ANZ Stadium my preferred home ground - De Vere

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos Press Release said:
‘Old’ ANZ Stadium Honoured As Bronco Home
The Queensland Sports and Athletic Centre – or ANZ Stadium as it was formerly known – has today been honoured for its place in the history of the Brisbane Broncos.
As part of the Centenary of Rugby League celebrations, a plaque designating the ground as a place of importance will be set into stone at the venue.
Broncos’ chief executive Bruno Cullen and former Brisbane, NSW and Australian point-scoring machine Michael De Vere unveiled the plaque in a ceremony this morning.
Cullen said the success the club had achieved at the Lang Park would not be forgotten, with the Broncos racking up 101 wins, four draws and just 25 losses in a decade there.
“The stadium was kind to us – we managed to win four premierships during our tenure there,†said Cullen.
“It will always be remembered as a bit of a ‘fortress’ for us during what was the most successful on-field period in the history of the Brisbane Broncos club.â€Â
ANZ Stadium was the venue for an amazing run of home ground dominance for the Broncos, who were unbeaten in 24 straight matches there between June 30, 1996 and May 1, 1998.
De Vere, who scored more points than any other person at the ground, said he had always enjoyed playing at the old ANZ Stadium.
“The surface of the ground was always perfect and we certainly seemed very difficult to beat there,†said De Vere.
“I enjoyed playing at ANZ Stadium immensely.â€Â
The venue was also the host of the 1982 Commonwealth Games, when it was known as the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium.
Today’s plaque was one of almost 180 being unveiled around the country by the Australian Rugby League, with 63 of those plaques destined for Queensland country towns.
The Broncos will have two further unveilings during the season to honour their home base of Red Hill and current home ground, Suncorp Stadium.

[eusa_clap.gi Best rugby league venue the Broncos have utilised, clearly reflected by their playing record there.

Let's hope Bruno and the board move to play some games there in the future.

Wonder if this will hook anybody.

Sh*ts on Suncorp from a great height.

In terms of transport to and from the game, match-day parking, view, atmosphere and proximity to the field, it offered the best RL experience in the world.

[icon_shady

lol they should nuke it. Horrible place to watch football. No wonder Brian Smith called it the graveyard.

It's been re-zoned as industrial or something, so why a plaque?

To reflect its standing as the best home venue the Broncos have ever utilised. It is the Centenary of Rugby League afterall.

I for one would be proud if my factory or warehouse had that plaque on its grounds.

I hope they knock it down with the stadium.

[icon_lol1. As if. World's best league venue needs to be remembered.

Hate that goddam place.

Not only is it the worst rugby league ground in history, but i had to sit GAMSAT there earlier this year!

im surprised by the hate of anz stadium, remember the old days when we had a home game and KNEW you were going to win. those were the days.

Exactly! And getting there and away was superb. And access to food was easy and effective. And it was far more comfortable, more leg room etc.

I miss it.

and those wonderful metal seats....so comfy. and the way the wind howled through the grand stands, gave the real true feeling of winter.

Exactly! The real football experience!

Did you ever go to ANZ Stadium, Rock? Unless you have you can't compare.

It was a great feeling knowing you could wander in with as big a flag as you wanted, sit almost wherever you wanted, jump and make noise and know you had a 90% chance you were going to watch your team win.

Nothing beats it.

The current home game experience is a joke. It's more like attending a musical or cinema. You go, you're comfortable, but there's no passion or enjoyment. Might as well stay home.

I wonder if anyone is really buying this crap

I had two uni exams last semester at the top of the western grandstand there, one during the day and one at night. Man it was a terrific sight (I'm being serious btw, unlike others here), especially the one at night as the QAS soccer teams were playing a game on the main field. And yes I did concentrate enough to pass the exams.... :P

I preferred ANZ stadium.

At Suncorp you are packed in like sardines.

Everything was better at ANZ.

Greatest atmosphere.
Those metal seats and the aluminium bashing made such a load noise compared to Suncorp and the hush hush.
I don't think the seats at Suncorp are more comfortable at all.Too squeezed in.No leg room.

Great club to.Especially on game days.
Wonderful memories were made at that ground.
SL Grand Final in the midst of a violent thunder storm.Tri Nations against Canberra was one of the best games ever.

I did get my trumpet taken off me when I sat in the Western for the GF though.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Bish
  • Morepudding
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.