Anthony Milford could find way into Test squad

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Former Test skipper Gorden Tallis believes Broncos star Anthony Milford is all but certain to be part of the Kangaroos Four Nations squad after watching him completely dismantle a hapless Newcastle outfit on Saturday night.

Already hampered by injuries to experienced forward Robbie Rochow, Jeremy Smith and Kade Snowden, the Knights chances of causing an upset against the competition leaders ended the minute veteran five-eighth Jarrod Mullen left the field early with concussion.

In fact, by the end of the game, Newcastle coach Nathan Brown had just one fit player available on his bench, after winger Nathan Ross and hooker Tyler Randall were also taken from the field following head knocks.

While both coaches acknowledged the loss of the trio as being key to the one-sided, 10 tries to nil result, it is difficult to imagine that Newcastle could have found a way to contain Milford even if their full complement of players were allowed on the field at the same time.

With halves partner Ben Hunt continuing his solid recent form, the Broncos looked to be playing a different game to their opponents.

Between them the Brisbane halves ran for close to 300 metres, scored four tries, had four try assists, four line breaks and five line break assists. And while Hunt may have been the main man last season, 2016 appears to be something of a coming-of-age year for Milford, who is, at present, the most dangerous offensive threat in the game.

“He just has so many different ways he can hurt you and his combination with Hunt is so dynamic,” Tallis said yesterday.

“As a Queenslander it hurts to think he isn’t available this season but it won’t be long before he is one of the first picked when representative football comes around.”

Part of the eight players who broke curfew at the pre-season Emerging Origin camp, Milford has been ruled out of contention for the Maroons this season — a ban which has become increasingly scrutinised as Queensland’s backline stocks thin by the week.

After Justin Hodges retirement last season, new Maroons coach Kevin Walters must also contend with loss of Test pair Billy Slater (shoulder) and Will Chambers (foot).

Then there is the concern over the form of superstar Rabbitohs captain Greg Inglis, whose ability to play fullback as he nurses what is clearly a major and chronic knee complaint is under serious doubt.

With Cowboys utility Michael Morgan the first call-up into the starting side, Milford’s presence on the bench would have provided Walters the sort of strike and versatility any coach would crave.

However, with Walters and Test coach Mal Meninga making clear the fact the ban will not be reviewed before season’s end — the discussion is moot.

Once grand final day comes and goes, however, it is different story entirely, with Meninga last week leaving the door open for the inclusion of players on the list for the Australia’s end-of-season tournament.

“I think it's important that I follow the state’s punishment or sentence,’’ Meninga said.

“It's all about behaviour and you don't want to bring the game into disrepute.

“They've shown the Queensland program that they’re not mature enough to handle representative football.

‘‘But we’ve got the Four Nations at the end of the season, so we’ll make some more judgments at the back end of the year.’’

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/38dcb3e9a31cb0a70e245f455bc76947

Mal just said in an interview on the Matty Johns show that he will follow Qld's lead in this matter, so it ain't happening.

Isn't the story about the end of season squad, not the Anzac squad? Is the ban for exactly 12 months? Or does it end after the origin series?

well not for the anzac test, but theyre talking about 4Ns..

if he carries this form thru the end of the season and some actual contests it would take a miracle grand final winning tedesco field goal or a morgan back-to-back sealing hattrick to see anyone get the utility spot ahead of milf.. unless mal goes with 4 fwds for some incomprehensible reason

This just goes to show that QLD overreacting to the Emerging Maroons drama because the media typically decided to beat it up was monumentally stupid.

This just goes to show that QLD overreacting to the Emerging Maroons drama because the media typically decided to beat it up was monumentally stupid.

Or QLD want to be different to NSW and hold our players to a higher standard of professionalism

Or QLD only doing something because the info was leaked to the media and they couldn't sweep it under the rug.

Even so, if it was NSW, they would have said they are fining the players some small amount and banning them for insert however many weeks until the origin series.

Or QLD want to be different to NSW and hold our players to a higher standard of professionalism

Oh come on.

1. Nothing would have been done if the media didn't get a hold of it.

2. Higher standard of professionalism? They went out for a few more drinks. QLD origin folklore is built on late night 'bonding sessions' fuelled by XXXX. I'm sure Kevvie always followed a curfew.

Make no mistake, this 'hard stance' will be judged on the result of this years series.

