Fullback
Cobbo, Walsh, Arthars,

Centre
Staggs, Mariner, Arthars, Cobbo, Hoeter

Wing
Cobbo, Arthars, Leota, Hoeter

ETHNO MAP

QLD
Ben Te Kura, Billy Walters, Blake Mozer, Brendan Piakura, Coby Black, Corey Jensen, Corey Oates, Cory Paix, Delouise Hoeter, Ezra Mam, Israel Leota, Jack Gosiewski, Jaiyden Hunt, Josh Rogers, Kobe Hetherington, Patrick Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Tyson Smoothy

NZ
Deine Mariner, Brendan Piakura, Jesse Arthars, Jordan Riki, Xavier Willison, Marty Taupau

NSW
Adam Reynolds, Fletcher Baker, Jock Madden, Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas

Indigenous
Ezra Mam, Jordan Riki, Kotoni Staggs, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo

Tonga
Kotoni Staggs, Delouise Hoeter,

Samoa
Jesse Arthars, Payne Haas, Marty Taupau

Cook Islands
Brendan Piakura, Xavier Willison

More than likely, though doesn't mention a upgrade just a extension of his current contract but as you stated above after 23 there would be a upgrade there i'd say 450-500k probably around what Capewell was on.
He's probably one of the guys who would take unders.

Except this year it would have been overs based on his performances.

So that's 27 players under contract for 2025. With rumours that Baker, Hetherington and Paix are on the outer, the Broncos would have still fulfilled their obligation to announce a 24 man squad by November 1st. With Black and Semu confirmed on development deals, I presume Trew is sticking around and Bukowski would be in the mix with Allen, Armstrong, Innes, Bryce, Vunipola etc. there-abouts.

I think it's that time again to play everybody's favourite game: the Price is Right.

Brisbane Broncos 2025 edition

Let's round it up to the closest 100

Jesse Arthars - 400K
Fletcher Baker - 400K
Patrick Carrigan - 900K
Selwyn Cobbo - 600K
Jack Gosiewski - 100K
Payne Haas - 1.1 Million
Kobe Hetherington - 400K
Delouise Hoeter - 100K
Jaiyden Hunt - 100K
Corey Jensen - 400K
Israel Leota - 100K
Jock Madden - 300K
Ezra Mam - 800K
Deine Mariner - 400K
Blake Mozer - 300K
Cory Paix - 300K
Brendan Piakura - 600K
Adam Reynolds - 700K
Jordan Riki - 600K
Tyson Smoothy - 300K
Kotoni Staggs - 800K
Martin Taupau - 200K
Ben Te Kura - 400K
Reece Walsh - 500K
Billy Walters - 400K
Xavier Willison - 400K

11.6, so unfortunately for me, that's over the cap and can't be the case. That's even before adjusting to the minimum which is $130K.

I'm clearly off on a few of these, are there any projections there that are clearly off?
Think I read Reynolds back down to 400k next season

Cory Paix - 300K
Brendan Piakura - 600K
That hurts. If only they could swap that for Bukowski on minimum and have 750k for another backrower. Can't remember any starting backrowers in NRL history that have been a defensive liability the way Piakura was this season.

Reality is one of the big names are going to have to go, quite possibly 2.

It has to be Haas. we could sign a metre eater prop and a hard nut with the money he's on.

I guess it's a toss up between Staggs and Cobbo for the other.

It has to be Haas. we could sign a metre eater prop and a hard nut with the money he's on.

Will those two have average metres per game equal ?
Will they have the same error rate ? How about tackle efficiency ?

He is very far ahead of most of his contemporarys in a lot of stats .

also you are replacing one player with 2 . How do you fit them into the team / game time ?

Realistically you're right about losing big names, I don't know if I'd be getting rid of Haas or Staggs though. We have a balance issue though imo.

I wouldn't call any of our current prop rotation enforcers for example. It doesn't mean they are bad players individually, it just means the squad is unbalanced. Haas has always reminded me more of Civoniceva, which is why having a TPJ or RCG alongside him does make sense.

