A look toward the future...

It's just a number.

Besides, Milford came up through the juniors as a halfback. Also, his skill-set seems to suggest he'd be effective at first receiver, provided he keeps improving over the years.

I think that since Oates and probably Feldt will be in there this year, plus Gagai still being young enough and Napa + Milf in next year, I actually think the succession planning is actually already starting to come together.

In the next two-three years, we will lose JT, Slater, Scott, Parker, Cronk, Smith, Thaiday, Lillyman, Myles but there are still young enough pieces around that.

So, in the future, we will need:

1. Boyd (Munster is next in line)
2. Oates
3. Inglis/Chambers
4. Chambers/Morgan
5. Feldt/Homes
8. McGuire
11. Guerra
12. Gillett
13. Papalii

14. Morgan/Hunt/??

So that's what we are looking at, fast forward two to three seasons, we will have these available in the forwards:

Sims, Napa, Joffa, Arrow, Su'a, Ese'ese (these two maybe), Grevsmuhl, Wallace, Lowe

That's a fair list of ready now and future potential in there.

The halves:

Milf, Morgan, Hunt, Taylor, Elgey, Norman, Mbye

That is a phenomenal list, such a strength of the future.

Hookers:

Segeyaro, Friend, Macca, Granville, Parcell

While no one currently stands out, that list would be the envy of NSW.

Backs:

Oates, Feldt, Morgan (by necessity), H Hunt, Seve, Munster, Moga, Barba

This is clearly the concern of the Maroons moving forward, it is super shallow but at least the main guys aside from GI are all under 30. If we get injuries to the main guys though, we are in all sorts moving forward.

1. Slater/Boyd
2. Boyd/Oates
3. Inglis
4. Munster?
5. Oates/Holmes
6. Milf
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. McGuire
11. Guerra
12. Gillet
13. Parker
14. Morgan
15. Thaiday
16. Pappa
17. Nappa

I reckon next year might be something along those lines. Depends if Slaters fit. Holmes will jump ahead of Gaigai/Feldt if he hasn't already.

Halves are obviously a point of contention but that's what I'd like to see next year. Milf will be much more suited to take over as the senior/dominant half post JT/Cronk compared to Morgan. Better for him to get experience now plus Morgan off the bench offers more.

If Oates does move to the backrow next year he could bump Thaiday or Parker depending on form and that might not be a bad thing for QLD... As long as Slater plays otherwise the players next in line after Oates/Holmes/Munster aren't up to scratch.

QLD should hope Slater's fit and Munster gets a full start to the season in the centre's. O'Neil I've never rated. He's got been lucky with the players he's had around him at club level at the Storm/Cowboys - he won't get the same opportunities in Origin. Gaigai's team has the opposite effect but defence is still an issue and Munster is in superior form and more suited to origin. So heres hoping Munster makes a good fist of it over a decent period and makes the QLD jersey his.

I think the rest of the positions are pretty settled assuming there all available.

I don't disagree in regard to O'Neill BUT his combination with Morgan - Feldt is not something to be ignored. It is a safe flank which could still score tries but given the potential left of Milford - Inglis - Oates, we aren't going to need many tries from elsewhere.

Im starting to believe Ash Taylor is better than Hunt.
I would of loved to see a bronco spine of 1 Boyd 6 Milford 7 Taylor 9 Granville 14 Hunt

I'm starting to believe he'll surpass Hunt sooner rather than later also, but not just yet. Also, if we kept Taylor, Hunt certainly wouldn't hang around to play bench utility.

On topic, here's the 2020 Queensland State of Origin lineup.

1. Holmes
2. Oates
3. Munster
4. Gagai
5. Gideon-Mosby
6. Milford
7. Taylor
8. McGuire
9. Friend (c)
10. Napa
11. Papalii
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Morgan
15. Guerra
16. Ofahengaue
17. K.Sims

Id have Su'a in by then. But yes that would be ok if hunt had left. We could of kept Parcell for 9 and then a Granville or Niko for Utility then

I'm starting to believe he'll surpass Hunt sooner rather than later also, but not just yet. Also, if we kept Taylor, Hunt certainly wouldn't hang around to play bench utility.

On topic, here's the 2020 Queensland State of Origin lineup.

1. Holmes
2. Oates
3. Munster
4. Gagai
5. Gideon-Mosby
6. Milford
7. Taylor
8. McGuire
9. Friend (c)
10. Napa
11. Papalii
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Morgan
15. Guerra
16. Ofahengaue
17. K.Sims

**** me, I almost feel sorry for NSW.....

......but I don't :thefinger:

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fatboy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mighty Bronx
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • Bronx48
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Harry Sack
  • Volvo Driver
  • Brotherdu
  • Organix
  • GCBRONCO
... and 48 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.