If we win it will be pats on the back all round, "how great that we could teach these young fellas a lesson and prioritise their development over results".

However if we lose and it was deemed that guys like Milford, Hunt & Napa etc. would have been the difference, QLD will be a laughing stock for shooting themselves in the foot over a few mates bonding over a couple of beers. The media will run with and cry we have gone away from roots and Kevvie will feel the full force of it. All those that publicly backed his stance will be strangely silent.

I support the ban 110%. Reckon anyone in future Emerging squads will pull a stunt like this again? What if the ban was lifted? This can only be good for Qld's future.

There may have been a different result had Walters been further into his tenure as QLD coach. Probably felt he needed to show some toughness.

Australia isn't Queensland, so I can't believe he's been black listed completely. Horrible start to Mal's tenure.

Support both Mal and Kev 110% for this. And B4L it is not just about the result of this series - but the the next ten - Milf definitely looks like he could be a mainstay for that long. If the Maroons do lose he will be absolutely kicking himself that he wasn't out there playing. Same with Napa (not necessarily the 10 years part). Players need to have respect in the QLD jearsy and the coach - and this lesson is something he will carry through for the rest of his career and hopefully instill in the next generation down the track.

As for Mal posted my thoughts on the other rep round thread - but it's about instilling pride in the jearsy and making it something players must earn - he won't chop or change or pick the flavour of the month like sheens anyway. I'd be surprised to see anyone picked who hasn't proven themselves in origin, and rightly so.

For all the people who support the ban in spite of the result, do you honestly believe that no one else has ever 'broken the curfew'? Media and fans are acting like this has never happened before, which I find incredibly hard to believe.

FTR I am happy they won't be playing, Broncos before QLD for me every day of the week and like Nashy said the less Broncos playing the better. That being said it is always about results, anyone that thinks different is kidding themselves.

Last edited:
Well first I think we should only consider Mal's tenure as coach - it's not useful to compare different era's in this regard as the level of professionalism/standards set by the coach differ immensely.

But in seriousness can you imagine Thurston, Smith, Locky and leaders of that caliber breaking curfew, or allowing their teammates to?

It's also worth noting the senior team probably aren't treated very differently to the emerging boys. The great leaders QLD have had would set high standards and I doubt Mal would feel the need to set as stricter curfew. For the emerging boys however there's more value in setting something strict like that and who seeing who has enough respect in the Maroons system to follow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well first I think we should only consider Mal's tenure as coach - it's not useful to compare different era's in this regard as the level of professionalism/standards set by the coach differ immensely.

But in seriousness can you imagine Thurston, Smith, Locky and leaders of that caliber breaking curfew, or allowing their teammates to?

It's also worth noting the senior team probably aren't treated very differently to the emerging boys. The great leaders QLD have had would set high standards and I doubt Mal would feel the need to set as stricter curfew. For the emerging boys however there's more value in setting something strict like that and who seeing who has enough respect in the Maroons system to follow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily disagree with that, it also doesn't change the fact that results will trump culture.

When you are winning you can do whatever you want without questioning, you lose and people will question and point fingers. That's not right or wrong, that is just the way things are.

As I said in my first post, if we win the series the bans will be unquestioned and Kevvie will be praised for instilling/reinforcing a strong culture. If we lose and it is deemed due to the unavailability of these players, the same people that praised the decision will call it heavy handed and over the top.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, it also doesn't change the fact that results will trump culture.

When you are winning you can do whatever you want without questioning, you lose and people will question and point fingers. That's not right or wrong, that is just the way things are.

As I said in my first post, if we win the series the bans will be unquestioned and Kevvie will be praised for instilling/reinforcing a strong culture. If we lose and it is deemed due to the unavailability of these players, the same people that praised the decision will call it heavy handed and over the top.

I don't think that'll be the case, and if it is, I won't agree with it. The fingers need to be pointed directly at the players that broke curfew. If we lose, I'll be filthy at Milford, Holmes etc, not Walters.

Have players played up before? I'm sure they have. Taylor falling out of bed was clearly bullshit as no flooring system can handle that kind of kinetic energy. Let's just hypothetically say that there was more to that story - how well did covering it up work? Did Taylor learn his lesson? Did he come back more determined and disciplined, ready to sacrifice in order to further his representative career?

Active Now

• lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • peter09
  • Waynesaurus
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Stix
  • Morkel
  • broncs30
  • Broncosgirl
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.