I just wrote up a whole squad outlook and by the end of it I decided not to share it with you as we don’t all need to be on suicide watch. Next year is gonna be fucking grim. I hate myself for picking this club. We are fucked.
Obviously to an extent I’m joking but Jesus this club has found a way to seriously **** up the position we were in 12 months. A lot of wholes in our starting side that there is no talent on the market to fix and there is a whole lot of depth that aren’t remotely useful on shit contracts with yet again not a whole lot of depth or roster spots left to fix the pickle.

I just wrote up a whole squad outlook and by the end of it I decided not to share it with you as we don’t all need to be on suicide watch. Next year is gonna be fucking grim. I hate myself for picking this club. We are fucked.
You should post it but yes I agree, we have one third of the roster tied up in spine players and most of them are completely bog average. It looks like a mess and not the position from which you could expect a big turnaround next season.

Departures: Sailor, Oates & Pereira... potential departures Hetherington, Karapani (unsigned) and Baker
Incoming to Top 30: Israel Leota (2025), Coby Black (2026), Josh Rogers (2026)

Depth chart heading into 2025 below

Weaknesses:
- Fullback depth is reliant on existing starters i.e. no one outside the 17 that can come in for the position
- Outside back depth non-existent
- Second row starters and depth
- Lock depth ... we only have one ball playing forward

StartersBackupDepth
FullbackReece WalshSelwyn CobboJesse Arthars
WingersJesse ArtharsSelwyn CobboDelouise HoeterJosiah Karapani*Israel Leota
CentresKotoni StaggsDeine MarinerDelouise HoeterJosiah Karapani*
Five EigthEzra MamJosh RogersCoby Black
HalfbackAdam ReynoldsJock MaddenCoby Black
HookerBilly WaltersBlake MozerTyson Smoothy
PropPayne HaasCorey JensenXavier WillisonKobe Hetherington*Martin TaupauBen Te KuraFletcher Baker
Second RowJordan RikiBrendan PiakuraJack GosiewskiJaiyden Hunt
LockPatrick CarriganKobe Hetherington*None
UtilityBlake MozerTyson SmoothyCory Paix

Development players:
- Bailey Trew (I'm guessing??)
- Va'a Semu
- Antonio Verhoeven
- Cameron Bukowski

Its pretty crazy how much weaker the side is looking on paper compared to 2023. I'm expecting a better season than 2024 but its hard to see them being genuine contenders unless there are some more seriously good signings on the way.

Its pretty crazy how much weaker the side is looking on paper compared to 2023. I'm expecting a better season than 2024 but its hard to see them being genuine contenders unless there are some more seriously good signings on the way.
Depth chart for 2023 for comparison
- The year actually started with Jesse as the outside back depth, but behind him was still Mariner
- Prop depth was pretty insane
- Sailor was very solid fullback depth, but beyond him it was still dependent on other starters. Sailor wasn't an issue last year though so we never had to worry about it
- Capewell provided versatility being a starter at second row, but would provide depth at lock and centre if needed
- Palasia was covering prop, whilst being depth for second row and lock
- Depth was just generally better due to versatility of players... at the moment we have a lot of players that can basically only play the one position

StartersBackupDepth
FullbackReece WalshTristan SailorSelwyn CobboJesse ArtharsHerbie Farnworth
WingersSelwyn CobboJesse ArtharsCorey OatesDeine MarinerJordan PereiraDelouise Hoeter
CentresKotoni StaggsHerbie FarnworthDeine MarinerDelouise HoeterJesse ArtharsKurt Capewell
Five EigthEzra MamJock MaddenJosh Rogers
HalfbackAdam ReynoldsJock MaddenJosh Rogers
HookerBilly WaltersTyson SmoothyCory Paix
PropPayne HaasTom FleglerKobe HetheringtonKeenan Palasia
Corey Jensen
Xavier WillisonMartin TaupauBen Te Kura
Second RowKurt CapewellJordan RikiBrendan PiakuraKeenan Palasia
LockPatrick CarriganKobe HetheringtonKeenan PalasiaKurt Capewell
UtilityTyson SmoothyCory PaixBlake Mozer

That hurts. If only they could swap that for Bukowski on minimum and have 750k for another backrower. Can't remember any starting backrowers in NRL history that have been a defensive liability the way Piakura was this season.
Because no other team would be stupid enough to keep starting them while having literally zero backup plan

Can we do a crowdfunder or something to "encourage" some of the deadweight still signed to ask for a release.

