NEWS Andrew McCullough’s complicated contract a headache for Broncos

There's a reason he's up in the box in the coaches ear. He's not a dumb footy player. Having such a young team you need those older players in the team. You also don't let those players go or leave them in Q Cup if you want the team morale to stay high. He's a good example for the younger players. The finals experience he's gained over the years will be important later in the year. But don't worry about my opinion. Lets just wait and see what the savior thinks in a few weeks.

And he certainly doesn't give away the penalties Turpin has been, putting us under more unnecessary pressure than we need to be under.
Bullshit.
Losing finals games experience is outweighed by winning games in general
Turpin hasn't lost one yet

And that is fair enough, but again, the buck stops with Wayne, just as it does with Seibold and did with Griffin.

If the performance isn’t up to scratch and is getting worse relative to the top teams, then something has to change. Either our expectations or the roster or the coach. None of the above changed after we were smashed 30 nil by Melbourne in 2017.

Should we accept the likes of Cult3 who appears to think nothing should have changed after we were smashed by the Dragons in 2018, either?

Just keep going on this path of getting smashed by whoever we happen to play in the finals and all is well?
When did I say that? We should have made plenty of changes. Korbin Sims, for example. He was a huge reason we lost that game. Where is he now?

He did nothing? Our current forward pack is one of the best groups of young forwards I've ever seen. He got rid of plenty of undeserving players to make this team. You can't just drop half of your team when they're not even performing that badly. The last game of the season was not indicative of our season, no matter how hard you want to push it.

As I said, I’ve never bagged Wayne for everything he did, you don’t seem to bag him for ANYTHING he did, so Pete has the right idea ‘in the middle’.

Regardless of the good things he did, we went backwards. Our performance as a club for 3 out of his 4 years were not good enough and his obstinate refusal to change left the club with little option in my opinion. You feel different. Congrats. Go and rewatch that Dragons game and tell me all was well under Wayne’s hand...

Turpins service might be faster but its more inaccurate than McCullough's. He makes the person catching the ball jump or spin to catch pretty often. I think Turpin's service is overrated slightly and Macca's is underrated (Until the last 20 minutes of a game). I'm not really saying anything bad about Turpin though and in my opinion I've never given him unwarranted criticism. All I've ever said is he didn't earn his starting spot in Q Cup as he was playing terribly for Redcliffe (I actually watched a few games) and that he gives away stupid penalties. With a team full of dummies we need less of that from our spine players.
The **** you on about.. you've literally got them around the wrong way.
Turpin's service is leagues above

No, what I’m saying is I wanted an improved performance from the team. If Wayne couldn’t find a better halfback than Kodi in the entire NRL, just as he apparently couldn’t find a better hooker than McCullough, then perhaps he should have been sacked before last year...
He did though. He literally signed O'Sullivan. He literally signed Deaden, Paix and every other player currently at the club. We keep talking about patience with Seibold, but that doesn't work when talking about Bennett who was playing the long game by signing the best group of young forwards and the best group of young halves in the game at the moment?

When did I say that? We should have made plenty of changes. Korbin Sims, for example. He was a huge reason we lost that game. Where is he now?

He signed with the Dragons in July 2018...

As I said, I’ve never bagged Wayne for everything he did, you don’t seem to bag him for ANYTHING he did, so Pete has the right idea ‘in the middle’.

Regardless of the good things he did, we went backwards. Our performance as a club for 3 out of his 4 years were not good enough and his obstinate refusal to change left the club with little option in my opinion. You feel different. Congrats. Go and rewatch that Dragons game and tell me all was well under Wayne’s hand...
I didn't feel need to join the pile on thats happened in almost every thread since he re-signed with us. I don't agree with everything he's done but when you're calling him out for bullshit like you have been nobody should just sit back and allow it. I've bagged Wayne, I've bagged Hunt, I've bagged McCullough, I've bagged Boyd. I've also praised Seibold, Milford and Turpin but that's never noticed for whatever reason. I'm happy to move on with Seibold now that it's happened but I'm not going to let people attempt to change history and make things up or leave things out

He signed with the Dragons in July 2018...
Yes because he wasn't part of our future plans and nobody was knocking the door down to take his spot. He probably wouldn't have been there at all if our representative forward wasn't out with a broken neck.

