Andrew McCullough - The Great Enigma

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Bit easier for the bloke who is the captain of club, state & country to do so than a bloke who, although as a lot of games under his belt is not the senior member of the team. It's really hard to compare the two at he stages of their careers. However in saying that, he does really need to work on directing the team around. I actually think he's played his best games when hunt & Norman have been in the halves.
I could understand that if Lockyer was still in the team, but we have Wallace and Prince, neither of them have covered themselves in glory and neither of them are considered long term prospects.

If McCullough is intimidated by their presence, he'll never ever make the next step. Not only that, but does he need to be 30 until he feels comfortable? Does he have proper belief in himself? That's next question I'd be asking, why can't he or why is he unwilling to step up and give orders? Or perhaps he is and no one is following them? So many factors...

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I could understand that if Lockyer was still in the team, but we have Wallace and Prince, neither of them have covered themselves in glory and neither of them are considered long term prospects.

If McCullough is intimidated by their presence, he'll never ever make the next step. Not only that, but does he need to be 30 until he feels comfortable? Does he have proper belief in himself? That's next question I'd be asking, why can't he or why is he unwilling to step up and give orders? Or perhaps he is and no one is following them? So many factors...

I don't think it's a lack of belief that he can't organize prince/Wallace. I don't think they listen to him. He always appears to be talking on the field they just think they know best. This all sounds like last year again to me where every player takes their turn to cop it for the failings of our halves. First it was our fullbacks job that we weren't scoring points, then the centres/wingers (even though its hard to score when you don't get the ball), then the forwards were responsible and now it's hooker. It's like each player has to be a star because our halves are shit. I think it has now gotta to the point that we have to give up on the halves because although they aren't cutting it they can't/won't be replaced so everyone else will have to pick up the slack

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Bit easier for the bloke who is the captain of club, state & country to do so than a bloke who, although as a lot of games under his belt is not the senior member of the team. It's really hard to compare the two at he stages of their careers. However in saying that, he does really need to work on directing the team around. I actually think he's played his best games when hunt & Norman have been in the halves.

He won player of the year last year. He should be confident enough to speak up. I think he is a senior member of the side these days. Over 100 games. I think he can be better than what he has shown us.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Re: Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Hey guys,
first post on the page after reading on for a good month now.
I wasn't to sure about Cameron Smith coming to the Broncos when I first heard it however the day after I read about it, was before the Broncos played the Warriors at home, and McCullough was playing second row. He's had other small stints in this position since, obviously a long shot but having the rumour and positional change happen coincidentally maybe they could be trying different positions to provide Smith the number 9.
Welcome Jaggle
Macca is not big enough for 2nd row, not fast enough for a half or outside back so if he wants to play NRL he needs to pull his finger out at hooker

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

Welcome Jaggle
Macca is not big enough for 2nd row, not fast enough for a half or outside back so if he wants to play NRL he needs to pull his finger out at hooker

Let me break it down in a few simple points, McCullough:

- Can't Pass
- Can't Kick
- Too Slow
- Too Small
- Shit Eating Grin

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

This isn't really even a discussion anymore it's just dishing out on our players. Should just the title to "macca sucks" and close the thread

People have a different opinion on Macca compared to you. Big deal. Get over it. It is in the wrong thread though.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

People have a different opinion on Macca compared to you. Big deal. Get over it. It is in the wrong thread though.

Sorry I didn't realise I was in the wrong thread, I made a mistake obviously.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Sorry I didn't realise I was in the wrong thread, I made a mistake obviously.
It's now in the right thread...

Re Macca, I don't think he deserves the flak he's copping here, much in the same way Wallace doesn't, but we can't stick our heads in the sand and ignore the fact he needs to show improvement, especially with execution speed, where he leaves a lot to be desired in his decision making and service to the halves in the opposition's last 30.
I do think he's been pretty good getting us regularly on the front foot coming out of our own half.

Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
He showed promise in his first couple of years, I think many thought he'd be the next Cam Smith and eventually play Origin especially when he would pop out of dummy half and kick a 40/20. He's a half that was moved to hooker and his kicking game should have been an asset, instead all we see is a heavy tackle count, a slow crab pass and the all too frequent "go yourself" option. But in a team with 3 kickers already in Wallace, Prince and Norman, we'll probably never see that, and with the lack of practice, the few kicks we will see won't be amazing.

With a spine of

1) Barba/locke/gardner
6) Hoffman/barba/milford
7) Hunt/Wallace
9) Macca

I think we'd see Macca step up and thrive with the kicking duties falling on the 7/9.

Last edited:
Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I thought he was pretty good last night. Definitely serviced the halves well. Not his fault they chose to **** it up pretty much every time they got the ball.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Yeah I'll back that he was solid lastnight. Great tackling technique. Not quite so slow with his passing. I'd like to see him kick more in general play TBH.

Under a real coach, and under some pressure to keep his spot, I think he could be one of the better hookers in the comp over time. He COULD be a Smith-type player - under a good coach.

Under Hook, he'll continue to stagnate.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I don't care how well he played, Baptise and Granville need to be given a shot.

One of Macca or Hunt has to **** off and real soon, we've had two very good 9's in reserves for a while now (Baptise and Granville) but neither has ever been given more than 80 minutes of first grade within the last few years...

Seriously I don't care what happens, Hunt needs to piss of and start playing reserves and next week we must have either Granville or Baptise on the bench, enough of this halfback on the bench playing hooker shit. Put a real hooker to play hooker.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
I never really warmed to McCullough, not a fan. I actually think the best thing for broncos and himself would be a change of clubs. He hasn't kicked on after enough time to cement himself for whatever reason and I think a change of clubs might be the kick in the pants as well as maybe a different team structure that he needs.
if there is one player my non bronco league mates give me shit about during the games it is McCullough (now becoming Maranta)

what I would like to know is the reason behind not seeing Granville other than those couple of games he played off the bench. I though he added real spark out of dummy half, kind of like a Segeyaro.

I agree with others that the McCullough/Hunt combo just doesn't work. One needs to go. My preference is Granville to replace Hunt on bench and McCullough to be kindly told thanks for your service but feel free to look for another club once your contract finishes.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I don't think he played any better or any worse than usual last night.

There were still glaring instances of him being horribly slow from dummy half. He can tackle, that's about it

Great another Peter Wallace in the team

One was surely enough !!!!

B

Buzz Killington

NYC Player
Jul 6, 2013
McCullough was woeful last night. He got pushed backwards by the ball carrier on almost every tackle (he was essentially ineffective in defence) and as per usual his service from dummy half was directionless and slow, he is the slowest hooker on the planet!

Unread

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fitzy
  • Lostboy
  • Dee
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Alec
  • upthebroncs
  • The True King
  • BooKhaki
  • Xzei
  • davidp
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Canga
  • Porthoz
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.