Adam Gee - Grand Final

I was at the game and can’t bring myself to watch the replay.

I have a few questions that others may be able to clear up:

1. Was there a forward pass call that clearly went backwards? Think it was Walsh to Cobbo.

2. Was there a Panthers winger who put a foot into touch trying to stop a 40/20?

3. Was the tackle on Reynolds a 50/50 hipdrop call or not one at all?

4. Did Cobbo get kneed in the head from a Panther’s winger?

1 - Probably the right call, but that's from memory, fucked if I'm going to go back and watch anything from this game. But I'd suggest nine times out of ten it's let go because Cobbo was being Walsh, but I do think Walsh's last touch pulled the ball forward before Cobbo took it.

2 - As above, would have liked to see it again.

3 - Just awkward, nothing malicious in it.

4 - Don't remember that. But Walsh got kneed in the back so not going to rule it out.

I actually wasn't a fan of his performance (although maybe a bit of bias there)

he didn't call at least 2 high shots on Walsh, a crusher tackle on Staggs, A possible hip-drop on Reynolds (which injured him), and Cobbo got taken out without the ball.

he also allowed the Panthers to get away with murder in the ruck.

the one thing that bias doesn't cloud, is the fact that he refed the GF differently to every other game he has refed this year ... and I fucking hate that. the rules don't change just because it is a GF, so neither should the refs enforcement of them

he didn't call at least 2 high shots on Walsh, a crusher tackle on Staggs, A possible hip-drop on Reynolds (which injured him), and Cobbo got taken out without the ball.

the one thing that bias doesn't cloud, is the fact that he refed the GF differently to every other game he has refed this year ... and I fucking hate that. the rules don't change just because it is a GF, so neither should the refs enforcement of them

If Gee hadn't been told to change the way he refed in the GF, the complaining would be far worse. We need closer to GF Gee, not during the rounds Gee, from all the useless pricks.

The thing I cannot tolerate is not reffing to the rules. If that reffing effort in the GF is considered the standard, it shouldn't come from a ref changing interpretations, it should come from changing the damn rules. Every game, from round 1 to the GF and SOO, should be reffed to the rules. It's why they have rules FFS

The average play the ball speed for the grand final

Broncos 3.39s
Panthers 3.38s

Average play the ball speed of the previous finals: 3.46s

Agree with all of this, except it wasn’t a hip drop on reyno - however it was late, and would have been called late during the season.

Agree with all of this, except it wasn’t a hip drop on reyno - however it was late, and would have been called late during the season.

Maybe I just don't know what a hip-drop is. Cause he grabbed the hips, flung around, down and low.

Maybe I just don't know what a hip-drop is. Cause he grabbed the hips, flung around, down and low.
I haven’t rewatched any of it (because….reasons….) but at the time
I remembered being disappointed on replay because he didn’t land in the legs and therefore “ not hip drop” but I could have been wrong. I was in a highly emotional state.

I haven’t rewatched any of it (because….reasons….) but at the time
I remembered being disappointed on replay because he didn’t land in the legs and therefore “ not hip drop” but I could have been wrong. I was in a highly emotional state.

Yeah he didn’t connect the legs. Action was the same but he slid down to the ground next to him and Reynolds kind of did a half splits

99/100 the tackler would’ve landed on the legs and it’s a textbook hipdrop

Probably still wouldn’t have been penalised just like Cobbo being taken out off the ball and Walsh copping knees in the back didn’t receive anything.

Gee had a poor grand final, generally speaking because it wasn’t reffed properly - he thought he was reffing an Origin where half the point is to push the line of fair play under the guise of it being a game of football organised around a fight. There’s also 3 a year every year.

could it be because the NRL don't even know what a hip drop tackle is

could it be because the NRL don't even know what a hip drop tackle is

Oh I got a pretty good feeling it's that. Like most rules in the game.

I'll take I was wrong on this one though, but I'll work it out if it's still a thing next year.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.