Andrew McCullough - The Great Enigma

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Re: Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

IMHO macca gets way too harsh a wrap on here.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Jake Friend? Quick service, quick thinking, quick out of dummy half and gets through almost as much work in defence as McCullough. I'd say he's the 3rd best hooker in the world at the moment.

Ok...

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

IMHO macca gets way too harsh a wrap on here.
Actually compared to other members in the spine his been treated probably the least harshest.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Deservedly so too given the other members include a five eigth parading around as a fullback, old man Prince and a ranga halfback.

It wasn't even a year ago Roosters fans were making the exact same criticisms of Friend. He's a good player and hey isn't as bad as Peats but really unless Smith or Farah made themselves available I don't see any point in recruiting for the starting #9 position.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Deservedly so too given the other members include a five eigth parading around as a fullback, old man Prince and a ranga halfback.

It wasn't even a year ago Roosters fans were making the exact same criticisms of Friend. He's a good player and hey isn't as bad as Peats but really unless Smith or Farah made themselves available I don't see any point in recruiting for the starting #9 position.

Dunno about that, his a good defender and can pull off the good kick every now and then but his obsession to attack a well guarded try line over and over, average speed, passing game, if we want serious change we can't just look to address certain sections of our spine and leave others intact when that still leaves issues to address, I'm not saying his a terrible player nor that he can't improve but there has to come a point where other options should be examined and its not far off that IMO.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Are you sure Pete? Cause apparently friend is world class. I was surprised to learn this too, but he is.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Pete is also the biggest McCullough fan on the site. I dislike Friend, but he's clearly a star, and has been for at least the last 2 years.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

But buying a contemporary who just happens to be in better form at this minute isn't really a smart idea, especially when we have very capable hookers coming through the ranks.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

I wouldn't say his world class, but there are certainly areas we could really use in his game that McCollough lacks.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

But buying a contemporary who just happens to be in better form at this minute isn't really a smart idea, especially when we have very capable hookers coming through the ranks.
I didn't necessarily mean we had to go to the market, but at the same time when we do have other very capable hookers coming through the ranks we can't keep holding them back. I'm still prepared to give him time but theres only so much more we should be prepared to.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

I'd love to see one of our two QLD cup hookers get a decent chance, but purely because I'd hate to see Macca continue to dud it up for years to come. I doubt either one will in the same class as Friend though.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

Jake Friend is no cameron smith (who is though?), but hes one of the best hookers in the game without a doubt. compared to mccullough he may as well be cam smith.

I have no doubt that Friend will be the QLD hooker when Smith retires.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Friend is in form this year. Last year most of his own fans wanted him gone. It's a lot easier to look 'world class' when you are surrounded by the players the roosters have, just ask Mitchell Pearce

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'm no fan of Macca, I've made that clear in the past but he's not anywhere near our biggest problem, he's the last person in the spine who needs replacing unless of course we magically got Farah or Smith for NEXT year but neither will happen so for the time being Macca is our hooker and hopefully Baptise/Granville can star and put real pressure on Macca's spot in the team.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Macca's alright. There's a huge drop off after Smith, Farah, and Isaac Luke. Expecting a DH to be at their level is asking a bit much.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I didn't necessarily mean we had to go to the market, but at the same time when we do have other very capable hookers coming through the ranks we can't keep holding them back. I'm still prepared to give him time but theres only so much more we should be prepared to.

Perhaps.

Right now the future of Andrew McCullough isn't a priority. Yes, McCullough has his faults and members are free to critique them, even I, apparently his #1 fan am guilty of critiquing his play from time to time. However, there are more pressing matters for the club, some they have a degree of control over, others they don't. Right now, I believe that focus should be on the backs.

In the mean time, I believe there is plenty of merit in presenting Baptiste and Granville an opportunity on the bench. I believe they are our most deserving players in reserve grade and would like to think the consensus agrees with me on that thought. Again, I feel like they have fallen victim due to the Broncos current relationship in the Queensland Cup and dearly hope that situation is rectified swiftly.

However, this talk of signing Jake Friend comes across as a short sighted and unrealistic option. When his contract does expire, for 2016, I believe the Broncos will weigh up their options then but as of right now he is of no concern to us.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Are they ever going to get a chance though? Baptiste isn't even signed for next year and there have been talks of him leaving.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
McCullough will do better with hunt in the halves. The few games last season when Norman & Hunt were in the halves they all seemed to click. The game against Canberra was a standout.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • whykickamoocow
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • DMZ
  • Wolfie
  • mrslong
  • Mister Wright
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.