Andrew McCullough unfazed by having to replace Cameron Smith

Why do people want to bring in an old, busted, and over the hill Slater. The year for changing big positions is now, and we want to bring him into 2 games only to have to go through finding who to put back there again next year? Seriously dumb for mine.

We do have someone we can pick next year - Ponga. Once he gets more experience in first grade.

For all the talk pre-game from Wallace and Arrow they both did zilch. Wallace three carries all night. In an origin game WTAF!!
Bring in Scott, Joffa and Oates drop Wallace, Arrow and Chambers. Slater really left us in the lurch pulling out after Sunday's big run. I say leave him out and either put Morgo back to the bench and bring in Ponga at the same dropping MILF. At present MILF has lost some of his Mo-Jo he needs some serious success with the Broncs to get his confidence back and instil some fear back into the teams defending against him. At the moment he seems like a one trick pony with that fake left step right move. Forwards are reading him and he's been getting creamed on a regular basis. Chambers has played well before in origin but I think he has peaked. Last night was not even NRL standard from him. I'd also love to know the real reason Smith pulled the pin only weeks before origin kicked off. Our greatest winning origin captain not wanting to go round for his last hurrah with his buddy Billy. Something wrong there? Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall.

Bring in Scott, Joffa and Oates drop Wallace, Arrow and Chambers.

Wallace - 35 minutes, 5 runs, 52 metres, 25 tackles, 2 missed, 0 errors
Hess - 33 minutes, 7 runs, 48 metres, 24 tackles, 1 missed, 1 error
Arrow - 25 minutes, 7 runs, 62 metres, 22 tackles, 0 missed, 0 errors

None of them were great, but Arrow was clearly more effective than Hess & Wallace, I'd drop both of them well before I drop Arrow.

I thought Arrow went OK on debut. Better than Napa, Wallace, Cooper or Hess at least. Our forwards have definitely been underperforming under Walters though. Feels like the backs have to bail them out each time.

Arrow is a star in the making, without a doubt. This is the reason that I believ McGuire should go to prop so that Arrow can play big minutes. To see the best of arrow, he needs more minutes.
Yep, Arrows a workhorse with skills. Name him at 13 now and watch him evolve into Qld's lock for the next decade...And Moose back at starting Prop with Papa.
Is Scott injured or just down on form?, I think he still has something to add to the side so I'd have him on the bench with Wallace and Offa!

I thought our front row was a little soft in the running. Chambers was ordinary, as was munster. That said I wouldn't be making wholesale changes. Scott would come in for Hess/arrow, Gillet for papalli/kafusi and slater for milf.
Scott starts depending on fitness, with napa. Gillet and kafusi/papalli 2nd row, maguire at lock.
Not sure with Munster at 5/8 or chambers at centre but changing them now would be too disruptive. I don't like the idea of Morgan at centre either, but he could fill in as the utility if need be. DCE must be a chance with a vein of hot form between now and game 2. Club form will be pretty important for a few positions.
Oates and ponga are in with a chance too (if gagai moves inside)
They all have to show they are ready for a call up/retention.

Yep, Arrows a workhorse with skills. Name him at 13 now and watch him evolve into Qld's lock for the next decade...And Moose back at starting Prop with Papa.
Is Scott injured or just down on form?, I think he still has something to add to the side so I'd have him on the bench with Wallace and Offa!

Scott is way down on form. Prob cause of his injury.

I’m really unsure of Munster also. Hunt is definitely in the side but should be paired with a Cronk or DCE.

Im not a fan of kent but something he said after our team was picked really hit the nail on the head. Nsw’s team really stood for something and had a real target-a fresh start, picking in form and speed were the obvious goals with the squad...

What were/are ours? A fresh start with younger players? (kicked out boyd and scott yet we picked cooper, even inglis and slater if not for injury), picked on form? (Dont pick boyd and scott but we picked cooper, morgan and hess), dont pick due to being underdone because of injury? (Dont pick scott but pick mcguire), was it speed or experience? Defence or attack? What was the actual target of this team? The forward pack doesnt have the metres in it yet doesnt make up for it in skill or defence or intimidation... i know we dont have the depth of nsw at the moment but surely everytime you look at a rep team whether you agree with some choices or not you should be able to say “thats why hes chosen them and scrapped them”... the selections were contradictory, big time

Cannot agree with any of that at all... quite often macca was racing out if the line to put hits on. I've never seen him do that before but it appeared he had a real directive to lead the line speed.

Also his service was great I can only recall one slowish pass which went to McGuire on the 4th but it looked like he wanted to get it out to Hunt who was the next receiver but McGuire was literally directly between the two.

A lot of his passes were crisp and beating 2-3 defenders to get hunt in motion... the issue was they had no plan on the back.

We also looked horrendous when Hunt moved into dummy half. The right side received no ball and Hunt was stifling the service by not knowing who to pass it to. At one point Milf wanted it when he first got on and was screaming towards the advantage line but Hunt instead went blindside got caught and threw a garbage offload to GI who almost dropped it.

I don't see how you can blame macca when our forwards actually won the yardage battle and quite easily as well. The kicking on the back of our sets killed us. We also totally lost our way when macca left the field.

I'm sick of this copy paste macca's slow service BS... come with some evidence instead of throwing out broad statement claims over and over again.

Thank you!!! Totally agree!

The only one tackling on our right side last night was Hunt. Kaufusi and Chambers thought they were playing a touch football game.

Why do people want to bring in an old, busted, and over the hill Slater. The year for changing big positions is now, and we want to bring him into 2 games only to have to go through finding who to put back there again next year? Seriously dumb for mine.

Why dumb? We have lost a ton of spine experience and Slater is likely greatest fullback (outside of Lockyer debate) QLD ever had. He’s also playing better than most guys we’ve picked. Smith looks a bit subpar but no one suggesting wouldnt have had him in a heartbeat. Transitions are ideally managed rather than sh*tfest mass exodus and injury burdens.

Besides next in line is likely Ponga who has barely played NRL. Give the young bloke a solid year at fullback before risk throwing him in too early. Ponga hopefully solves fullback succession for next 10-15 years. So let’s focus on big picture here.

Game 2, I’d be going:

1. Slater
2. Oates
3. Inglis (c)
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. Hunt
8. Napa
9. McCullough
10. Scott
11. Kaufusi
12. Papalii
13. Arrow

14. Morgan
15. McGuire
16. Hess
17. Ofahengaue

Game 2, I’d be going:

1. Slater
2. Oates
3. Inglis (c)
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. Hunt
8. Napa
9. McCullough
10. Scott
11. Kaufusi
12. Papalii
13. Arrow

14. Morgan
15. McGuire
16. Hess
17. Ofahengaue

No way arrow should get a start over Mcguire and munster should be fullback with milf at 6 .
Billy's body is tiring and we need some spark in attack, and i think munster at the back and milf and hunt as halves could be lethal.

Slater is still twice the fullback Munster is. His recent serious injuries have mostly been upper body, he’s still one of the most elusive players in the comp.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Dazza 92
  • Broncs1459
  • Astro
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • Spoon
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.