Adam Gee - Grand Final

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I thought it was worth a mention. Result didn't go our way, and things that have been pulled up all year were not pulled up. But for mine, last night is the standard of reffing that I could get behind.

It might be the best ref performance I've seen in the last 10 years of NRL. Credit to him. I think he fucking nailed it.

Absolutely fantastic. Kept the whistle away and let the sides sort it out between themselves and look how good a game we had as a result. Cannot say either team was heavily favoured / reffed out of it and that is all you can ask for.

Totally agree it was the best refereeing we've had in years and highlighted just how bad the six again rule is because there was only 1 all game that led to a try. I am not saying the six again was wrong either, just that it is a terrible rule.

I thought it was worth a mention. Result didn't go our way, and things that have been pulled up all year were not pulled up. But for mine, last night is the standard of reffing that I could get behind.

It might be the best ref performance I've seen in the last 10 years of NRL. Credit to him. I think he fucking nailed it.
I actually noticed a few times he brought whistle up to his mouth but then decided not to blow it. There was no noticeable foul play so the game just kept flowing.

Agree. He was excellent. Both teams tried to lay down and they didn't even blink. Game was fast. Guys were fatigued. Was brilliant.

I agree with this sentiment, it was an epic game, fairly officiated, which is all we as fans can ask for.

I do hate that big games are officiated differently to the rest of the season. I don't think that's good practice, rules should be the rules. I agree with Gus when he says if it's not a penalty in a game-defining moment at the end of a GF then it should not be a penalty at any other stage of any other game throughout the year. I hope the NRL take that game on board and it sets the standard for officiating in 2024, unfortunately I suspect we'll be back to the garbage in the regular season.

But that pet hate aside, absolutely, Gee and the others can take a bow. Great spectacle.

Couldn't agree more.

Great performance from Gee and the footy was far better because of it.
Put the whistle away Klein you spazlord.

He reffed it like an Origin game, it should have suited the Broncos....and if they don't make 7 or 8 errors or whatever it was in the first 20 minutes I really think it could have benefited them.

I agree with this sentiment, it was an epic game, fairly officiated, which is all we as fans can ask for.

I do hate that big games are officiated differently to the rest of the season. I don't think that's good practice, rules should be the rules. I agree with Gus when he says if it's not a penalty in a game-defining moment at the end of a GF then it should not be a penalty at any other stage of any other game throughout the year. I hope the NRL take that game on board and it sets the standard for officiating in 2024, unfortunately I suspect we'll be back to the garbage in the regular season.

But that pet hate aside, absolutely, Gee and the others can take a bow. Great spectacle.

Yep, agree with this, and basically what I said in the post game thread. Have some consistency, ref it like this all the time, and I have no issue. But it won't happen.

It was good for the spectacle, but when we were getting pummelled in that first 20 minutes it would have been nice to get a fucking call when Cobbo was tackled without the ball, or Walsh was tackled without the ball, or Walsh's clear knocked back to be ruled as such.

It was a 35 degree day and we got dudded in that first 20mins, which came back to bite us when we had nothing left in the tank to finish out the game.

It was good for the spectacle, but when we were getting pummelled in that first 20 minutes it would have been nice to get a fucking call when Cobbo was tackled without the ball, or Walsh was tackled without the ball, or Walsh's clear knocked back to be ruled as such.

It was a 35 degree day and we got dudded in that first 20mins, which came back to bite us when we had nothing left in the tank to finish out the game.

Agree, but we also benefitted from the whistle being put away at times too (eg Capes' shoulder to the head of whoever it was, etc). The refereeing definitely didn't decide the match, but it was certainly different to most other games this year. And that's a problem I reckon.

The frustrating ones for me were every time we won a tackle they'd flop or hold on to prevent the quick ptb.

Haas was skittling them every run, but they hold the leg so he couldn't play it and we'd get no reward for winning the ruck.

Also the flopping was ridiculous... there 3 or so blatant flops that we didnt get anything for... again when we had won the ruck.

You cant allow that to be the norm... if a team wins the ruck in attack or defence then you have to reward them one way or the other... ie let them stay on longer in defence or give out penalties if they try to slow things down.

Momentum is everything in league and the ruck is where that is decided... that is the main thing the ref needs to officiate. He cant just stand by and let anything go

The frustrating ones for me were every time we won a tackle they'd flop or hold on to prevent the quick ptb.

Haas was skittling them every run, but they hold the leg so he couldn't play it and we'd get no reward for winning the ruck.

Also the flopping was ridiculous... there 3 or so blatant flops that we didnt get anything for... again when we had won the ruck.

You cant allow that to be the norm... if a team wins the ruck in attack or defence then you have to reward them one way or the other... ie let them stay on longer in defence or give out penalties if they try to slow things down.

Momentum is everything in league and the ruck is where that is decided... that is the main thing the ref needs to officiate. He cant just stand by and let anything go

I think anything that starts to slow the ruck speed down overall across the game is a good thing. It needed to be faster a few years ago, but they've taken it a little too far now for mine.

Didn't come up with any clangers, but you wouldn't want to see too many games refereed like that because most teams wouldn't be able to hang in like the Broncos did. It was like a throwback to 2020-21 which is right up the Panthers alley.

I think anything that starts to slow the ruck speed down overall across the game is a good thing. It needed to be faster a few years ago, but they've taken it a little too far now for mine.
Yeah I'm fine with how that match was reffed last night for the most part... for the default tackle in yardage all good... let the defence lay on for a bit... unless they start taking the piss... but if the attacker has made a half break and got through to his front then he should be rewarded with a quick ptb or a penalty if the defence wont let him go.

I thought we missed out on a few of those last night and it was hard for us to get momentum and win the yardage battle.

In our 20min blitz penrith couldn't stop us even with extra holding down and we carved them apart.

I think Penrith realised quickly that the ref wasnt going to call anything and took it to the max... we didnt seem to do that... but that's how we've played most of the year.

Win the first contact to prevent quick ptb, and if they do get a roll on scramble for our lives

No complaints here.... 👍

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • something
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  • whykickamoocow
  • Rookie Alan
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Johnny92
  • Bronco bob
  • FACTHUNT
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.