RUMOUR Anthony Milford to the Storm

Maroons great Gary Belcher says Broncos must up ante to keep Anthony Milford

MELBOURNE are attempting to blow Brisbane out of the water after tabling a club-record $1.2 million offer to poach Broncos sensation Anthony Milford.
But Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has hit back, ramping up his involvement in negotiations as Brisbane move to secure Milford to a four-year, $4 million deal.
Any doubts over the legitimacy of Melbourne’s interest have been put to bed with the club dangling a $1.2m carrot after Milford flew south last week to meet with coach Craig Bellamy.
The Broncos are aware of Milford’s trip to inspect the Storm set-up, which occurred after last week’s 32-18 defeat of Penrith.

As it stands, Melbourne and the Broncos will have just one marquee playmaker on their books next season in Milford — triggering a big-money scrap for his services.
Bennett rarely loses players he wants to keep and vowed to retain the man he is grooming to spearhead the Broncos for the next 10 years.
“I’m confident of keeping Anthony,” Bennett said.
Asked if he was surprised by Melbourne’s eleventh-hour poaching bid, Bennett said: “No I’m not, Anthony is a talented player and a guy of his ability is always going to attract interest.
“But we’re continuing negotiations and I’m still confident he will stay here.”

If money is the sole consideration, Milford will join the Storm.
Their massive offer would make him the highest-paid player in Melbourne’s 19-year history _ eclipsing the $1 million deals for Storm duo Cameron Smith and Billy Slater.
But the Broncos aren’t sitting idle. Originally the parties discussed a three-year, $2.7m deal. Now Brisbane will make Milford their first $1 million player as they thrash out a four-year term that includes NRL-approved third-party agreements.
Milford still lives at home with his parents in the Brisbane suburb of Inala and the Broncos are banking on his family ties — and relationship with Bennett — to keep him at Red Hill.
Milford is in Samoan camp preparing for Friday night’s Test against Bennett’s England side and was tight-lipped about his future at training on Wednesday night.

But Melbourne’s interest gives Milford bargaining power. Queensland fullback legend Gary Belcher insists the Broncos can’t afford to have their scrumbase torn apart, with Milford’s halves partner Ben Hunt joining the Dragons next season on a $5.4m deal.
“If Ben Hunt got more than $1 million at the Dragons, then Milford should be getting more than him,” said Belcher, a former Broncos strength-and-conditioning coach.
“I still think the Broncos are in the box seat, but is Milford testing the market because he’s not happy with Brisbane’s offer in the first place?
“It would be a massive blow if the Broncos lost Milford and I’d say they will go all out to keep him.
“Milford would be a great fit for Melbourne. They have some great young kids coming through like Cam Munster and Brodie Croft, so they have some options.
“If Milford doesn’t get a package of $1.2 million a season, he is entitled to look elsewhere.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/b174e86b034da21e6f61701282235eff

And now when he does eventually re-sign with us it must be because we offered more.. it's quite brilliant from the media actually

There really needs to be a 2nd team in Melbourne. They have a whole state of players to choose from and have no competition for that market allowing them free raid over players on the market because they are able to keep local players at a smaller value to remain close to home.

Does that sound like a fair argument to anyone? #toungeincheek
How many NRL players in Melbourne team are Victorian born and bred? I can't think of any, or for that matter, Victorians across the whole NRL. I don't know what the ARL does in Victoria, but whatever it does isn't enough. The whole point of the storm is to grow the game down there. From what I know, the storm has a profile, but it seems to be seriously under-utilized. Its a parasite for Brisbane juniors and ARL money and that is fair enough to a point, but its over 10 years down the track since their inception and there's bugger all that has come through the local ranks for them. I can't think that there are no junior athletes capable of playing league down there. Not everyone is built for afl. Something is seriously broken, if that is the nrl's idea of success, and God help us all if there were two "storms".
Better a second Brisbane team, or an Ipswich/redcliffe one. They at least have juniors playing the game.

It will be an absolute recruiting masterstroke if we give Ash Taylor away and then within 2 seasons lose both Hunt and Milford. That would certainly take some beating.

Oh me! oh my !

"The Broncos are aware of Milford’s trip to inspect the Storm set-up, which occurred after last week’s 32-18 defeat of Penrith."

So much for this kid wanting to be back in Brisbane with his family. If he lies and bullshits to the NRL and the Raiders - you can bet he will do the same to the Broncs. We can't be paying 15% of our cap to a guy who can't string two great games together in a row. Taylor, Bird, Boyd, Macca are a fine spine, with KNik and Kahu very handy spine reserves.

Time to move on and have people at the club that aren't doing facility inspections, every other week, at other clubs.

Time to punt Glenn...sorry, we don't him compared to Milf....

Either way I hope he just makes up his mind real soon so he can focus on this year and cut out any bs excuses on why he's underperforming.

Time to punt Glenn...sorry, we don't him compared to Milf....

Yeah this.

We have Glenn and Kahu off contract. Get rid of both of them if it means keeping Milford.

I would like them to re-sign, but if they are stopping us from giving Milford the money he wants, I wouldn't lose any sleep over them being let go. It's not like we don't have replacements.

Focus on Taylor and Elgy....get em both for milf money

Let's just offer Milf 1.5 - 2 million a season, that should be enough to keep him.

It will completely **** our salary cap, but we will keep Milford, which is the most important thing.

That type of offer will have the added bonus of experiencing what it is like to be a Tigers fan.

Yeah this.

We have Glenn and Kahu off contract. Get rid of both of them if it means keeping Milford.

I would like them to re-sign, but if they are stopping us from giving Milford the money he wants, I wouldn't lose any sleep over them being let go. It's not like we don't have replacements.

Punting Glenn ought to get us there...

Let's just offer Milf 1.5 - 2 million a season, that should be enough to keep him.

It will completely **** our salary cap, but we will keep Milford, which is the most important thing.

That type of offer will have the added bonus of experiencing what it is like to be a Tigers fan.

The Tigers salary cap was a result of paying multiple players massive overs.

Us paying overs for one player, which is just money he is going to earn in the near future, isn't going to have that kind of impact on us. Especially since we have several players nearing retirement.

The Tigers salary cap was a result of paying multiple players massive overs.

Us paying one player over a mil, which is what he is going to earn in the near future, isn't going to have that kind of impact on us especially when we have a few players nearing retirement.
Boyd will get good money... Bird was signed on big money (although probably not as high as the media are suggesting)

We also have no idea what that cap will be.

We also have to have 30 players under the cap instead of the previous 25.

I'm bullish about our chances of retaining Milford, but if Melbourne make a serious play, we have every cause for concern.

Successful club, top notch coach, QLD connections in Smith and Slater, and money to burn with Cronk abdicating as the salary cap increases.

Not to mention Melbourne's MO is to go top heavy on their cap usage and surround key players with well drilled journeymen.

This assumes serious overtures are made, which is conjecture at this point. Melbourne still have Croft, Jacks, Munster and Slater as options for play on the halves already on their books.

Active Now

• Battler
  • NSW stables
  • Astro
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Lozza
  • ivanhungryjak
  • winslow_wong
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.