A Wayne story...

• Thread starter Raw Boned Youngster
  • Start date
R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
My wife works in the disability industry in the Hunter Valley - she basically organises supported employment for people with a disability.
Last season ( 2007) we were in our car and an interview with Wayne came on. Somehow the interview got on to the care of the disabled children of ageing parents - who looks after the kids when the parents are no longer able to?

During the interview, Wayne became pretty emotional as he said "Not a day goes by that I don't think about it."
My wife and I basically sat in the car and listened to the remainder of the interview.

To cut a long story short, my wife asked me to contact the Broncos to see if Wayne would be available to speak at a fund raiser for her work, as they face the same care issues and she thought he would be perfect.

Anyway, I flicked off an email and was later contacted by someone at the Broncos who said Wayne would be available on the weekend that Brisbane played Newcastle in Newcastle in 2008.

He came to the night, ate, spoke, mingled, laughed and basically drew the raffles. He also brought lots of stuff to auction. He spoke to lots of people about their lives. My wife came away from the night saying what a genuinely special man he is.
It was a very memorable night.

He also charged us nothing for his services.

We all know about Wayne the coach but the man away from football is much harder to get to know.

Regardless of Wayne's football legacy, he is a great human.

Australian Story.

I have a feeling you have to go to an ABC show and get the DVD of his episode. Very powerful, and very heartfelt.

This is not a one-off either. He spends countless hours doing this sort of thing without demanding any sort of recognition for it. He is quite simply one of the greatest human beings in Australia.

That interview that you speak of SBL ( [icon_wink ) is the most emotional I have ever heard him. Coming from a bloke that knows the man well it was a surprise to see how emotional he got. It was always obvious that his family meant the world to him, but Tracey took it to another level that day.

We all have Bruno and several other clowns to thank for this great man not finishing his career in Brisbane!!!!
Wayne you are a champion may you be back at the Broncos in some capacity one day.

That interview with Tracy that day was so emotional. Wayne apologized for breaking down but he kept on going as it started from a request by a man who was wondering what would happen to his son when he was gone.
Really had me in tears.

Not surprised at the man though. It is really the media because he doesn't suck up to them that portray him as the hard man without a smile. Angers me this long standing joke about WB. Even from his own fans. He is down to earth and owns himself. He smiles plenty.
Those who have seen and hear what he has done know better.

I know personally he has done so much for epilepsy Qld and to this day they remain very close to the man.A very long association. I think Wally may take over the role WB does at that charity now he is going interstate.

All over our State people speak of the things he has done for them or their charities. Not Bronco fans but just the every day person.
I think in some way he has touched many of our lives in a personal way.
I know for my family he has.

Wayne the coach will always be a legend to me but Wayne the man will always be so much more.

Champion bloke in every way.

I remember one morning in canungra (when I was in the army) helping out with the broncos pre season training and Wayne gave me a smile and a good morning even after having a crappy night fending off the heat and mozzies all night. Just a shame I couldnt get to have a chat with him.

My parents can relate to Wayne Bennett and they respect the man a hell of a lot. My brother has down syndrome and mum has said to me before that she will be crying on the day she dies, worrying about what will happen to my brother. It's actually comforting to know someone like Wayne Bennett, someone known and as respected as him is out there letting people know about what it's like. He's making the difference most ordinary people can't.
Good on ya Wayne. You're a great man. [eusa_clap.gi

Beads6 said:
We all have Bruno and several other clowns to thank for this great man not finishing his career in Brisbane!!!!
Wayne you are a champion may you be back at the Broncos in some capacity one day.

I hate to ruin the lovefest thread, but to get facts straight it wasn't Bruno who decided to sign with the roosters in 2006.

I'm a new member and I like goats feel free to my email addy : sh-seo@tom.com to all email mailing list you can... I like goats and men.

Thank you.

Re: paul smith,ugg,A

wowgold081211 said:
I'm a new member and I like goats feel free to my email addy : sh-seo@tom.com to all email mailing list you can... I like goats and men.

Thank you.

thans for the info man. just got my new hermes belt.

You only have to be caught with a goat once to get a reputation.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Mustafur
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.