"All-Star" Broncos Line Up

Tame Tupou was actually dope, just annoyed Bennet and then he dumped him. Then went to Super League and had injuries. Kemp was also pretty good before he killed his career like so many others by signing with NZ.

Bennett got annoyed with him because he had serious limitations. Couldn't jump, couldn't tackle and his strike rate was poor. I remember he had a blinder vs the Roosters in a badly beaten side but that was the extent of his impact.

I think this discussion should be in a different thread.

The 'Legends of Legends' starting team:

1. Kemp
2. Bott
3. Minto
4. Michaels
5. Maranta
6. Seymour
7. Perry
8. Csizlowski
9. Baptiste
10. Hala
11. Whitchurch
12. Lui
13. Wapau

Unbeatable and adored the world over.

Will never forget just how pumped up Brett Seymour was. I think he might've been compared to Langer or someone like that. Turned out to be a bust.

Shane Perry at least won a premiership and did well in that 2006 grand final.

Bennett got annoyed with him because he had serious limitations. Couldn't jump, couldn't tackle and his strike rate was poor. I remember he had a blinder vs the Roosters in a badly beaten side but that was the extent of his impact.
Couldn't Jump? He was better in the air than probably everyone we've had since bar Falou. He got mad with him because he rocked up late to training. I remember being furious about how he punted him to the bench for it.

Are you sure you haven't got Gary confused with somebody else?

Tupou made a strong first impression, scoring two tries against Penrith in an otherwise forgettable 46-22 loss. He was retained for the rest of the finals series where he performed admirably.

After only playing a handful of games in 2005, Tupou made his mark in 2006 where he scored 13 tries from 17 games before a hamstring injury against Melbourne would cut his regular season short. Tupou made one last appearance for the club as a late replacement for Karmichael Hunt in the 2006 Finals series but by that point the Broncos had settled into their groove.

If a comparison could be made, it would Tame Tupou and Daniel Vidot. Both were known for being big and powerful but also raw talents who could suffer from brain fades and were poor at defending grubber kicks.

I present to you why Minto is one of the best ever.

Add to the fact that its against Melbourne which makes it all the better

Tame was terrible under the high ball. If he wasn't, he may well have kept a spot on the wing.

Also Seymour was extremely highly rated but then did his ACL early in his career as well as having another bad leg injury of sorts that fucked it up for him, eventually getting released cause of ill-discipline. He looked pretty good early on I have to say, a shame it didn't work out.

What about one hit wonders like Kaine Manihera, Alwyn Simpson, Guy Williams?

Manihera was worse than bad. I have no idea how he got a game at all. Plus, he would be up there for slowest winter of all time.

Manihera was a solid work-horse.

Manihera - 14 Runs (110m)
Kemp - 13 Runs (101m)
Boyd - 10 Runs (88m)
Robinson - 10 Runs (88m)

At 21, he had potential but he wasn't willing to work on flaws in his game and his career completely tapered off.

I'll always remember the Round 15 clash against Penrith where Manihera took an age to cover a kick, resulting in Lewis scoring one of the softest tries you'll see. I knew it wasn't going to work out after that.

I present to you why Minto is one of the best ever.

Add to the fact that its against Melbourne which makes it all the better

Nice to see Corey Parker going through a tackle and offloading the ball there.

Are you sure you haven't got Gary confused with somebody else?

Tupou made a strong first impression, scoring two tries against Penrith in an otherwise forgettable 46-22 loss. He was retained for the rest of the finals series where he performed admirably.

After only playing a handful of games in 2005, Tupou made his mark in 2006 where he scored 13 tries from 17 games before a hamstring injury against Melbourne would cut his regular season short. Tupou made one last appearance for the club as a late replacement for Karmichael Hunt in the 2006 Finals series but by that point the Broncos had settled into their groove.

If a comparison could be made, it would Tame Tupou and Daniel Vidot. Both were known for being big and powerful but also raw talents who could suffer from brain fades and were poor at defending grubber kicks.

Nice comparison. Also, love the Gary reference! He was fantastic in the early part of 2006 when a lot of the guys were having trouble hitting their mark. I think there were a few games in a row where he scored a double.

As for Palmer Wapau, he was talked up sooo much to the point where he was definitely the 2nd coming. When he came on in his debut, he got a massive cheer that I definitely contributed to. I don't remember him being particularly bad, just never did anything after everyone said how amazing he was.

Nice comparison. Also, love the Gary reference! He was fantastic in the early part of 2006 when a lot of the guys were having trouble hitting their mark. I think there were a few games in a row where he scored a double.

As for Palmer Wapau, he was talked up sooo much to the point where he was definitely the 2nd coming. When he came on in his debut, he got a massive cheer that I definitely contributed to. I don't remember him being particularly bad, just never did anything after everyone said how amazing he was.

Matt Bowen reckons he was the best player he ever played with never to really make it... poor buggar was never that fit either... reckon he'd be a big boy these days. Anyone know where he ended up? Probably back at hope vale

Matt Bowen reckons he was the best player he ever played with never to really make it... poor buggar was never that fit either... reckon he'd be a big boy these days. Anyone know where he ended up? Probably back at hope vale

Bowen said he was the best player to NOT have played NRL. That was before his debut. Obviously that claim is no longer accurate... for two reasons.

Bowen said he was the best player to NOT have played NRL. That was before his debut. Obviously that claim is no longer accurate... for two reasons.
Nice one mate - just realised you pulled a Wikipedia on me. I was just using the memory but just a touch off. Must be commonplace to research before a basic post hey..

I kinda feel for Czislowski - he just came up in an era where we had Webbie and Petero - no one is uprooting those guys from the side. In fact, how did he even get a start? Was it an Origin round?

i think Maranta was our most improved player last year. He struggled badly this year though.

I confess i don't remember Wapau and I don't recall Lui all that much either.

Kemp was involved in some spectacular tries but I'm not sure he added much overall. Ditto with Minto.

I don't remember much of Michaels - he seemed like an ok player but I don't recall any big moments for good or bad.

Perry doesn't belong in that side. He could teach Ben Hunt a thing or two about managing a game, taking pressure off your halves partner and putting in a decent kick every once in a while.

Hala and Whitchurch - too many long term injuries sadly.

Baptiste is turning out some solid work for the Raiders off the bench. Good luck to him.

Any takers on Stuart Kelly? Motu Tony?

Nice one mate - just realised you pulled a Wikipedia on me. I was just using the memory but just a touch off. Must be commonplace to research before a basic post hey..

No need for poopy-pants. That WAS from memory, I remember the build-up to his debut, the replay of him beating 4 opponents to score a try for (Redcliffe???).

Active Now

• Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • Astro
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Tmac
  • Brocko
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Stix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.