Any AFL Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by CaptainHook, Jun 4, 2017.

1. AndyB

AndyB NYC Player

My thoughts on AFL.

Wanted to comment on this since I live in an AFL focused state.
    Background, I moved from NZ to Perth in '09, I met my wife to be when we were both in Europe travelling.
    She was a die hard West Coast Eagles fan, but I have pretty much converted her to Rugby League, she finds AFL soft and boring now haha.

I have tried to get into AFL but as some have mentioned above find the game sloppy, untidy, seagulls fighting over a chip and yes I have never understood why you get a point for missing.
    Their athletic capability is second to none but skill set not so much. The number of players who can't kick off both feet is staggering.

It's a very over analysed game and people get excited by the smallest things.
    Channels 7, 9 and 10 push it down your throats every night here, one of the reasons I refuse to watch them.
    Even channel 9 here shows bugger all coverage of league despite their deal. Still have live games here on TV though. The West Australian newspaper is just as bad, only time RL gets a mention is if there is a scandal. I'm going off track here but just wanted to explain what RL fans are up against here in the West.

I agree with others who have said RL is a better product but is behind AFL, and that comes down to grassroots level. I believe one of the reasons for Aussie Rules growth is that parents don't want their kids playing RL because it is too rough etc.
    AFL have done a good job in growing the game at grassroots, no fees, seeing an increase in playing numbers in once RL, union, football (soccer) areas.

2. Sproj

Sproj

AFL is just as violent and dangerous as league, probably more like NFL in that players can get clobbered from every angle, especially unsuspectingly from the back at times.

The problem is that league players usually come from lower socio-economic backgrounds and are generally far less articulate, hence he public perception that league is more dangerous and full of boofheads.

Unfortunately, when he have boofheads running the game, boofheads commentstong the game and boofheads being interviewed regularly, that reputation is warranted. The AFL do a great job of sweeping their early retirements due to head injuries under the rug.

As for the Lions, they have their highest draft picked player about to head home after less than two years despite giving assurances he wouldn't when drafted, hence what they are up against. They have a good young squad, if only they could keep them together as the go-home five could have made this current squad very competitive.

3. uptheguts

uptheguts QCup Player

Don't mind watching the grand final, but in essence it is a foreign game to me , on a par with basketball. It all depends on what code you grew up with . Much prefer AFL to soccer which I just can't watch . They do have good commentators.

4. Accept

Accept NRL Player

Sawtell
    Both my sons played AFL in the juniors. In fact, my younger son played Rules on Sat and League on Sundays. The biggest difference is the parental behaviour. There are no stubby drinking, bogan looking, hard living folks on a Sunday morning at an U8 match in AFL. If there was, they are promptly told to go and join a RL club.

5. Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos NRL Player

My mate was telling me about the AFL today that Richmond haven't won a title in 40 years and haven't been in the final for 38 so I'm going to watch it even though I haven't watched AFL in my whole life

SuperCoach likes this.
  6. Sproj

Sproj

Just don't expect league and imagine yourself getting paid to play all those ball games we loved in primary school but never took seriously and you might enjoy it...you also might fall asleep but one thing is for sure, the atmosphere will be electric.

GKDonkey likes this.
  7. No Mark or Dave and The Killers still slayed it.

As much as I enjoyed Cold Chisel before the 2015 Grand Final, that maybe the best live band any code has been to get together.

8. Allo

Allo NRL Player

They **** nailed it. Missed Dave's presence - Mark I've felt doesn't add anything outside of playing bass. Tiny hiccups in the first riff on RMM and a slight rush on Mr B but awesome nonetheless. Brandon was trying so hard to amp that pitiful sized crowd up. I know you don't want the turf damaged but that was pretty poor.

9. Yeah there were tiny gaffs through out the performance (adding to the list, Brandon slipped during WYWY, he also botched a lyric on Somebody Told Me) but on the whole they put together a really energetic performance. Brandon's vocals are always on point and Ronnie is just a man man with the sticks. Of the two 'performers' they've always been the two to stand out whenever I've gone to see them.

The track-list was pretty good. Their three biggest hit, their new lead single, a famous Aussie cover...the only elephant in the room was Read My Mind. It was the come down song of the set, but felt a touch indulgent, like the band gave the crowd three songs, so they get to share their personal favourite. It's a nit-pick but on a day about BBQs, Meat Pies and Beers a track like Runaways or Matter of Time would have been more fitting.

I'm still buzzing from that performance. It just jogged an old memory I had from 2009 when they were touring. They actually played a gig on my birthday down on the Gold Coast. I remember had tickets to go, but I was so sick at the time I had to give them away - really sucks because I never got to see them perform their Day & Age set.

I may have to make amends...

10. Allo

Allo NRL Player

Tickets on sale Tuesday 2pm. Def getting GA standing and rushing to the front if I can. I can’t miss this. I moved down here just after BB so I haven’t had a chance to see them.

11. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    The Killers played a Midnight Oil song... How dare they bring politics into footy! Tony Abbott must be seething!

/s

12. GKDonkey

GKDonkey NRL Captain

Crows are done here

Sproj likes this.
  13. Sproj

Sproj

Sure are, just watch the celebration at full time!

GKDonkey likes this.
  14. Mitchell_Broncos

Richmond **** them over!

SuperCoach likes this.
  15. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    Really good effort from Richmond. On paper, they've got a fairly no-name team, but they've worked out what their good at and done it well.

GKDonkey likes this.
  16. GKDonkey

GKDonkey NRL Captain

I loved the f-bombs in the end of game interviews, Dustin Martin seems like a bit of a sack just for interest's sake

Sproj and Bucking Beads like this.
  17. Sproj

Sproj

Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin and Rance are their version of the 'spine' and are all very good to the best in their positions but yeah outside that, they were really smart in trades and bought in really smart draft picks.

I reckon the Lions are about two years from finals just quietly, they are heading in a similar direction.

18. Mitchell_Broncos

After watching that game today and it being my first, I might watch some more AFL games next season, when does it start again?

SuperCoach likes this.
  19. Educate me on the Lions, Sproj. The basic gist I get is that they keep drafting young guys who either get injured or use the Lions to boost their own careers and then head elsewhere. Have they actually nailed a few good talents down? What's the story?

20. Sproj

Sproj

Yeah the old recruiting in what you say is spot on. They've had some really good draft picks who have all gone home. Guys like Yeo and Polec have gone on to become superstars at their clubs.

Others like Aish could have been built around but wanted out for 'homesickness'. Schache is the latest but he re-signed and that is huge for the club.

The Lions changed tact a couple of seasons ago and started recruiting country kids and Qlders and it seems to be working. They have picked up some great early picks the last two years and have had top level talent in their academy which they haven't had before, particularly Hipwood (who looks like he will be an absolute freak), Keays and Allison. Ballenden this season too.

They've recruited well with Beams (the captain), Christiansen, Martin and Robinson but these guys have all been injured and the rest of the side is too young to cope at this stage.

They are on the way up but need a lot to go their way but the coach chosen seems like an inspired decision. They also have a new training facility.

Top stuff.

GKDonkey and Big Pete like this.