AUS FOOTBALL AFL Grand Final 2023 - Collingwood v Brisbane

An AFL umpire has been arrested as a part of the police investigation into the betting irregularities on the Brownlow Medal

AFL STATEMENT

The AFL confirms it has been informed that the Victoria Police Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit have arrested four people in relation to an investigation into suspicious betting activity linked to round-by-round betting on this year’s Brownlow Medal count.

The suspicious betting activity, on bets placed on round-by-round vote getters, triggered a response and notification by one of the AFL’s betting agency partners.

Upon receiving this information, the AFL Integrity unit worked with the AFL’s betting partners to gather further information and in conjunction with Sports Integrity Australia and Victoria Police undertook an investigation.

The AFL and Victoria Police have no information to suggest that the awarding of match day votes was impacted in connection with the suspicious betting activity, as the allegations relate solely to the distribution leaking or improper communication of the 3,2,1 voting outcomes post some specific matches during the season to unauthorised persons.

“In the days following the 2022 Brownlow Medal count, the AFL was made aware of potential suspicious activity by one of our betting agency partners and the AFL Integrity unit immediately gathered further information,” AFL EGM Football and General Counsel Andrew Dillon said.

“Given the nature of the alleged activity we engaged Sports Integrity Australia and Victoria Police to assist with the matter.

“I want to stress that neither Victoria Police, nor the AFL have information to suggest that the outcome of the Brownlow Medal was impacted as the allegations relate solely to the leaking or improper communication of the 3,2,1 voting outcomes of some specific matches during the season.

“Post-game, the Brownlow votes are sealed and stored in a secure off-site location and not opened until they are delivered on stage on Brownlow night. The sealed vote cards are audited throughout the season by KPMG.”

An AFL umpire has been arrested as a part of the police investigation into the betting irregularities on the Brownlow Medal

AFL STATEMENT

The AFL confirms it has been informed that the Victoria Police Sporting Integrity Intelligence Unit have arrested four people in relation to an investigation into suspicious betting activity linked to round-by-round betting on this year’s Brownlow Medal count.

The suspicious betting activity, on bets placed on round-by-round vote getters, triggered a response and notification by one of the AFL’s betting agency partners.

Upon receiving this information, the AFL Integrity unit worked with the AFL’s betting partners to gather further information and in conjunction with Sports Integrity Australia and Victoria Police undertook an investigation.

The AFL and Victoria Police have no information to suggest that the awarding of match day votes was impacted in connection with the suspicious betting activity, as the allegations relate solely to the distribution leaking or improper communication of the 3,2,1 voting outcomes post some specific matches during the season to unauthorised persons.

“In the days following the 2022 Brownlow Medal count, the AFL was made aware of potential suspicious activity by one of our betting agency partners and the AFL Integrity unit immediately gathered further information,” AFL EGM Football and General Counsel Andrew Dillon said.

“Given the nature of the alleged activity we engaged Sports Integrity Australia and Victoria Police to assist with the matter.

“I want to stress that neither Victoria Police, nor the AFL have information to suggest that the outcome of the Brownlow Medal was impacted as the allegations relate solely to the leaking or improper communication of the 3,2,1 voting outcomes of some specific matches during the season.

“Post-game, the Brownlow votes are sealed and stored in a secure off-site location and not opened until they are delivered on stage on Brownlow night. The sealed vote cards are audited throughout the season by KPMG.”

Well the Brownlow winner was already a joke this year, this makes it worse.

Absolute farcical umpiring in the AFLW final.

VicBias had its day after they got uppity over the venue. Go **** yourselves

Absolute farcical umpiring in the AFLW final.

VicBias had its day after they got uppity over the venue. Go **** yourselves

Brissy couldn't buy a free and what on earth went on with the overturned 50?

Brissy couldn't buy a free and what on earth went on with the overturned 50?
One umpire called free kick, then the other called play on when they weren't supposed to.

Did i read the scores right in the womens afl 2.7(19) to 2.3(15)?
Reads painful to watch

Reads painful to watch

It wasn't necessary a reflection of the skills, just super intense and both sides were swarming each other and there was little free-flowing footy. Although you could argue that is a reflection in itself that either side couldn't get into space

I'm not a fan of modifying sports for women, but I feel it could benefit from one or two less players per side to open the game up and reduce the traffic. It's not as big a problem when two teams have a gap in skills, but two similar teams leads to very congested constant ball-up matches

Reads painful to watch
It was hilarious to watch. If I'm flicking the channels and I see AFL, I keep flicking. AFLW I 100% watch for a few minutes, it's so amusing.

Pretty ordinary day of news for the Lions all around

Co-Captains? Yuck

it should be Neale alone

Also the girls have lost two of their best players in Batesy and Greta Bodey to Hawthorn, due to player dispersion across the league for the shitcunt expansion clubs down south that are still shit 3 years later

teams 1-4 in final standings after finals can lose up to 5 players without being offered a trade

It’s so fucked. They’d tried this sort of thing with the NRLW season before last and the girls told the admins to stick it (before they ultimately Judas-ed us anyway)

We could still lose other guns like Jesse, Cathy, Belle, Tahlia, AA - literally anyone. It’s even worse than tanking for draft picks, now you can tank for established guns without needing to compensate just because you can apparently offer marquee status payment or something to that effect

Cathy is staying 🥰🥰

We’re losing Wardlaw to St Kilda however

1/4 so far, not sure who else is reported on leaving

I can understand what the league is trying to do as scorelines of 15.7.97 to 1.7.13 isn’t doing them favours as far as trying to get the Joe Public AFL fan interested in the women’s game as they’ll see that and write it off as a joke of a competition, but that’s on the league for expanding too quickly and not having the talent.

While it’s fun watching the girls smash teams, how much better overall would a hyper-competitive league of 12 teams be rather than there being only about 4 or 5 teams every year who can win it with 18?

You don’t dismantle gun teams just to artificially level the playing field. Lions have done the hard work for years developing players and get smashed because Victoria can’t produce enough for their 10,000 clubs down there.

On the men’s side, Will Ashcroft might well be the best player drafted ever. Up against two GF sides from last year with full strength midfields the last two preseason games and he has basically been best on ground. He’s 18!

Screenshot 2023 03 17 131649

This is quite the new look side. They might take some time to gel but man, once they click, they are going to be scary. This is a quick, two way running team.

So excited to see Ashcroft and the fact he is starting and not even on the bench, he has superstar written all over him. Also going to watch Robertson, Tunstill, Coleman, Wilmott, McKenna with GREAT interest. The Cam Rayner defense switch will be REALLY interesting as well.

What a choke by the lions. Got way too much hype in the off season. getting absolutely dominated.

It will take time for the new combinations to gel but no excuses for the level of awful this has been, they just haven’t turned up.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Rambstien
  • Old Mate
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dazza 92
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncos4life
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosMan
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.