He did though. He literally signed O'Sullivan. He literally signed Deaden, Paix and every other player currently at the club. We keep talking about patience with Seibold, but that doesn't work when talking about Bennett who was playing the long game by signing the best group of young forwards and the best group of young halves in the game at the moment?

Patience? People have been calling for Seibold’s head after 4 GAMES... Bennett had four YEARS mate and he took the club backwards. He lost Ash Taylor and Ben Hunt and ran with Nikorima as his halfback for as long as he was allowed to do so. Same with McCullough. He signed depth players for both positions, yet never used them. You can make all the excuses you like ‘he was playing a long game’ okay, but we’re not in a rebuilding phase, remember?

This is deadset bizzaro world, where somehow the coach isn’t responsible or to be held accountable for his team’s continued pathetic performances at the business end of the year...

All of that doesn’t matter even when he is playing some ‘long game’ as you put it, all the while negotiating with Gus Gould at Penrith and later Souths when he doesn’t get what he wants (ie: a contract extension).

Good luck with your opinion mate. In mine, the club absolutely did the right thing. Whatever he is doing now, he wasn’t doing for us, the performances showed that, and that alone should have seen him gone ages ago. It did lesser coaches...

Getting back on topic, McCullough should be coming back in to the team through Q-Cup, IMHO. If he is good enought to start in this team and push out Turpin / Segeyaro through performance in Q-Cup so be it, and we’ll be stronger for it. But this so-called loyalty he is entitled to, should be a two way street. Loyalty should be given for as long as performance is...

Wayne of all people should understand that. The same guy who sacked Wally Lewis after all, for that very thing...

Last edited:
Yeah Wayne really should have made changes to the team after the finals match against st George

Yeah, because that was the only game we played poorly that year...

You want people to stop revising history? Maybe lead by example.

Yeah, because that was the only game we played poorly that year...

You want people to stop revising history? Maybe lead by example.

We played well more than we played poorly. Our poor matches against weak opposition were always preceded by dispatching top 4 teams.

We played well more than we played poorly. Our poor matches against weak opposition were always preceded by dispatching top 4 teams.

Except when it mattered, we got flogged. Just like 2017 and 2016...

2015 we were mentally too weak to close out a GF.

None of that is on Bennett though...

Last edited:
Except when it mattered, we got flogged. Just like 2017 and 2016...

2015 we were mentally too weak to close out a GF.

None of that is on Bennett though...

What the **** are you so salty about?

What the **** are you so salty about?

Just an argumentative f*cker I s’pose...

But my opinion is the club did the right thing in moving Wayne on. Personally I would have done it sooner. The team during his tenure hadn’t lost it’s mentally weak attitude it learned under Griffin and when the big moments and games came, we folded. That is on the coach, who didn’t see such failure as an issue...

Anyhow I’m done with speaking about Wayne. He isn’t our coach and won’t have any say in the McCullough / Turpin / Segeyaro conundrum.

The most pleasing aspect of our new look spine is how much pressure it's taken off our defence. Apart from the new tacklebots themselves, we are actually tiring out the opposition in attack rather than just handing the ball to them after a perfunctory set of 6.

He lost Ash Taylor and Ben Hunt and ran with Nikorima as his halfback for as long as he was allowed to do so.

I still haven't quite figured out the reason he persisted with Nikorima for so long and didn't really make any attempts to replace him long-term, like, we had a cameo from Benji, a couple of young Halfback depth signings that left a lot to be desired (O'Sullivan, Scarlett, Murphy & Dargan), but there was really no genuine attempt from him to sign a sure thing at Halfback to partner Milford.

A part of me thinks it was pure stubbornness, he wanted to make the Milford & Nikorima combination work because otherwise he'd look the fool for letting Taylor and (to a much lesser extent) Hunt walk when they were both more than happy to stay.

I have no doubt he would've shown the same stubbornness when it came to McCullough & Boyd as well, we wouldn't even be having this discussion about McCullough if Bennett was coach, because we'd know Macca would be back in the second he was at 60% fitness. I think Seibold is different, he's already proven that by acknowledging that the Milforima experiment had run it's course.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • bazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncos4life
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • Mustafur
  • Browny
  • cento
  • Morkel
  • Nerd
  • Footy Fanatic
  • BroncosAlways
  • Organix
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Jazza
  • dasherhalo
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.