Ash Taylor granted permission to look elsewhere

The article states it was Bennett.

I posted the full quote towards the start of the thread.
Well then I don't agree Wayne ! Mind you he's a lot better placed to judge and comment but still....

Last edited:
Let's just keep in mind that Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks are "NRL ready" but wouldn't have a starting spot at a lot of clubs. Every team has different standards and ours are starting to become higher again.

Of course, whining about how mean Porthoz is to WB, makes it so much easier to deflect from the subject, and devalue my opinions on the matter.

Yes...it is uncomfortable when that happens.
I had similar problems with a particular player that I had immense issues with. My opinions about the player were continually disrespected because of my zealousness in going after said player.

The real issues and the points I was making, were being totally overshadowed because..... I was being mean to him.

I'd say 2 before Boyd retires. But let's start by getting the first one yeah?

Yeah !!

However....you did say "premierships,

and that's what caught my eye. :wink:

I think it's unrealistic to expect the highest excellence as the only complete measure of success.

2-3 yrs finishing in the top 4 should been seen as successful for Brisbane. Leading the comp 2/3 through the season is a success story in itself, compared to the years before us. We should be allowed to celebrate little wins, as well as the overall picture.

Wayne Bennett's work in progress, is successfully meeting and overcoming it's milestones.

Hazar !!

Yeah !!

However....you did say "premierships,

and that's what caught my eye. :wink:

I think it's unrealistic to expect the highest excellence as the only complete measure of success.

2-3 yrs finishing in the top 4 should been seen as successful for Brisbane. Leading the comp 2/3 through the season is a success story in itself, compared to the years before us. We should be allowed to celebrate little wins, as well as the overall picture.

Wayne Bennett's work in progress, is successfully meeting and overcoming it's milestones.

Hazar !!

Premierships are what I think we'd have got with a spine of Milford, Hunt and Taylor, hence the plural. Taylor is a super talent IMO though, so if we have these two guys who we can't move because they are going so well, then I think premierships has to be the benchmark.

To be fair though, outside of Boyd and Taylor recruitment decisions, I think WB has done a great job so far.

I think Darius Boyd is a super talent and I'm super glad our super talented coach brought Darius to our super talented club.

If we're a super talented club then why did we need to sign super talented players?

Obviously to become super dooper talented and top the ladder for most of the season.

And I don't think I'd enjoy watching players run over Taylor and then run over Milford.

I am really disappointed Taylor looks like he is going elsewhere.

To comment on some other posts .... FTR, I also wanted Milford to play FB (and 2nd 5/8) - perfect for his running game, with Kahu going to 5/8. I think that combination would have worked just as well as what we have now.

FTR, I also didn't believe we needed Boyd, especially locked in at FB. We had a very good FB in waiting - again, Jordan Kahu. He seems to have gone rather well there during Boyd's absence earlier this year.

Having said that, and that Bennett has a grand plan for the Broncos as per the media quotes posted above, with Milford at 5/8, Hunt
at 7, and Boyd at the back, and given where we are on the ladder, I am no longer going to argue with Bennett's plan and selections.

I am really enjoying watching Milf evolve at 5/8 and Boyd is playing really well. I am also enjoying where we are on the ladder.

Anyway, on point, as I see it, Taylor was set free because he no longer fitted Bennett's plan by asking to be set free. I really believe Bennett wanted Taylor to stay.

The real issue here for me is Hunt. We are about to enter the pointy end of the season. From now on, Hunt has to show he is what we really need in the halves.

For mine, he has had enough time to establish himself as our long term half back. Now, it is time to show it, when it counts. There is a top 4 finish at stake, and even maybe a premiership. Where we are on the table makes this a very logical assumption.

If Hunt performs as I hope he does, he will justify Bennett's plan, and make us all very very happy. Personally, I think he will.

If he doesn't, then I would have liked Taylor to be given a shot at half in 2016. That's why I am disappointed he has decided to leave.

Last edited:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ecruitment-radar/story-fniabrr8-1227438255853

MANLY are plotting to blindside Gold Coast yet again with bids for boom playmaker Ashley Taylor and highly-regarded trainer Dan Ferris.

Relations between the clubs hit rock bottom last month when Daly Cherry-Evans reneged on his Titans contract to sign a $10 million lifetime with the Sea Eagles.

Manly are set to rub salt into deep wounds as they ramp up their pursuit of Ferris and Titans target Taylor.

The Titans and Manly are now vying for the signature of Taylor, who was reluctantly given permission to leave by Broncos coach Wayne Bennett last week.

Taylor is torn over the biggest move of his career, with the Titans prepared to offer a two-year package worth around $400,000 and a move to the Coast which would enable the 20-year-old to remain close to family in Toowoomba.

Manly are dangling an equally lucrative deal and the opportunity to launch his NRL career alongside Cherry-Evans at one of the most successful clubs of the past 30 years.

