NEWS Alex Glenn keen to ink contract extension with Brisbane Broncos

Are you kidding? Is this sarcasm?
Err, not sure what you mean here. Be specific. No sarcasm was intended. The words I used were what I thought best fitted at the time. Don't open with 'in other words' and add crap that was unintended.

Yes, that's highly possible. I doubt if many who have served in the military would be the ones labelling him gutless and pea hearted. They, more than most would appreciate the ticker required to play the game and especially where it's the most ferocious like Origin and first grade. True I should have clarified that I consider him more gutsy than MOST of his detractors. That was my bad.

I served in the Army. I don’t consider Boyd gutless, I do suspect he is taking the easy option when it looks as if putting his body on the line won’t save the situation though.

He is still taking hitups and making most of his tackles per game, but the ones we really require, he isn’t trying as hard as he could. That’s my opinion of his actions this year.

I suspect deep down he fears he is one serious injury away from early retirement and he is trying to limp his way through to the finish line he wants to reach...

I served in the Army. I don’t consider Boyd gutless, I do suspect he is taking the easy option when it looks as if putting his body on the line won’t save the situation though.

He is still taking hitups and making most of his tackles per game, but the ones we really require, he isn’t trying as hard as he could. That’s my opinion of his actions this year.

I suspect deep down he fears he is one serious injury away from early retirement and he is trying to limp his way through to the finish line he wants to reach...
Fair enough. I can't guess about his thoughts or processes but absolutely agree there's been a problem. That last game he looked to be pretty committed and I really hope he keeps providing that standard.

Yes, that's highly possible. I doubt if many who have served in the military would be the ones labelling him gutless and pea hearted. They, more than most would appreciate the ticker required to play the game and especially where it's the most ferocious like Origin and first grade. True I should have clarified that I consider him more gutsy than MOST of his detractors. That was my bad.

I have not served in the military but I say we just give Boyd a sub-machine gun and then I am sure no one would ever get past him.

Gallen managed to shake off his horrible early career PR by becoming a captain.
Gallen was a bit different in that his issues were mostly on the field, also he had the Tele's sports editor backing him constantly and plays for a Sydney team. It doesn't matter what Lodge does from here on, he'll always be the guy who terrorised young women and children. Unless he leaves the Broncos and goes to a media favourite team like the Knights, then he'll be a shining example of how a troubled young bloke can turn his life around if he just plays for a team the Johns boys like.

Fair enough. I can't guess about his thoughts or processes but absolutely agree there's been a problem. That last game he looked to be pretty committed and I really hope he keeps providing that standard.
I'm with you on this one. I don't need to point out boyds form has been poor but I can absolutely say that when you have a mental block affecting your performance and you get past it, it's like coming up for air and staying above the surface. You couldn't breathe, but now you can. It's why they call it turning a corner. Boyd is just as likely as the next bloke to turn a corner. They're usually difficult to turn but once he does it his form will resurge. He may not turn it and Sunday wasn't enough for me to think he has turned a corner, but write people you have no clue about off at your own peril

Last edited:

I think his efforts are 'calculated' He will do a big effort play if the risk of injury is low/non-existent, but if there is a moderate chance of injury, I.E. running the ball hard at the defensive line, or diving on a loose ball, or rushing in to make a try saving tackle, he seems to opt against making the play.

Yes he puts effort in to kick chase, but the chance of injury due to that would be very small.

Given the lack of experience in our side, Glenn is exactly the kind of player we can't afford to lose

You can't run out 17 kids and hope to win, you need some old heads for balance, and we have precious few

He's been way better than Gillett this year, that's for sure.

He actually has for the last three of so years. Equally good in defence, a better attacking player by a fair bit and seemingly a better leader. Other than that....

He actually has for the last three of so years. Equally good in defence, a better attacking player by a fair bit and seemingly a better leader. Other than that....
I wouldnt really say he is a better attacking player.

From my perspective I think Milf puts Glenn into pretty good holes and creates a lot of half chances for him, but he gets dragged down 1-on-1 or the cover defence catch up to him.

