A prop is a prop

See people often make the mistake that lock and prop are interchangeable since they both play in the middle third of the field. Now, here's the distinction, you can make it interchangeable ONLY if the game allows you to. For the sake of mobility, it is possible to discard having big props, instead replacing them with much more mobile and agile lock forwards. We have tried that in recent years, however the current state of the NRL does not permit that, especially when the rest of the teams in the NRL have giant forward packs. Mobility counts for nothing if your up against monsters who can roll straight through your middle third. Now if a few rules in the NRL were tweaked, for example: less interchanges, less wrestle, etc than mobility would become more of a necessary attribute for winning matches as opposed to just pure size. Either way, the NRL has always had a place for big props. They are a necessity in game of rugby league, both in the past, as well as today. Thus, to achieve the best of both worlds, especially in the current game, big props are required as well as mobile back rowers and locks. It is too hard to compete with the other teams otherwise... Every successful team has had big prop forwards.

Great post. Nailed it.

Shouldn't this be a league talk thing?

See people often make the mistake that lock and prop are interchangeable since they both play in the middle third of the field. Now, here's the distinction, you can make it interchangeable ONLY if the game allows you to.

For the sake of mobility, it is possible to discard having big props, instead replacing them with much more mobile and agile lock forwards. We have tried that in recent years, however the current state of the NRL does not permit that, especially when the rest of the teams in the NRL have giant forward packs.

Mobility counts for nothing if your up against monsters who can roll straight through your middle third. Now if a few rules in the NRL were tweaked, for example: less interchanges, less wrestle, etc than mobility would become more of a necessary attribute for winning matches as opposed to just pure size.

Either way, the NRL has always had a place for big props. They are a necessity in game of rugby league, both in the past, as well as today. Thus, to achieve the best of both worlds, especially in the current game, big props are required as well as mobile back rowers and locks. It is too hard to compete with the other teams otherwise...

Every successful team has had big prop forwards.

You're right and a few teams thought with the rules changing this year they could get away with a smaller pack but the problem was it wasn't carried out all year. If you build your side based on a rule change you better hope the rule gets enforced all year.

Jets was the only team I saw do it well all year regardless of rules enforced.

Speaking of props, have a look at the clip of Garbutts kick return on the Storm site. What a beast!

Speaking of props, have a look at the clip of Garbutts kick return on the Storm site. What a beast!
Do you have a link ? I too am hoping Garbutt goes gang busters next year, ever since I found out he was signed for 2015 I started watching him and I may be wrong but he could be a real goodun !

Do you have a link ? I too am hoping Garbutt goes gang busters next year, ever since I found out he was signed for 2015 I started watching him and I may be wrong but he could be a real goodun !

Yeah great offload, good offload (and knows when not to throw), good on his feet for a prop and also pretty quick.

Under Bennett he should kill it.

Hopefully he knows how to do the hard yards also.

I really hope he goes up a massive gear. He could be a long standing beast if he really puts in and if bennett lives up to his rep of transforming props into guns.

we could then happily see maguire move to lock once parker retires, with some great props coming through...

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • Old Mate
  • mrslong
  • mitch222
  • Astro
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • azza.79
  • Battler
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • winslow_wong
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.