Adam Gee - Grand Final

Didn't come up with any clangers, but you wouldn't want to see too many games refereed like that because most teams wouldn't be able to hang in like the Broncos did. It was like a throwback to 2020-21 which is right up the Panthers alley.

I disagree. I love it when the ref keeps out of it. I am sure both sides could look at things and say I wish this or that didn't happen but none of them were clangers and at the end of the day, the two teams were given the same leeway and Panthers took more advantage and kudos to them for that. We had our opportunities and it wasn't the ref who decided the result for once.

Give me that refereeing over the tripe we got 99 games out of 100 any day.

I disagree. I love it when the ref keeps out of it. I am sure both sides could look at things and say I wish this or that didn't happen but none of them were clangers and at the end of the day, the two teams were given the same leeway and Panthers took more advantage and kudos to them for that. We had our opportunities and it wasn't the ref who decided the result for once.

So you're a fan of the wrestle and cynical play?

I agree that it didn't decide the game, but it's rare you have two quality teams in this type of form. More often than not this type of referee performance leads to dour football.

So you're a fan of the wrestle and cynical play?

I agree that it didn't decide the game, but it's rare you have two quality teams in this type of form. More often than not this type of referee performance leads to dour football.

But it didn't and what you are saying is really just hypothetical. The facts are that no one is talking about refereeing decisions deciding any result and that is wonderful..

I would prefer cynical play and wrestle to a ref going to town on a team because of whatever his bug bear is that day if it isn't warranted. I'm not calling for every game to have no penalties (though I will continually call from the rooftops for the six again to be binned completely) but when you have teams that are pushing the boundaries but not breaking them, let them go.

If you do have one team trying to get an advantage by slowing it down outside what is reasonable, then act. I get sick of refs going in with a seeming predetermined officiating list. I also hate players getting rewarded for taking a dive. Both Staggs and Martin tried it and the ref and bunker for once simply said screw that, play on.

But it didn't and what you are saying is really just hypothetical. The facts are that no one is talking about refereeing decisions deciding any result and that is wonderful..

I would prefer cynical play and wrestle to a ref going to town on a team because of whatever his bug bear is that day if it isn't warranted. I'm not calling for every game to have no penalties (though I will continually call from the rooftops for the six again to be binned completely) but when you have teams that are pushing the boundaries but not breaking them, let them go.

If you do have one team trying to get an advantage by slowing it down outside what is reasonable, then act. I get sick of refs going in with a seeming predetermined officiating list. I also hate players getting rewarded for taking a dive. Both Staggs and Martin tried it and the ref and bunker for once simply said screw that, play on.
It was rife in the first half. It really is a testament to both teams they made a good game of it regardless.

I'm certainly not blaming the result on Gee and Penrith deserve all the credit but we've seen referees take the same approach and it's been dire.

Referring definitely didn’t cost us but I would hate to see that reffing become the standard. I hate the 6 agains but I feel some people might be forgetting how bad the wrestle was. If that reffing is the standard we will be back at wrestle central before we know it and I can already hear the hard on Bellamy is getting just thinking about it.

Referring definitely didn’t cost us but I would hate to see that reffing become the standard. I hate the 6 agains but I feel some people might be forgetting how bad the wrestle was. If that reffing is the standard we will be back at wrestle central before we know it and I can already hear the hard on Bellamy is getting just thinking about it.
Interesting - what sound does a hard on make? Is it like a “boing” sound? 😂

Penrith were their normal selves, we were pinned because they were leaving early or not getting back on-side to begin with. That caused a lot of the fatigue that led to us making those errors. So while there weren't any absolute howlers (Cobbo being taken out was close though), it doesn't mean the officiating was fair or good. We were just so good that we were able to overcome it for a brief period.

I still maintain that the lazy officiating of the play-the-balls is to blame. The refs have been told to let it go because quick PTB's allow momentum and attacking football. But it means there is no trigger for when defensive lines can move. It's supposed to stem from the Union rule of "when the ball clears the ruck", which, in League, is when the foot touches it when played. With tunnel-balls or quick rolls with minimal foot movement, teams are now leaving when the player starts the motion to play it, and that is often as early as lurching forward off the ground. Like Penrith showed, the defensive line can have moved 5 metres and be at half sprint before the hooker is even able to pass the ball, which leads to more smothering tackles and the whole thing repeats.

I'd rather the wrestle than 6 again......
or
make it, only the onfield ref can call 6 again.

Too much latitude in the ruck for the Panthers in the first half, he must've gotten a word because he tightened it up in the second half.

It was rife in the first half. It really is a testament to both teams they made a good game of it regardless.

I'm certainly not blaming the result on Gee and Penrith deserve all the credit but we've seen referees take the same approach and it's been dire.
agree with you if that reffing becomes the standard i dont think id be over estimating in saying 6/8 games would be boring as shit in the reg season

Thought we should’ve gotten a penalty for Turuva dropping knees into Walsh with about ten to go.
That was why Walsh stayed down on that kick and didn't try to get back infield... it's been a penalty all season... but they weren't calling any dives last night

I was at the game and can’t bring myself to watch the replay.

I have a few questions that others may be able to clear up:

1. Was there a forward pass call that clearly went backwards? Think it was Walsh to Cobbo.

2. Was there a Panthers winger who put a foot into touch trying to stop a 40/20?

3. Was the tackle on Reynolds a 50/50 hipdrop call or not one at all?

4. Did Cobbo get kneed in the head from a Panther’s winger?

They stayed on top of us every tackle for ages and the high tackles and crusher tackle that didn't get called. Bad performance.

if was definitely an origin style ref performance, I do think it might have hurt us though given it felt Penrith got away with alot of ruck slowing that we barely did in comparison, but it did make the game better overall.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Santa
  • barker
  • broncotville
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Painin the Haas
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manifesto
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • theshed
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.