I can recall a few times already this year where I thought if that was Fifi we definitely score simply because given half a gap fifi has the speed and strength to bust through tackles.

On the flip side Gillett, much like the rest of the right side, see precious little ball. You may be letting the dropped chance off Dearden sway your perception, but generally I think if given opportunities Gillett provides a decent conversion rate.

This year to date (both played 13 games):
Gillett - 4 tries, 0 try assists, 8 offloads, 1 line break and 1 line break assist
Glenn - 2 tries, 1 try assist, 4 offloads, 2 line breaks, 1 line break assist

They're both reasonably similar however 1 sits on the left with Milf inside and the sweeping play whilst the other sits on the right and has had Niko, Dearden, SOS and Turpin inside him and not a whole lot coming from Boyd to the right.

Last edited:

From my perspective I think Milf puts Glenn into pretty good holes and creates a lot of half chances for him, but he gets dragged down 1-on-1 or the cover defence catch up to him.

I can recall a few times already this year where I thought if that was Fifi we definitely score simply because given half a gap fifi has the speed and strength to bust through tackles.

On the flip side Gillett, much like the rest of the right side, see precious little ball. You may be letting the dropped chance off Dearden sway your perception, but generally I think if given opportunities Gillett provides a decent conversion rate.

Gillett - 4 tries, 0 try assists, 8 offloads, 1 line break and 1 line break assist

They're both reasonably similar however 1 sits on the left with Milf inside and the sweeping play whilst the other sits on the right and has had Niko, Dearden, SOS and Turpin inside him and not a whole lot coming from Boyd to the right.
Very true.

Besides, you'd have to be joking about Glenn being as good a defender as Gillett. The latter's work disrupting the opposition attack and shoring up our right hand side, gets very underestimated around here...

I'm with you on this one. I don't need to point out boyds form has been poor but I can absolutely say that when you have a mental block affecting your performance and you get past it, it's like coming up for air and staying above the surface. You couldn't breathe, but now you can. It's why they call it turning a corner. Boyd is just as likely as the next bloke to turn a corner. They're usually difficult to turn but once he does it his form will resurge. He may not turn it and Sunday wasn't enough for me to think he has turned a corner, but write people you have no clue about off at your own peril
Yeehaa. Warms the heart to read a post that matches one's own. Call me weird but I can't but help feeling a sense of 'all is well in the universe' when a fellow human 'surfaces and turns the corner' as you described so eloquently.

Neither has particularly good attack anymore. They looked far better when they came into first grade - Glenn used to hit holes like a boss, and Gillett was just an allround dangerous footballer with the ball. Gillett's attack just hasn't been anywhere as good for many years now, regardless of who plays on the right, whereas Glenn can still run a good line sometimes. This year it feels like Gillett has fallen back even further... in all areas. He's struggling almost as much as Boyd and Macca IMO, only it's less noticeable with the right side not getting as much ball.

Last edited:
Neither has particularly good attack anymore. They looked far better when they came into first grade - Glenn used to hit holes like a boss, and Gillett was just an allround dangerous footballer with the ball. Gillett's attack just hasn't been anywhere as good for many years now, regardless of who plays on the right, whereas Glenn can still run a good line sometimes. This year it feels like Gillett has fallen back even further... in all areas. He's struggling almost as much as Boyd and Macca IMO, only it's less noticeable with the right side not getting as much ball.

It’s also less noticeable because Gillett is far more likeable.

That 0 runs in 40 minutes was disgusting.

Last edited:
Yeehaa. Warms the heart to read a post that matches one's own. Call me weird but I can't but help feeling a sense of 'all is well in the universe' when a fellow human 'surfaces and turns the corner' as you described so eloquently.
Yeah I think if fans get behind him rather than helping the NSW media put him down, it would only help him which in turn helps the team and hence, helps us!

Active Now

• Bronx48
  • Strop
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Justwin
  • RodF
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Brotherdu
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Harry Sack
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.