22/23 Off season - what must be done?

Not much will happen next year. I mean, its the same script every year...

Will win a few games and fans will start overhyping youngsters comparing them to former legends of the game.

Will be get pumped by storm, lose all confidence and go on a skid

Not much will happen next year. I mean, its the same script every year...

Will win a few games and fans will start overhyping youngsters comparing them to former legends of the game.

Will be get pumped by storm, lose all confidence and go on a skid

if KW follows the same pattern as both his previous seasons, we'll win 19 games next year.

in his first season he won 7 games which was a 133% increase on the previous year (under Seibold)
in his second season he won 13 games which is an 85% increase on his first season

so lets just say in his 3rd season he continues this trend which would mean a 48% increase on his second season that would mean 19 wins (that's actually a 46% increase on this year) ... if we go by this years ladder, 19 wins puts us in second place (1 win behind the Panthers)

if KW follows the same pattern as both his previous seasons, we'll win 19 games next year.

in his first season he won 7 games which was a 133% increase on the previous year (under Seibold)
in his second season he won 13 games which is an 85% increase on his first season

so lets just say in his 3rd season he continues this trend which would mean a 48% increase on his second season that would mean 19 wins (that's actually a 46% increase on this year) ... if we go by this years ladder, 19 wins puts us in second place (1 win behind the Panthers)
That’s not accounting for coach and playing group ceilings. Oh

pure maths based on the team/coach's recent history
Kev needs to find defensive grit. Wether it’s through signings, different defensive philosophies, coaching staff or changing the focus of pre season and training.

But that’s all that’s really missing. Find defensive grit and it’s a top 4 team.

Walsh and Madden aren’t going to do it, neither is Brier but it’s gonna have to come from somewhere

Kev needs to find defensive grit. Wether it’s through signings, different defensive philosophies, coaching staff or changing the focus of pre season and training.

But that’s all that’s really missing. Find defensive grit and it’s a top 4 team.

Walsh and Madden aren’t going to do it, neither is Brier but it’s gonna have to come from somewhere

it will be interesting who they get to replace Terry. hopefully a defensive minded coach, like you said.

although from about round 5 to just after Origin they were going well defensively. i wonder if the change in their defence came from being over confident from the good representation numbers or because they are a relatively young squad that was busted with injuries and mentally (and physically) they just couldn't handle the grind of the NRL any longer

it will be interesting who they get to replace Terry. hopefully a defensive minded coach, like you said.

although from about round 5 to just after Origin they were going well defensively. i wonder if the change in their defence came from being over confident from the good representation numbers or because they are a relatively young squad that was busted with injuries and mentally (and physically) they just couldn't handle the grind of the NRL any longer
I said as much at the time but I didn’t rate our defence even when we were winning. The way we scrambled and held our composure in the try line was impressive and showed a much improved attitude but we generally had no line speed and had very little control over the ruck which saw team roll up the field. The effort over structure got exposed by the better teams and effort only gets you so far without structures and technique.

I’m excited about potentially having someone else coach our defence but with Cartwright so far not moving I’m not entirely convinced.

Not exactly a good thing it takes him 3 years to get that 19 wins.

Well it isn’t rocket science man. The previous regime left Kevvie a poisoned chalice:
- A completely screwed up salary cap that we are still feeling some effects of (this is also conveniently forgotten by those that bag out having Billy Walters)
- Kevvie was doing everything until Donuts and Ikin arrived
- Kevvie inherited a completely unbalanced squad with too much youth and too much of a bad attitude
- Kevvie inherited literally the official worst team in the comp who simply didn’t know how to win and worse still, didn’t even know how to catch and tackle
- Kevvie inherited a lazy team with some real spuds on big money such as Milford and he wasn’t the only one
- Kevvie was not supported at all from the back office until Donuts came in
- Kevvie has had to deal with a number of destabilising influences such as Haas, Isaako, Lodge and TPJ plus the fallout of the awful decision of Bennett to sign Bird and lock up ridiculous money in him

There are others but the fact Kevvie has the team on the cusp of the 8 (and in most seasons the record this year would be comfortably in) is impressive when all these things are considered.

Were you expecting us to be a top two team this year despite all the above challenges? If so, I dare say you were in the minority comfortably there.

Just got done selling an ipad to Tallis at my work. He was a bit grumpy cause he was occupied herding his young son around and swears like a sailor pretty casually lol but it was classic raging bull

The club needs to find a hooker desperately.

Then the last piece of the puzzle is to find a genuine superstar. Walsh, Cobbo, Mamm don't care, they need to be a spine player and a darling of the NRL. That's the only way you can compete in todays premiership. You need a genuine young marquee who they can all love so you will get the calls needed to win the important games. Reynolds is great but isn't a media darling they can all jizz about and doesn't do the flash plays. We need a mega star in this team to take it to the next level.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.