5 New Immortals Named - Not Darren Lockyer

They won't go past Dally Messanger for the first vote and I reckon the NSW pack will want Provan as their second pick. Mind you Slater is still an outside chance in my book.

If you look at the immortals NSW players to dominate. This was fair enough when rlw ran it as it was primarily a NSW publication.
Now that it is supposed to be in nrl hands, surely there must be an importus to correct it.
Mal would surely be one. He has had large impact on rugby league as a player and coach. Whilst I would like us to recognise the history of the game in this state, that will never happen as long as the mentality that decided media personalities (johns) should take precedence over the greats of the past.
On that note with the limitations in the minds of the selectors, Lockyer could be half a chance.
Don't get me wrong, I respect both Lockyer and mal's contributions but it depends on how you define what makes an immortal, as to whether they are worthy.
Lockyer dominated after johns but was outshone when they played together (understandable considering one was in his prime and other new to the scene), whilst Mal was in the shadow of Lewis as a player and was probably pipped at times by miles and Chris close as a centre.
They both had indelible marks on the game though, but is it enough?
If you also take into account their presence outside the role of players, it becomes less clear. They led as captains in ways that were a credit to them and positively lifted the game's profile. They continued to do so long after their careers. If this is taken into account they would be certainties but who gets it this time? After johns its anyone's guess.

It's a sad indictment of how our game is being run when there is no fanfare leading into this week, a number of the judging panel have been uncermoniously dumped without being notified and as far as I know there is no gala dinner with the media in attendence to announce the recipients. Very poorly handled the whole affair. I'd much prefer to see it launched in the run up to the GF with fans being able to vote in the first round of candidates and as the weeks progress to towards the GF the shortlist gets wittled down right up until the final week of the finals and the winners being announced (and if still alive) paraded before the GF kicks off.

It's a sad indictment of how our game is being run when there is no fanfare leading into this week, a number of the judging panel have been uncermoniously dumped without being notified and as far as I know there is no gala dinner with the media in attendence to announce the recipients. Very poorly handled the whole affair. I'd much prefer to see it launched in the run up to the GF with fans being able to vote in the first round of candidates and as the weeks progress to towards the GF the shortlist gets wittled down right up until the final week of the finals and the winners being announced (and if still alive) paraded before the GF kicks off.

The NRL are in control. Did you really expect the useless pricks to do past players justice when they are flat out trying to run the game with current players.

The NRL are in control. Did you really expect the useless pricks to do past players justice when they are flat out trying to run the game with current players.
I don't really expect anything from them (NRL), but I know for a fact that Sydney journos read this website and the game is still the fans so when we make remarks on here it alows our thoughts and ideas to prick the conscience of the ones who are supposed to be keeping the clowns at the NRL honest by holding them accountable. I know most journos nowadays show a level of obsequience that is plainly embarrassing, but there are still a few out there that try to make a difference.

I don't really expect anything from them (NRL), but I know for a fact that Sydney journos read this website and the game is still the fans so when we make remarks on here it alows our thoughts and ideas to prick the conscience of the ones who are supposed to be keeping the clowns at the NRL honest by holding them accountable. I know most journos nowadays show a level of obsequience that is plainly embarrassing, but there are still a few out there that try to make a difference.

If that were true, most of the pro-Qld, anti-NSW things we say are likely written off as the mad ramblings of two-headed Queenslanders.

If you look at the immortals NSW players to dominate. This was fair enough when rlw ran it as it was primarily a NSW publication.
Now that it is supposed to be in nrl hands, surely there must be an importus to correct it.
Mal would surely be one. He has had large impact on rugby league as a player and coach. Whilst I would like us to recognise the history of the game in this state, that will never happen as long as the mentality that decided media personalities (johns) should take precedence over the greats of the past.
On that note with the limitations in the minds of the selectors, Lockyer could be half a chance.
Don't get me wrong, I respect both Lockyer and mal's contributions but it depends on how you define what makes an immortal, as to whether they are worthy.
Lockyer dominated after johns but was outshone when they played together (understandable considering one was in his prime and other new to the scene), whilst Mal was in the shadow of Lewis as a player and was probably pipped at times by miles and Chris close as a centre.
They both had indelible marks on the game though, but is it enough?
If you also take into account their presence outside the role of players, it becomes less clear. They led as captains in ways that were a credit to them and positively lifted the game's profile. They continued to do so long after their careers. If this is taken into account they would be certainties but who gets it this time? After johns its anyone's guess.
When they vote on an immortal, anything off field is not considered at all. they vote only on playing ability on the field nothing done off-field matters, cause they dont use that in the criteria to vote, winning 8 origins and all that mal did doesnt matter the only thing that matters is his playing ability on the field. And when that is taking into account with the other players he up against i dont think he measures up. Compared against lockyer... there is no comparison in terms of playing ability, stats dont even matter everyone keeps talking about stats and they did this on-field and off.

PLaying ability wise Lockyer is ahead of meninga, Lockyer should get it not mal. mal was great but he isnt an immortal, gene miles was better than meninga on the field.

The 2 who should get it is, Lockyer & messenger or Lockyer & Provin in terms of playing ability hes ahead of the rest and if he doesnt get it, then this is the same as a political election... the fact todd greenburg is on the judging panel is very concerning.

I'd say Norm Provan and Dally M should be shoe in this time around. Dally M because Dally M, and Provan because he's still alive and won't probably see the next inductions. Meniga and Lockyer have time on their side.

I couldn't give two shits about the concept anymore. The moment Johns got inducted, the credibility of the whole thing collapsed like the 2018 Cowboys.

I'm a big fan of Nable. He adds something different to the team and he will only get better in time. Nothing wrong with Blocker either, he has genuine passion for the game.
Nable is a pain in the neck, he gets way too excited

In response to the title of the thread...

I will not be shocked, nor will I really care!

There is a Hall of Fame gala dinner at the SCG tomorrow night and it will be broadcast on Fox League at 8pm.

Last edited:
It'll be _ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited:

Active Now

• theshed
  • Sproj
  • broncotville
  • NSW stables
  • Shane Tronc
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Midean
  • barker
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.