RUMOUR Anthony Milford to the Storm

So if Milf goes to Melbourne he'll magically fit into their structure?

How many NRL players in Melbourne team are Victorian born and bred? I can't think of any, or for that matter, Victorians across the whole NRL. I don't know what the ARL does in Victoria, but whatever it does isn't enough. The whole point of the storm is to grow the game down there. From what I know, the storm has a profile, but it seems to be seriously under-utilized. Its a parasite for Brisbane juniors and ARL money and that is fair enough to a point, but its over 10 years down the track since their inception and there's bugger all that has come through the local ranks for them. I can't think that there are no junior athletes capable of playing league down there. Not everyone is built for afl. Something is seriously broken, if that is the nrl's idea of success, and God help us all if there were two "storms".
Better a second Brisbane team, or an Ipswich/redcliffe one. They at least have juniors playing the game.

LOL! My post wasn't a serious one. I thought that was obvious.

Regardless of whether Milford is worth 1 mil or not, he's at least worth a considerably more than Jack Bird. Would be a pretty shit swap since Bird is on a lot too (as I understand it).

Thought the bird contract was for around the $750 k mark.

Thought the bird contract was for around the $750 k mark.

the media have changed that value ... it is currently 1.2 million, but should rise again next week

TBF, Smithy would be perfect for him to find his feet and learn game control.
And that could be the attraction, plus Bellamy has become a bit of a star maker in recent years, whereas Bennett hasn't really produced an immortal since lockyer

2012 and 2013 do not exist hence 1992+23=2017 ok also....

Jack bird has rheumatoid arthritis or however u spell it.. his career will be cut shorter cause of that.

If we loose Milford..... we have to get ash taylor... Kodi is not ready to be in the halves full time yet. i also don't see bird +milf or bird+kodi working at all... both combinations are just instinct players. no game management. that's what needs to be replaced.

Milf/taylor.. that is a halves combination.. and has to be what Brisbane is going after... and if milf leaves it will put a spanner in the works.. and if they have to pay him, even more, money than the now new offer of 1mil+ a seasons also with third party payments over 4 years.. they won't have enough money left for taylor i have a feeling the reason why Brisbane have not thrown the bank at milf.. is they need some money left to go after taylor.

Also..i dont think we should let kahu go... to free up money... glenn on the other hand i am ok with.

glenn on the other hand i am ok with.

If Glenn's contract offer is as small as @Smokin' Joe suggests, then losing him wouldn't free up any money as we would still have to replace him in the squad with a player on a similar contract

If Glenn's contract offer is as small as @Smokin' Joe suggests, then losing him wouldn't free up any money as we would still have to replace him in the squad with a player on a similar contract

Ageed , if glenn is on base salary then that is exceptional. He has experience and seems to gel with all the players.

Is Brisbane's new offer of 1mil a season with nrl approved third party over four years... is the third party included in the 1mil or.... will the third party possibly bolster it up to 1.1-1.2mil which is what storm is offering.

Last edited:
THe reality is, it is all a balancing act. As good as Milf already is and particularly how good he will hopefully become, we just can't break the bank to keep him. We are the Broncos, we have players staying for less all the time and if Milf walks, so be it. Someone else will come along and we just have to work doubly hard to make it happen.

Letting Taylor walk for nothing was the stupidest thing this club has done since Griffin decided it would be a good idea to play Hoffman as a 6. Letting Milf walk will hurt if he wants to chase money but having Bird and KNik already signed on makes that blow a little softer than it would be if we had no one at all capable of playing at 6.

THe reality is, it is all a balancing act. As good as Milf already is and particularly how good he will hopefully become, we just can't break the bank to keep him. We are the Broncos, we have players staying for less all the time and if Milf walks, so be it. Someone else will come along and we just have to work doubly hard to make it happen.

Letting Taylor walk for nothing was the stupidest thing this club has done since Griffin decided it would be a good idea to play Hoffman as a 6. Letting Milf walk will hurt if he wants to chase money but having Bird and KNik already signed on makes that blow a little softer than it would be if we had no one at all capable of playing at 6.

Letting Taylor walk was the correct move. He wasn't getting in front of Hunt or Milford any time soon. They were viewed as our long term halves pairing for at least 5 years. No one saw Hunt leaving this year. Taylor would have walked at the end of the next year (2016) anyways for better opportunities elsewhere.

Is Milf really playing like a player worth 800k more than his halves partner (Niko) at the moment? Don't get me wrong, I'll be absolutely livid if we lose Milf, but maybe Wayne already has a quality HB signed, sealed, and about to be delivered and isn't going to let Milf's management hold him to ransom when he has a bloke currently playing for the Kiwis to turn to.

If we had Wayne around instead of Hook our halves pairing at the moment could very well be Taylor/ Norman. The latter of which encapsulates just how horrid Hook is as a coach.

If money is the sole consideration, Milford will join the Storm.
Their massive offer would make him the highest-paid player in Melbourne’s 19-year history _ eclipsing the $1 million deals for Storm duo Cameron Smith and Billy Slater.
But the Broncos aren’t sitting idle. Originally the parties discussed a three-year, $2.7m deal. Now Brisbane will make Milford their first $1 million player as they thrash out a four-year term that includes NRL-approved third-party agreements.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/b174e86b034da21e6f61701282235eff

I wonder how they could make Milford their first million dollar player ... since according to the media Bird signed for over a million a season. that would make Bird their first million dollar player

And that could be the attraction, plus Bellamy has become a bit of a star maker in recent years, whereas Bennett hasn't really produced an immortal since lockyer

Is Bellamy really a star maker? How many players that leave go on to be just as good as they were in Melbourne?

Or is it those players look better because they are playing in a well drilled side with Cronk, Smith and Slater? I can't think of a single player that didn't go downhill when they left.

Cronk, Smith and Slater, Bellamy gave them the resources they needed to develop and they did the rest by putting in extra work for years.

Apart from that, every other player has looked better in the Storm system but once they left, just haven't been the same.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/b174e86b034da21e6f61701282235eff

I wonder how they could make Milford their first million dollar player ... since according to the media Bird signed for over a million a season. that would make Bird their first million dollar player
Exactly, if the cap next year is going to be 9.25 mil (as suggested), that would leave 7.25 million to be divided amongst 28 players. That would be roughly 260K per player and then take into account the players already signed for next year which would make the average less. I can't imagine any team being able to afford two million dollar contracts which is why I think all these reported numbers are greatly inflated.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Dash
  • Midean
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Manofoneway
  • Astro
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.