The Titans expect an answer from Taylor this week and coach Neil Henry hopes the Coast can trump the Sea Eagles for the Junior Kangaroos halfback.

I don't see how playing with DCE is a plus, they just aren't very compatible.

I cant get over $10 mil for DCE. Have they actually been watching him play? Better hanging onto Foran or Stewart.

I hope this kid has a manager who has his interests at heart, and not their own.

I am really disappointed Taylor looks like he is going elsewhere.

To comment on some other posts .... FTR, I also wanted Milford to play FB (and 2nd 5/8) - perfect for his running game, with Kahu going to 5/8. I think that combination would have worked just as well as what we have now.

FTR, I also didn't believe we needed Boyd, especially locked in at FB. We had a very good FB in waiting - again, Jordan Kahu. He seems to have gone rather well there during Boyd's absence earlier this year.

Having said that, and that Bennett has a grand plan for the Broncos as per the media quotes posted above, with Milford at 5/8, Hunt
at 7, and Boyd at the back, and given where we are on the ladder, I am no longer going to argue with Bennett's plan and selections.

I am really enjoying watching Milf evolve at 5/8 and Boyd is playing really well. I am also enjoying where we are on the ladder.

Anyway, on point, as I see it, Taylor was set free because he no longer fitted Bennett's plan by asking to be set free. I really believe Bennett wanted Taylor to stay.

The real issue here for me is Hunt. We are about to enter the pointy end of the season. From now on, Hunt has to show he is what we really need in the halves.

For mine, he has had enough time to establish himself as our long term half back. Now, it is time to show it, when it counts. There is a top 4 finish at stake, and even maybe a premiership. Where we are on the table makes this a very logical assumption.

If Hunt performs as I hope he does, he will justify Bennett's plan, and make us all very very happy. Personally, I think he will.

If he doesn't, then I would have liked Taylor to be given a shot at half in 2016. That's why I am disappointed he has decided to leave.
I'm beginning to understand, at least in part why some of you are disappointed with Taylor leaving. I remember when we won a premiership with a very average halfback and proved it could be done. Nothing flashy and a solid tackler. Hunt has not stood up or out since before SOO and perhaps may never become that model of consistency we require. Having Taylor around to relieve him of his job may have been a great thing now that I think about it.

However, the bit about not needing Boyd because of Kahu I cannot agree. Boyd brought much more to the club than his game, he gave the fellow mature guys more support and showed to others about loyalty to the Broncos. For him, the Broncos were WB and to an extent I agree with that because after he left we became, just another team. When he returned, so did the Broncos.

I'm beginning to understand, at least in part why some of you are disappointed with Taylor leaving. I remember when we won a premiership with a very average halfback and proved it could be done. Nothing flashy and a solid tackler. Hunt has not stood up or out since before SOO and perhaps may never become that model of consistency we require. Having Taylor around to relieve him of his job may have been a great thing now that I think about it.

However, the bit about not needing Boyd because of Kahu I cannot agree. Boyd brought much more to the club than his game, he gave the fellow mature guys more support and showed to others about loyalty to the Broncos. For him, the Broncos were WB and to an extent I agree with that because after he left we became, just another team. When he returned, so did the Broncos.

I still have hopes that Hunt, and Hunt + Milford (the halves combination always comes first for mine) will come good as the season gets serious. He has done a lot of things which say "class" but consistency isn't one of them yet. We will see.

As for Boyd, I have acknowledged his great contributions this year. He is an asset to the team. At the same time, I maintain we didn't need a FB. Boyd is a separate issue. We had Kahu as a damn fine FB, and we have enough senior players to mentor the younger ones.

The last thing I want now is to lose Kahu and/or Copley, because of Boyd.

I still have hopes that Hunt, and Hunt + Milford (the halves combination always comes first for mine) will come good as the season gets serious. He has done a lot of things which say "class" but consistency isn't one of them yet. We will see.

As for Boyd, I have acknowledged his great contributions this year. He is an asset to the team. At the same time, I maintain we didn't need a FB. Boyd is a separate issue. We had Kahu as a damn fine FB, and we have enough senior players to mentor the younger ones.

The last thing I want now is to lose Kahu and/or Copley, because of Boyd.
Just on your last line I don't think if we lose them it will be because we signed Boyd. Boyd did not come here on big money although I've been led to understand that his contract increases with performance ( games played, attitude ect ). Keeping Kahu/ Copley should be relatively easy with Stagg, Lowrie and others moving on. The Broncos are not going to lose a player just because we signed Boyd who in my opinion was the right signing as he was proven, a former Bronco returning home, current with renewed enthusiasm and relatively cheap for his status in the game and despite the first grade unproven Kahu's claims to FB , we had had Hodges playing there last year...and that went well hey ha ha !

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • bb_gun
  • Spooky1013
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.