Ash Taylor granted permission to look elsewhere

Just on your last line I don't think if we lose them it will be because we signed Boyd. Boyd did not come here on big money although I've been led to understand that his contract increases with performance ( games played, attitude ect ). Keeping Kahu/ Copley should be relatively easy with Stagg, Lowrie and others moving on. The Broncos are not going to lose a player just because we signed Boyd who in my opinion was the right signing as he was proven, a former Bronco returning home, current with renewed enthusiasm and relatively cheap for his status in the game and despite the first grade unproven Kahu's claims to FB , we had had Hodges playing there last year...and that went well hey ha ha !

For me it's not a question of money but who plays where and in what grade. Again, next year will be interesting, especially if Hodges decides to stay for another year, and then there's vexed Vidot...

For me it's not a question of money but who plays where and in what grade. Again, next year will be interesting, especially if Hodges decides to stay for another year, and then there's vexed Vidot...
Oh, fair enough and you are right , that is really the question. It's true we may have been okay without signing Boyd but looking at this year in isolation it may still be that having a class fullback with current and previous form is the thing that gets us a premiership. I think Boyd will keep getting better but his presence as you say may affect the team in 2016 and beyond.

Wait, so we've given up on Hunt based on someone who barely shows up until the second half? If we wanted someone like that I'd much prefer Shaun Johnson.

It's all about premiership windows IMO, ours is now and next year and Taylor does not figure in those plans.

I'm happy for him to go to another side and play NRL if he proves good enough, but wedging him into our side now at the expense of Boyd or Hunt isn't going to improve the team, it's just an unnecessary gamble.

Expect the Ash Taylor to Titans announcement any day now. For those of us hoping to one day see him return to the Broncos will have to wait until at least 2019.

Broncos rookie Ashley Taylor snubs Manly’s Bob Fulton to sign with Gold Coast Titans

THE Titans have scored a $500,000 coup with Broncos young gun Ashley Taylor rejecting overtures from Manly supremo Bob Fulton to pledge his future to the embattled Gold Coast.

The Junior Kangaroos sensation’s verbal agreement to join the Titans is a major boost for the club ahead of their derby clash with Taylor’s Broncos on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Taylor was one of the most sought-after youngsters in the code. The Titans, Manly, Cowboys and Dragons all expressed interest in the 20-year-old playmaker.

The Sea Eagles were considered frontrunners to snare Taylor after Fulton ramped-up his strategic plan to pair him with Daly Cherry-Evans, who sensationally reneged on his Titans deal last month.

Instead the Gold Coast have won the race for Taylor. The Toowoomba product told the Titans he wants to remain close to family and the parties will settle financial terms in the coming days.

The Titans initially tabled a two-year deal but are prepared to offer a third season to secure Taylor until the end of 2018.

The acquisition of Taylor helps ease the pain over the loss of Cherry-Evans, whose defection left Titans coach Neil Henry scrambling for a viable playmaking replacement.

Fulton has a high opinion of Taylor and viewed Cherry-Evans as a handy mentor but the Sea Eagles are facing a salary cap crisis that could lead to an exodus of Manly stars.

Taylor will team with fellow rookie Kane Elgey at the Titans scrumbase next season and underscored his talent with a sizzling display as the Broncos under-20s beat the Tigers 40-24 last Sunday.

Taylor has yet to play first grade but Broncos under-20s coach Craig Hodges insists the young halfback would not be out of his depth in the NRL next season.

“Ashley is ready,’’ Hodges said. “I have every confidence in him to make the jump to the NRL.

“I think it’s an exciting opportunity if the Titans blood two young halves. It would be exciting for their club and exciting for the players themselves.

“Often in our game, NRL players get recycled just because they’ve been in a system but it’s great to see a young bloke like Ashley coming through.

“He has a wonderful future in the game. Ash has great speed and good size for a halfback. He’s around (183cm) and over the next 12 months he will fill out and become a 90kg playmaker, so when he runs at the line he will have the speed and strength to pull through half gaps.

“He also has a very good kicking game and the ability to organise, so I have no doubt those strengths in his game can be transferred to the NRL.”

Source: Broncos rookie Ashley Taylor snubs Manly?s Bob Fulton to sign with Gold Coast Titans

If he is 83cm, then he's had a mighty growth spurt since middle of last year when I met him. I felt like I towered over him and I'm 82cm...

I've always been one of Ash's biggest fans as my son played with and against him in T'ba. He's one of those players that you follow patiently and almost dare not put a curse on him by talking him up.

I've been dreading him leaving the Broncs, but as I've just realised, this isn't the worst thing to happen as now I get to see him with that big chance I'd always hoped for him and I'm salivating at getting to watch him week-in, week-out showing his wares. He'll at least be doing his NRL apprenticeship oer the next couple of years (something we can't offer) and I have confidence in him returning, if it's right for both parties at the time. He grew up a Bronco, from the Darling Downs. They aren't fairweather supporters out there.

That disturbs me...

midget.jpg

What he needs is a Foran clause so that he can return to Brisbane whenever he wants ...

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • The True King
  • Foordy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • azza.79
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Alec
  • Mister Wright
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Griffo
  • Broncosgirl
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.