In my opinion, you let Cobbo walk and never look back. Not worth the money. He’ll be one of those players that slayed shows just enough to make you think he will turn a corner but never does.

Save yourself the frustration and wasted cash, and let him go.

A few things I'd like to see in 2025

- Mozer has to start the season, otherwise we're all going to be grumpy.

- Would love a player outside of the current top 30 to earn their spot on the wing. Remember how Bennett would often pick a bolter in Round 1? Whether it was Steve Irwin, Leon Bott, Darius Boyd, Joel Moon, Reece Robinson etc. Or even post-Bennett with Winterstein - I'd love to see somebody like Trew, Innes or some affiliate signing just take that spot.

- Mariner nails down the right centre position and takes his game to the next level. Deine is one of my favourite players to watch in space but really struggles with the physical side of the game. Would love to see him become more well-rounded - I think Kev did him a disservice this year and he badly needed a stint to recover/work on his game in QCup.

- On the flip-side, can Kotoni be an option in the backrow? The Broncos can't turn to Bryce or Armstrong and Gosiewski is purely a back-up if we're being fair dinkum so options are limited. Kotoni came through NYC as a backrow, I don't think it's out of the question and at 27 it might be the play.

- Coby Black to earn a selection. I hope the Broncos go out of their way to assist his development and put him with an experienced halfback that could help him out in QCup. Would love to see him come into the Origin period after some strong QCup form and become an option.

A few things I'd like to see in 2025

- Mozer has to start the season, otherwise we're all going to be grumpy.

- Would love a player outside of the current top 30 to earn their spot on the wing. Remember how Bennett would often pick a bolter in Round 1? Whether it was Steve Irwin, Leon Bott, Darius Boyd, Joel Moon, Reece Robinson etc. Or even post-Bennett with Winterstein - I'd love to see somebody like Trew, Innes or some affiliate signing just take that spot.

- Mariner nails down the right centre position and takes his game to the next level. Deine is one of my favourite players to watch in space but really struggles with the physical side of the game. Would love to see him become more well-rounded - I think Kev did him a disservice this year and he badly needed a stint to recover/work on his game in QCup.

- On the flip-side, can Kotoni be an option in the backrow? The Broncos can't turn to Bryce or Armstrong and Gosiewski is purely a back-up if we're being fair dinkum so options are limited. Kotoni came through NYC as a backrow, I don't think it's out of the question and at 27 it might be the play.

- Coby Black to earn a selection. I hope the Broncos go out of their way to assist his development and put him with an experienced halfback that could help him out in QCup. Would love to see him come into the Origin period after some strong QCup form and become an option.
I agree with everything there.

Mozer has to start. Not even to appease us he is just the best option by far now. I’m definitely no Billy hater, I still think he should be on the bench and his ability to cover halves does mean we aren’t shitting ourselves every game in that department injury wise.

Innes has a lot of go about him but I think Jesse would only lose that spot to someone with a bigger frame like Trew. Innes is electric though so I wouldn’t rule it out but I think a couple q-cup games and a good pre-season won’t quite be enough.

I was watching the Storm game and Deine looked very threatening and very confident when he was at right centre. I’d almost consider putting Kotoni on the left just to try something a bit new. He looked the goods and looked confident Deine. If he can pack more punch and get some more metres in attack as well as fix defence he will be a very good centre.

Look second row is a tough one but I’d really drill into these 2 that if they don’t succeed they will be playing reserve grade or getting forced out. I am more confident Riki can figure it out again over Piakura. Piakura is a lazy, unfit, overpaid bum in my books. Has the potential but has never shown that he has lived up to it.

I hope Black plays Halfback in cup and is paired with an experienced 5/8 but nonetheless I very much agree with that sentiment. I think he gets a debut next year if his defence is up to scratch. He has an excellent long kicking game so as long as his defence is up to scratch he will always be decent at NRL level.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Waynesaurus
  • scobie
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Xarr
  • Shane Tronc
  • LittleDavey
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.