in the sky.

Asked about his thoughts on the call, To’o said: “You can’t change much. The result is made, but he already knows he didn’t get it over the line. I’m sure the ref knows as well. Lying is a sin, as well.

Lies Liar GIF

Let's just hope any time To'o celebrates an eventual no try, he gets a liar liar pants on fire chant.

It will be amazing to see the panthers decline and Us Taking over the panthers

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • Organix
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • westy316
  • Bronx48
  • Dash
  • BroncosMan
  • Volvo Driver
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • Footy Fanatic
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.