RANT Are You a Fan of The NRL Still?

Do you enjoy the NRL these days?

• I love it - watch every game

• I enjoy it - watch most games

• It is ok - I watch some games

• I am not really enjoying it - watch sporadic games

• Can't really stand it - only watch Broncos games

• Hate it - I can barely watch even Broncos games

• This sport is crashing and burning - I can't watch anything, not even Broncos games

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am a canberra raiders fan.

We are famous for watching and blaming officiating.

I can attest to without a shadow of a doubt whinging at the refs in pretty much every raiders game I have watched and a lot of neutral games.

That all said:-
1 - I prefer one ref to two refs, you just get more consistency over a game. Two refs absolutely shat me.
2 - The reffing this year has been better then reffing in a long long time including last year - in my opinion the biggest reffing decisions are:-
- being clear and consistent on when the defensive line can push up.
- being clear and consistent on when a player is held and players have to release and GTFO
- making the right decision on knock ons in the play the ball - these should only be a penalty if the defensive player knocks / kicks / shoves the guy playing the ball causing the error. Players dropping the ball cold, or milking a drop far too often got this call - this has been less so this year.
3 - Go to every fan site, of every NBA or NFL side and you will see threads / game threads bitching and moaning about refs.
4 - Captains challenge is a net positive - even though the video ref, this is the first year I would be happy if he fucked off, because the on field refs have been pretty accurate. If anything it gives the players an opportunity to challenge or shut the **** up and tackle.
5 - one sided reffing happens - you could make a case it helped brisbane in 2005 - a very good case in fact. But imo it is happening less and less now - but when you are shit and i say this as a canberra fan (who will need help from the refs tonite) you need more 50-50 calls and 70-30 calls go your way to get the win, when they tend to go the better performing sides way so it hurts doubly more.

Look I enjoy blaming the refs as much as anyone - I still havent gotten over the 2019 GF but again it is what it is, and they are improving.
Interesting reading this from another team's fan. I'm in agreeance (despite being a bronco fan)

I think at the core, the rule changes come from a good place. But the execution is so so so bad. I used to ref , so I know the pressures of in-the-moment unbiased decision making - it's hard. Certain teams piss you off and you make calls and stick by them. Sometimes they're wrong, the game is quick.

But these guys are meant to be the creme of the crop - and they got a guy upstairs lending a helping hand... And they're just not good.

Every weekend we see inconsistencies on every level. It's really hard to maintain interest as a neutral fan when it feels like a lottery. Consistency in decision making is more important than getting it right everytime.

Also... 2019 grand final that was a prime (and awful) example... That hurt so bad, and I don't really care about the Raiders. Understand why you're not over it.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Alec
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Porthoz
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.