ANZ Stadium my preferred home ground - De Vere

Kee said:
I did get my trumpet taken off me when I sat in the Western for the GF though.

I wonder why. [icon_evillaugh

Best memory of that ground (and there are many many of them) was the Qualifying Final in 2002 against Parra. The Parra Jesus and his crew broke out a fight with a Broncos fan walking past them in the Southern Stand, and no joke I think the whole Bay went in and threw the fists [icon_lol1.

My best memory of ANZ was winning tickets in the Western Stand. (I was a season ticket holder in the Eastern Stand)

Food was included, had to go inside & eat there.

The look of horror from the Western snobs, when we turn up in our Broncos gear. (They were all in their expensive clothes) [icon_lol1.

They all were drinking the expensive wine, then the food arrived.

Caviar arrived which we declined. Then the prawns arrived. They were eating them so delicately.

I tried one & started coughing & I said ever so politely that they had been FROZEN.

Don't get me started on the looks we got when we started cheering when the Broncos scored a try.

ANZ was awesome as a little kid, heaps of room to run around you could bash the metal inderneath you with your feet when there were kicks at goal and it wasn't all that far from where I grew up. Having said that I didn't enjoy going with my mates to the place in high school it got so fucking cold out there and the atmosphere was rubbish compared to insular Suncorp.

I loved ANZ. Nothing like sitting in the front row...20 metres from the sideline icon_thumbs_u

Went to my first ever Broncos game at ANZ icon_thumbs_u Against Parra in 2002, don't think it was the qualifying final though, but yeah they lost. Can't remember much about it, only that I was super excited that my dad was taking me to the footy, I was 11 at the time.

I only got to go to one game at ANZ, Broncos vs. Newcastle in 2000. Lockyer scoring the winning try with 5mins to go. MacDougall & Wendell had a bit of a tiff. Then after the game, out on the street, I tried to take a witches hat, tripped over and fell on my face.

Some guy with a one of those big flags with the old bucking bronco laughed at me. I wonder if it was one of you guys.

Andrew Gee using Andrew Johns as a body board on grass, hahaa, loved that stadium...

Seriously, for me I quite liked the place, $12.50 adult GA ticket meant I could go to just about every game I had time to see it.

Look, I can't complain too much about the stadium aside from the general crappy-ness of it. But I think EVERYONE has so many fond memories of the place, we were almost unbeatable there and I know I have a very big soft spot for the place. Attending Broncos games with my old man as a kid of 9-odd years old, the SL grand final & even spending the last few matches we played there with Coxy, Aeetee & Jebba, among others, in the first half of 2003.

Locky scoring a 50 metre runaway try on the siren to complete a big win against the Storm, and the subsequent "Locky! Locky! Locky!" chant was a great way to see the frying pan out. icon_thumbs_u

Christ. It was a joke caniffe. You know, they renamed Telstra Stadium to ANZ Stadium. Get it? Ha ha.

I only saw one game there - vs Wests in 1999. We won 50-0. Had a great time though being so young.

Steve said:
I only saw one game there - vs Wests in 1999. We won 50-0. Had a great time though being so young.

I remember that game. Broncos had just beaten Balmain and then had a bye, but were still stone motherless last. We were getting ready to go to the game and, trying to be optimistic, I said "we're going to win 50-0". I even tipped that in a comp I was in where you had to tip the score.

[icon_lol1. If only I'd put money on it!!

Steve said:

I remember offering a Magpies fan that I knew 50 1/2 start before that game - he didn't take it! [icon_lol1.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Fozz
  • Jazza
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • theshed
  • cento
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Bongo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • Mighty Bronx
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.